Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you get stares?

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    Shooting on the street to me....means social anthropology and a willingness and thirst to know more about other fellow humans....not just snap and go
    Yes you got the point there, hmm....looks like i will need to learn from you from now on

I totally agree with yeocolin... in Japan its pretty common. You can just point and shoot. The good thing is that most will actually pose for you. The kids love it and so do the general public (guys AND gals and all in between).

In Singapore, it depends... some like it, it most don't. Usually a smile helps. Also the equipment helps. Somehow a SLR type will invite less stares. As for kids, be smart... if the parents are nice and friendly they will usually allow it. If its a traditional auntie, or a "ah chek", you better back off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ammox77
    ...looks like i will need to learn from you from now on
    sorri guy, you will have to look within yourself.....my comments are just that....comments and hot air....

Look within yourself and make that commitment to step out of your comfort zone. ....if sincere....90% of time, you'll get green light....if the reply NO.....so what? You've given it a try and you still alive, right?

sorri guy, you will have to look within yourself.....my comments are just that....comments and hot air....

Look within yourself and make that commitment to step out of your comfort zone. ....if sincere....90% of time, you'll get green light....if the reply NO.....so what? You've given it a try and you still alive, right?
    advice noted

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeeee

GO SEE GO SEE!

Shooting on the street to me....means social anthropology and a willingness and thirst to know more about other fellow humans....not just snap and go....these are people and humans you're making images of....so dont treat them like innate objects.
    I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    yeah.the other time i went for the f1 powerboat race,i was like,wow! so many big guns around.i summon enough courage to take out my 602z and shoot but paiseh pple behind me stare.maybe too newbie liao,haven't get used to it.
    I can relate to that since i have the S602 but hey, i've got people who asked me if i was a professional when i was using my S602 with a Nikon SB24 mounted.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Me too...!! I also have the same feeling like wat helmetbox has described.. but i guess for me is i will try my best to be thick skin to take the shot... if im really awkward of the enviroment or people giving me stare... then i will just leave...

just too bad ...!

Im still learning a better method to take street photos... ed9119's advise is very good to try and follow...

this maybe the learning path all will go throught when taking street photo's.... am i right?

cheers...

simba
    Guests

My fave shots are those taken of people's expressions and those going about their usual life. The candid shots, I guess. So, I truly understand the thing about STARES.

Bottom line is that people are generally friendly to tourists

Always wear casual (but decent looking) clothes. Maybe wear a hat but never temper with sunglasses. Bring a backpack. If you get stares, just give them a casual "hello, how do you do" smile. If the parents ask, just tell them how adorable their kids are.

Quote Originally Posted by SuRfTeC
    Me too...!! I also have the same feeling like wat helmetbox has described.. but i guess for me is i will try my best to be thick skin to take the shot... if im really awkward of the enviroment or people giving me stare... then i will just leave...

just too bad ...!

Im still learning a better method to take street photos... ed9119's advise is very good to try and follow...

this maybe the learning path all will go throught when taking street photo's.... am i right?

cheers...
    ah pek photographers like us got no problem with stares, coz skin oredi thickened!
    little children will stare at us coz of our white hair and they may be thinking that ah kong is taking their pics, so no problem. old people dont bother us coz they thought that we may be the "official" photographers for events, coz white hair equates experience/good shooters! old aunties will be glad that still got ppl want to take their pics! young babe will let us take their pics coz they thought that all these hum sup ah peks dont have a chance to go near them unless we have very deep pockets! anyway where to find ah peks who know how to post their pics in the internet? :-)
    some benefits of ah pek photog.

Quote Originally Posted by lauLEE
    ah pek photographers like us got no problem with stares, coz skin oredi thickened!
    little children will stare at us coz of our white hair and they may be thinking that ah kong is taking their pics, so no problem. old people dont bother us coz they thought that we may be the "official" photographers for events, coz white hair equates experience/good shooters! old aunties will be glad that still got ppl want to take their pics! young babe will let us take their pics coz they thought that all these hum sup ah peks dont have a chance to go near them unless we have very deep pockets! anyway where to find ah peks who know how to post their pics in the internet? :-)
    some benefits of ah pek photog.

