Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a professional camera?

Default Re: What is a professional camera?

According to Ken Rockwell, a professional camera must not have any plastic parts, and verbatim I'll quote, "plastic parts that wear, like plastic battery doors, plastic CF card doors, plastic door catches, plastic filter threads, plastic rewind cranks or plastic lens mounts".
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    According to Ken Rockwell, a professional camera must not have any plastic parts, and verbatim I'll quote, "plastic parts that wear, like plastic battery doors, plastic CF card doors, plastic door catches, plastic filter threads, plastic rewind cranks or plastic lens mounts".
    According KRW we don't need any tripod anymore, it's useless since we all can get the great and all-problems-solving IS. He is outspoken, indeed. But that doesn't mean he's always right.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    ok, this one surely can classified as professional camera, it make it name and survived during Vietnam War..

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulworld View Post
    Yeah Jeremy, I did pay a lot of attention to this point that the person behind the camera is more important than the camera itself. After all with a good camera, people respect the camera

And yes Luntut, the most sophisticated cameras in the world will not make me a good photographer if my skill level cannot bring out the best in them. Still beginning with the end in mind is good for the pocket. It can be costly to sell off and start anew.

But guys, sorry if i sounded presumptious or arrogant. I am not.

Cheers!
    in this case, you'll need a gold Leica.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

ken rockwell's word must be taken with a pinch of salt 1

IMO; it's really the man behind the camera that make the camera. If you give me a 1Ds mk3 now; i doubt i would be able to utilize it fullest potential. So long you can get a good picture. Who cares you are using 1000D or 1D

But then again; if you are a commercial photographer; i do must agree that equipment still matter. It's a matter of face value.
    Playing with M43.

I HIGHLY doubt that a magnum photographer would be using a point and shoot and neither would be a war photographer.

Common war photographer setup would be a 1dmk3 and a 28-300mm. At least in the Australian army it is.

Pro wedding photographers setup is usually two pro bodies, or even a third as backup and their respective trinity lens line up (wide angle, mid zoom, telephoto) and primes if need be.

Studio photographers setup would be digital backs ie. phase one systems, or some do use 1ds3's and d3x's.

For those on more of a budget, 5D's and D700s would fit the bill.
    Canon 5D2, 1D3, 24mm/1.4L 50mm/1.2L 135mm/2L 16-35mm/2.8L II 28-70mm/2.8L 70-200mm/2.8L IS

Quote Originally Posted by occxlr8ed View Post
    I HIGHLY doubt that a magnum photographer would be using a point and shoot and neither would be a war photographer.

Common war photographer setup would be a 1dmk3 and a 28-300mm. At least in the Australian army it is.

Pro wedding photographers setup is usually two pro bodies, or even a third as backup and their respective trinity lens line up (wide angle, mid zoom, telephoto) and primes if need be.

Studio photographers setup would be digital backs ie. phase one systems, or some do use 1ds3's and d3x's.

For those on more of a budget, 5D's and D700s would fit the bill.

you are so sorely mistakened. there is recently this famous war photog, using a prosumer, i cant remember his name or camera, but he sure made all his shots count. and damn, are they good.

i will love to see YOU hand a 1D3 with 28-300 under enemy fire or mortar fire.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Australian army is sponsored by Canon?
    I read about one War photographer in Iraq war, he got even an award. The guy used PnS camera, simply because it's smaller and under certain conditions "pointing and shooting" just gets you the image where taking out any DSLR and start adjusting would result in losing the moment. Also, have you noticed how people change their behaviour once a 28-300 is pointed at them? PnS is small and gets unnoticed much easier. Can be life-saving for a photographer not being recognized.

Found the article: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
    Last edited by Octarine; 21st May 2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Link edited.

there is also no way that a PnS can be mistaken for an assault weapon...can be a life-saver in war zones

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulworld View Post
    there is also no way that a PnS can be mistaken for an assault weapon...can be a life-saver in war zones
    AFAIK / IIRC, a Reuters journalist was shot dead last year by U.S. coalition forces in Iraq after his video camera and microphone was mistaken for a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG). An investigation by Pentagon stated that the shooting was justifiable.

I believe that this was not the only incident of journalist being shot by friendly forces.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

you can highly doubt all you want,

i can see 8000 reasons why p&s or prosumer will be more suited for war photographer conditions, since weight is one thing, size is another thing.. i would not make such statements unless i knew of such things happening.

maybe you need to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why EVEN PENTAX ...

what you mean huh huh huh huh huh
    post up some of your wedding pics, pwetty pwease?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    post up some of your wedding pics, pwetty pwease?
    i will never do wedding photography because i will always compare myself in my mind to will03

i know he can do a better job always, so since there is someone out there who is available who can take better pictures and create happier memories for any couple...... i won't spoil their chances by entering the market.

These words were not invented recently. So it is unjustified to pick these words and reference to present usage pattern. Only one point. Professional cam were associated with prestige usage in the photo industry (not jewellery) and must carry certain price tag.

So all the small C/N/O and Pentax dslrs. Sorry no matter what you use for or who are you, they cannot be grouped under professional dslr, just plain dSLR used by professions.

To me, there is no professional camera.

There is only professionals that can use a camera to capture a photo that only a professional can see and take.

Is a formula 1 car a professional car

I bet that any of the Formula one drivers could get into your car and get it to do things that would make you scream

It is the person. Not the equipment.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

I bet that any of the Formula one drivers could get into your car and get it to do things that would make you scream

It is the person. Not the equipment.

I do not doubt that.

But the question is will a formula one driver wants to get into your car?

Imagine driving a passenger car in a formula one race.

He would prefer his own car.

His own car is what i termed as a 'professional camera'. It is that equipment that he uses for professional reasons. It can be a PnS or it may be a Hasselblad.

Doubtless an ordinary driver will not be able to drive a formula one car (nor should he even try) but at least, he would have known that that is the equipment preferred by some professionals.

Under some circumstances, this knowledge may be helpful to the novice driver as a standard of equipment and required skills.
    Last edited by beautifulworld; 21st May 2009 at 10:59 PM.

I also can get into your car and get it to do things that would make you scream... hahaha! But after that, don't look for me for claims...
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Of course - it's the car that earns the driver his money. In the same way Toyota Crown is a professional car .. as taxi

It uses a pro cam and it can be called a pro too:

Last edited by Sion; 21st May 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Deregistered

Hi Dear All,

Well said by all, a very good debated topic. This will make us as a "thinking" community!

When you used your humble camera, not a " Professional Camera" to shoot and trial, and shoot and trial... One day when someone realize that your photographs really reaches a profesional standard-- definitely there are some demands from your excellent photographs. Yet, you are still not a professional photographer, because you may not suffer from any hunger if you stop from taking your "professional " standard of pictures... simply said your pictures have attained a " professional" level, but not your main profession..hopefully your pictures may one day become classic pictures, which i reckon a much higher level of achievement.
    I like to reiterate my point earlier that a humble camera (not neccessarily a few grands of pro-cam) if it were to be felt into the hands of any experience professional photographer ( some one who earns butter and bread for his/her family), he/she will able to churn out beautiful photos ( with marketable commercial values) from this "humble" professional camera.
    I saw some true classic photos taken by some photographer legends in '50 and '60, their photos are few notch above the majority level of today's professional photographers' pictures ( my opinion). Some of them were using very simple camera with the least features that in today's standard, it wont even make it into amateur, but their camera are real professional camera.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast