Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice on hardware for photoshop

Default Re: advice on hardware for photoshop

If you ask me, I will go for a quad-core processor.

The quad-core processors are better in multitasking performances.

Hi,

I just built the following rig, with the main aim of speeding up Photoshop.The last two weeks it has been performing superly on Photoshop CS 4 (64 bits)....... it could be a reference for your rig

Photoshop CS 4 : It will install both 32 bits and 64 bits version of Photoshop on 64 bits operating system.

Operating system : Vista 64 bits

CPU : i7 Core 920

Motherboard: Gigabytes EX58-UD5

Ram: 6 Gbs DDR3

Main operating Disk : Drive C Western Digital Velocity Raptor (10000rpm)

Secondary drives : Drive D +Drive E 2 x 1 Tbs Western digital for storage.

Graphic Card: GTX260 supports image processing with full GPU acceleration for Photoshop CS4

The main reason for a 64 bits system is becos CS4 was actually designed for 64 bits operation.And 32 bits CS4 has major constrain in utilizing Ram beyond 3 Gbs whiles 64 bits operating system like the above support up to 12 gbs of ram. This will take care of most post-processing I do and CS4 does not have to access "scratch disk" and slow things down. The GPU accelerated image processing also give a further boost to CS 4.

The velocity raptor drive was installed for its speed and I maintain it relatively clean .... only operating system and programs , all files were store on drive D and backup on Drive E. As an extra kiasu measure , an old 250 Mbs Disk was slapped in as Drive F and it is SyncToy to auto backup all process files of Drive D. So effectively I have 3 copies of important files on Drive D, E and F

Do be aware that a number of 32 bits plugins are still lagging in upgrading to 64 bits , however it is a matter of time that these plugins will come in 64 bits version as well.

Hope the above help.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Bluesteel; 19th May 2009 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
    Hi,

I just built the following rig, with the main aim of speeding up Photoshop.The last two weeks it has been performing superly on Photoshop CS 4 (64 bits)....... it could be a reference for your rig

Photoshop CS 4 : It will install both 32 bits and 64 bits version of Photoshop on 64 bits operating system.

Operating system : Vista 64 bits

CPU : i7 Core 920

Motherboard: Gigabytes EX58-UD5

Ram: 6 Gbs DDR3

Main operating Disk : Drive C Western Digital Velocity Raptor (10000rpm)

Secondary drives : Drive D +Drive E 2 x 1 Tbs Western digital for storage.

Graphic Card: GTX260 supports image processing with full GPU acceleration for Photoshop CS4

The main reason for a 64 bits system is becos CS4 was actually designed for 64 bits operation.And 32 bits CS4 has major constrain in utilizing Ram beyond 3 Gbs whiles 64 bits operating system like the above support up to 12 gbs of ram. This will take care of most post-processing I do and CS4 does not have to access "scratch disk" and slow things down. The GPU accelerated image processing also give a further boost to CS 4.

The velocity raptor drive was installed for its speed and I maintain it relatively clean .... only operating system and programs , all files were store on drive D and backup on Drive E. As an extra kiasu measure , an old 250 Mbs Disk was slapped in as Drive F and it is SyncToy to auto backup all process files of Drive D. So effectively I have 3 copies of important files on Drive D, E and F

Do be aware that a number of 32 bits plugins are still lagging in upgrading to 64 bits , however it is a matter of time that these plugins will come in 64 bits version as well.

Hope the above help.

Cheers!

How much does it cost you to built this system? Does the 64 bits really a huge difference compare to 32 bits? What about the PSU? 750watts?

I am thinking of building a core 2 duo or quad core but have not really decide to go for 64 bit..

How much does it cost you to built this system? Does the 64 bits really a huge difference compare to 32 bits? What about the PSU? 750watts?
    All the above should be around $ 2.5 k including a CoolMaster 600 watts PSU modular (excluding LCD monitor and chasis).

The i7 Core 920 just running at stock at 2.67 GHz stock speed without overclocking and 6Gbs of OCZ 1333 Mhzs CL7 on CS4 (64 bits)/ Home Premium Vista (64bits) with the GPU on openGLas compare to 32 bits CS4 on the 64 bits Vista is at least 2-3 times faster in response even with working files in size up to 400 MB, everything is almost instantaneous.
    Last edited by Bluesteel; 19th May 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
    All the above should be around $ 2.5 k including a CoolMaster 600 watts PSU modular (excluding LCD monitor and chasis).

The i7 Core 920 just running at stock at 2.67 GHz stock speed without overclocking and 6Gbs of OCZ 1333 Mhzs CL7 on CS4 (64 bits)/ Home Premium Vista (64bits) with the GPU on openGLas compare to 32 bits CS4 on the 64 bits Vista is at least 2-3 times faster in response even with working files in size up to 400 MB, everything is almost instantaneous.
    Oh no..kena poisoned liao...
    Thanks for the info!

Compared to the icore7 above, I would rather recommend a budge setup with
    AMD Phenom II 940 (3.0GHz, but easily overclock to 3.6GHz) + 4x 2G Kingsdon HyperX DDR2 800Mhz + NVidia GS250 + 64 bits Vista + Sata Hardisks in RAID 1.

That probably cost around 1k+ and serve you very good in photo editing. Save the money for large monitor & calibrator + additional terabyte hardisks for backup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12