Impt thing is to always stay young in within!

You not only know how to post pictures on the web but also know how to use animated gif for your avatar! Not many know that wor! heheheheeee......... Must vote you for the "learner's choice award"

Now I know what disguise to put on when I go snap snap

Going to bleach my hair white tomorrow! Need experience badly

Last edited by HelmetBox; 19th November 2003 at 06:15 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox

Impt thing is to always stay young in within!

You not only know how to post pictures on the web but also know how to use animated gif for your avatar! Not many know that wor! heheheheeee......... Must vote you for the "learner's choice award"

Now I know what disguise to put on when I go snap snap

hahahahahahahahahaha................
    (btw how to insert Icons or smilies here?)

hahahahahahahahahaha................
    (btw how to insert Icons or smilies here?)
    Donnoe leh

Ah PEk!!!

U bleach hair white oso no use with the helmet always ON. HelmetBox black black everyone scares!

U bleach hair white oso no use with the helmet always ON. HelmetBox black black everyone scares!
    Anyway I tried taking photos with my helmet on, that way people stare at me I also not paiseh. But then no go leh. The viewfinder cannot reach my eyes....... Thot of an extended viewfinder....... in the end I decided to take my helmet off and thus started this initial post! wakakakaka!!!

Today went sentosa beach to do some 'across the sea street photography'

I overcame much of the stares issue. Used alot of tips you guys conjured But then its apparent that everyone thinks I'm a pervert just because I'm young and carrying a camera with a long lens, sad to be stereotyped.

Smiling at parents did however help them conclude that I'm no harm to their kids.

Smiling at men and women though did not have the same effects.

One guy even confronted me! After I told him I'm a nobody and just want to snap him playing volleyball, he concluded its no point hitting a gay. (GAY?!?!?!?!)

Some girls waved, only because my face was partly covered by the camera. Once they see me, they turned away. Damn.

Its sad though that many commented that I'm there to take pictures of girls. They apparently said things loudly so that I can hear them. Maybe I shouldn't have been to a beach. Argh. Must adopt the ah pek make up or dress up like a girl.

Anyway it was fun! ALL FUN!

ENJOY GUYS!

used to go around TP campus taking pics... guess no 1 thought it stranged cause it was the campus... and its tp... lol anyway, i usually use my 300 when i go taking candids and hide in the shadows... or buildings... so no much problem with stares. :P

Today went sentosa beach to do some 'across the sea street photography'

I overcame much of the stares issue. Used alot of tips you guys conjured But then its apparent that everyone thinks I'm a pervert just because I'm young and carrying a camera with a long lens, sad to be stereotyped.

Smiling at parents did however help them conclude that I'm no harm to their kids.

Smiling at men and women though did not have the same effects.

One guy even confronted me! After I told him I'm a nobody and just want to snap him playing volleyball, he concluded its no point hitting a gay. (GAY?!?!?!?!)

Some girls waved, only because my face was partly covered by the camera. Once they see me, they turned away. Damn.

Its sad though that many commented that I'm there to take pictures of girls. They apparently said things loudly so that I can hear them. Maybe I shouldn't have been to a beach. Argh. Must adopt the ah pek make up or dress up like a girl.

Anyway it was fun! ALL FUN!

ENJOY GUYS!
    Haha..you really made me laugh... One of the methods i use is to bring my dog along with me. I place him on a sit stay command in the direction i wanna shoot then pretend to shoot him but actually shooting something else

Quote Originally Posted by leebl
    Haha..you really made me laugh... One of the methods i use is to bring my dog along with me. I place him on a sit stay command in the direction i wanna shoot then pretend to shoot him but actually shooting something else
    wah idea! Nvr thot of bringing props along! And puppies are good female magnets too! Though as an exception, I got attracted to a few dogs on the beach. Couldn't resist, too cute. Thought it was rude to ignore their owners. Oh well.......

boink!

fling fling!

Now how to resist?
    Screw the L lens! I'm getting a dog!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast