Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budding Photographer needs help!!

Default Re: Budding Photographer needs help!!

Thanks for the helpful post! I am setting up some pictures that I have taken on my myspace page soon I will post the link so whoever wants to go look can. As far as doing her wedding for the money the money is irrelevant because I do not plan on letting them pay me that amount for something I would be happy to do for the experience. I have two extra back up batteries an am thinking of purchasing a 530ex soon. The event is inside am planning on scooping it out a couple of times before hand to get some type of idea as to the layout as well as contacting the wedding coordinator to get the timeline of who is where an when laid out. Am hopping all goes well ,but I am up for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by rhgurl15 View Post
    Thanks for the helpful post! I am setting up some pictures that I have taken on my myspace page soon I will post the link so whoever wants to go look can. As far as doing her wedding for the money the money is irrelevant because I do not plan on letting them pay me that amount for something I would be happy to do for the experience. I have two extra back up batteries an am thinking of purchasing a 530ex soon. The event is inside am planning on scooping it out a couple of times before hand to get some type of idea as to the layout as well as contacting the wedding coordinator to get the timeline of who is where an when laid out. Am hopping all goes well ,but I am up for the challenge.
    I'm sure you as a mummy, you have eyes for the many details.
    you friends asking you, maybe is because of the way you look at things using your camera.
    since it is an indoor event, and you have not shoot with flash before, you should try to learn how to use flash now.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

also you need to know what is going to happen before it happens

best is to let your friend know that you do not have the experience, so results are not guaranteed
    this will be best just in case something goes wrong and you cannot deliver the images.

wedding photography is not just about creative and technical know how.

have fun and best of luck

Some risks / negative points to consider.

1.) Lost image files - maybe sd card spoil or accidently delete.
    2.) Missed the greatest moment or pic come out blur. If you friend remmebers it , you'll risk a strained relationship.
    3.) You wont get to enjoy the event to the fullest.
    4.) Hand tired from all the gear. Cumbersome to move around with all the gear.

If you're really to go for this, try to organise a simple dinner in a restraunt and test out firing with flash.
    The flash is not too easy to master if you are in a rush. And yes flash is a must indoors.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

To the TS, it's great you're very enthusiastic about jumping into this type of photography. As other people mentioned, you have to anticipate what is happening and where to be but also be able to direct people at a moments notice. A lot of wedding photographers I've talked to always started as a junior or backup to a lead as gaining experience is vital in this area. It's a very big step to jump into the lead photographers position. Straining your friendship, is it worth it?

I know someone who didn't hire a photographer but instead had someone from his office take the wedding day shots. She wasn't a pro a photographer but had some experience as she was a graphic artist. Suffice to say the wife wasn't happy with the results and they certainly weren't hurting for money either.

No venture no gain perhaps, but it's a very huge responsiblity on your shoulders to cover
    one's wedding where it's a one time moment for the couple. Do re-consider.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

sometimes when i think my pics i shoot for my friends are not up to scratch, i get a very stressed feeling. So my recommendation if its not so close friend its ok or else just have to take the risk

we are mutual friends only not lifelong buddies complete opposites but we are still mutual friends. I will try shooting in a few indoor environments over the next couple of months so that I can get more aquainted my flash settings. Am using a Sandisk extreme III 2gb card right now an am going to get a larger card to shoot with because 2gb is not enough at all.

1 thing to take note if you are going to prepare a montage of the morning activities to be displayed in evening dinner do remember to shoot in jpg cause you may not have enough time to convert.

we are mutual friends only not lifelong buddies complete opposites but we are still mutual friends. I will try shooting in a few indoor environments over the next couple of months so that I can get more aquainted my flash settings. Am using a Sandisk extreme III 2gb card right now an am going to get a larger card to shoot with because 2gb is not enough at all.
    Maybe try getting some sort of attachment with a Pro from now till the big day? Perhaps maybe post in the services offered section? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Until your in the thick of things, just reading won't give you the experience.

Good luck!

please tell us more about the wedding, for my understanding is not much guests (mid size), probably no ceremony, since it is start at evening, and it is 2nd marriage...

Well is her first marriage her daughter was adopted. there will be two flower girls, 1 ring barrier, 1 maid of honor, 2 bridesmaids, 1 bestman, 2 groosmen. There will be a small reception after the wedding I am getting headcount from the bride to be later this evening as well as more details.

I was thinking about getting the canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS to do some t-ball pics an some slightly further distance shots have played with the lens on a friend's camera before an liked it anyone else have any pro's or con's they would like to add on the lens? also I saw it on cameragiants.com for 349 with stabilization When I was looking to purchase it in store I found it locally for around 6 to 7 price range. I looked at a few things on that cameragiants.com an the prices look to good to be true on there equiptment seems kinda leery anyone ever used them?

Well is her first marriage her daughter was adopted. there will be two flower girls, 1 ring barrier, 1 maid of honor, 2 bridesmaids, 1 bestman, 2 groosmen. There will be a small reception after the wedding I am getting headcount from the bride to be later this evening as well as more details.
    that's a tradition westernize wedding ceremony, most of the holy maternity here (as in Singapore) does not have such large scale of wedding entourage...

At first I thought the wedding may be very causal, nothing formal, most of the shots are and will be impromptu...

you may attend lots of weddings before, very familiar with it, but to shoot a wedding is totally different stories, you must be very competent with your photography skills, everything you do is like instinct reflect.. either you get it or miss it..

Well, I guess you had already decided to take up this task, so hope that you will have enough practice before the day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12