Thread: fisheye lens???

Default fisheye lens???

Ok, i own a Canon 50D which has a 1.6x crop factor.

Always interested in the fisheye effect.

So wanted to rent a canon 15mm fisheye lens for a shoot I had recently, but I was advised not to by the person from the rental centre.

Reason being that after the crop factor sets in, there's no more fisheye effect.

So my question is, I should go(as in buy) for the 8mm fisheye instead? Just to have the 15mm (plus minus after the crop factor) fisheye effect? Or???

hmmm...

Oh and I do know that the other option is to upgrade to a full frame camera but yeah, that's out so thanks to those thinking of that suggestion but no thanks
    shOOtingOn
    It's Not What You Can Do, It's What You Can Show.

Default Re: fisheye lens???

Quote Originally Posted by photographer20 View Post
    Ok, i own a Canon 50D which has a 1.6x crop factor.

Always interested in the fisheye effect.

So wanted to rent a canon 15mm fisheye lens for a shoot I had recently, but I was advised not to by the person from the rental centre.

Reason being that after the crop factor sets in, there's no more fisheye effect.

So my question is, I should go(as in buy) for the 8mm fisheye instead? Just to have the 15mm (plus minus after the crop factor) fisheye effect? Or???

hmmm...

Oh and I do know that the other option is to upgrade to a full frame camera but yeah, that's out so thanks to those thinking of that suggestion but no thanks
    i have not seen 15mm canon, but i think more or less the same,

you see samples from the cheap option available to all mounts.. zenitar 16mm on cropped frame 1.5x, also not very good effect, you consider 1.6x for canon, even worse..

here is example, do a search for zenitar fisheye, then look through the results and see what camera was used, there is info at the side... personally it just looks like wonky wide angle lens.

there are many fisheye options, you don't necessarily have to do 8mm. i think tokina has 10-17mm equivalent of the pentax version.. see what sort of perspective you want.

examples of 10-17mm at 10mm on 1.5x sensor (pentax)
    link1
    link2
    link3
    link4
    link5

you can also search flickr for examples of 8mm fisheye, just remember to check whether dx or fx

flickr search

btw, you can always buy the peleng.
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th May 2009 at 07:32 PM.

cool thanks for the info and advise!
    shOOtingOn
    It's Not What You Can Do, It's What You Can Show.

For cropped bodies, the 8mm one will be nice cos Canon's 15mm fisheye is for FF bodies.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Have you tried using something like Photoshop to create a fisheye effect?