Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

  1. #1

    Default 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Hi! which would u all recommend? I am a newbie and want something which i can pick up... went to audio house to look at both... i like d60 for it is lighter, but doesnt have live view.. and the uncle tell me the video in d5000 sucks...
    I juz wanna take up as a hobby.. which would u recommend?? or i am open to other brands too.. any recommendation?
    d5000 cost 1,299.. so i think tats the max budget i have.... and visiting such shops as i would like to get the cam via installment...
    Pls advise! Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    IMHO, get D60 will do you good and use balance budget to get a good 2nd hand lense, like 50f1.8(manual F on D60) or 18mm to 105mm kit lens, to expand your arsenal.

    If you use liveview on DSLR might as well stick to PnS. I'm using a D90 but will NEVER use the video mode. Oh one more thing, once you do get a DSLR, blanko the Auto mode and start using PASM mode ok.

  3. #3
    Member HHenrYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    235

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    also imho , i would get D60 if i were you.

    just like what drspock says . if use liveview might as well use pns .
    but i muz say liveview is essential sometimes, especially for newbies like me, can use liveview to get the prespectives right.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    forget about the video mode unless u are very desperate.

    D5000 is more or less a D90 trapped in a smaller body. Better noise handling, more functions.

    But if u don't need them, just get D60, which i think is already pretty good.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  5. #5

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Get a 2nd Hand D80. You might get hooked on your hobby. :-}

  6. #6

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    i vouch for D5000.

    was a user of D80 (shares same sensor as D60) and now a current user of D90(same sensor as D5000)
    the iso capability of D90 is 2-3 times better than d80 meaning D5000 iso is 2-3 times better than d60.

    Meaning you can shoot at lower light with faster speed and less noise. That matters alot to me and that is well worth the extra 400 bucks.
    yes video quality sucks compared to HD video recorder. try videoing with a 35mm f1.8 with manual focus and manual aperature change...it really feels gd, after some video editing you can cre8 quality video with d5000/d90

    d60 is only 1 year old...but its sensor is 2-3 years old.
    d90/d5000 is less than a few mths old....

    see some pics of d80 at iso1600 and d90 at 1600
    or d60 at iso 1600 and d5000 @ iso1600 you would know which to buy
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    thanks guys....
    at audio hse... d5k is only $100 more exp than d60.....
    so i was thinkin of d5k more initially....

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    get the D5000, it is 2nd generation camera technology
    the guy is trying to clear his old stocks

    always buy new technology

  9. #9
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    get the D5000, it is 2nd generation camera technology
    the guy is trying to clear his old stocks

    always buy new technology
    agreed...

    rem to BBB!

  10. #10

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    eh, pardon my ignorance. but what is BBB?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    its the BBB (BUY BUY BUY) virus

    i think you're gonna be infected soon

    there is no world buying organisation to stop you from buying here

    haha hope to see you with more glass
    Pentax K-x

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    to TS: you can settle for the D60

    as the only difference is that the D5000 as compared has a larger screen of 0.2 inches

    and has movie mode

    if you're in need of the movie mode, then the D5000 should b your choice

    if not, get the D60 or even the D40 if you can find some clearance pieces
    Pentax K-x

  13. #13

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    to TS: you can settle for the D60

    as the only difference is that the D5000 as compared has a larger screen of 0.2 inches

    and has movie mode

    if you're in need of the movie mode, then the D5000 should b your choice

    if not, get the D60 or even the D40 if you can find some clearance pieces


    you have forgotten abt iso sensitivity. the only reason i upgraded from d80 to d90 and why people should get d5000 instead of d60.

    d5000 comes with a whole lot of other functions too.

    noise test
    http://esuastegui.esmartweb.com/D80/...0ns/index.html
    its comparing d80 to d90. but since d60 sensor is same as d80 and s5000 same as d90. you can expect similiar results


    d80 iso1600




    d90 iso 1600
    Last edited by wildsoyabean; 17th May 2009 at 08:35 AM.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Hmmm.... wildsoyabean

    seem to be very particular about noise... Maybe with such advances in DSLR sensors... Noise will soon be an unacceptable feature future pictures. Very soon VR will be so good, people will be penalized for producing shaky-blur pictures!

    Anyways, Noisy pictures are still better than blur ones. Noise can add a level of interest and grainy feel when the picture is in b/w. Noise can give an authentic look to colors. I wonder why noise filters exist in CS4??

    Afraid of noise... use a faster wider lens lor. Use flash lor...Look for a better light source lor. Use Tripod Lor. Use Noise Ninja lor. Wear ear plugs lor... ... My D80 quite good with 17~35 f/2.8.

    I read that a couple of years back, a group of Nat Geo photographers are told to surrender their Leicas and D2s... and exchange it for a D70s. 1 month later. All still comes back with stunning pictures. - Outdoor Photographer Magazine.

    Welcome to the DSLR forum. There is never a perfect camera. Look like TS has a camera in mind. Happy creating pictures.

    Cheers! :-}

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    oops forgot about iso sensitivity

    i do not bother as i usually use up to ISO 400 which is no problem for any camera

    as i still shoot film alot, we dont shoot iso 3200 film and mainly shoot 50,100,200 and 400

    hence it's why i dont exactly bother about whats the iso usable for the cam cos i know i wont need anything above 400
    Pentax K-x

  16. #16

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    its the BBB (BUY BUY BUY) virus

    i think you're gonna be infected soon

    there is no world buying organisation to stop you from buying here

    haha hope to see you with more glass

    Thanks Lomo, yeah this is contageous! Hopefully TS posts what she ends up getting.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by janech18 View Post
    thanks guys....
    at audio hse... d5k is only $100 more exp than d60.....
    so i was thinkin of d5k more initially....
    if u wanna buy at audio house, and D5k is just 100 bucks more than D60, then buy D5k.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  18. #18

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ng View Post
    Hmmm.... wildsoyabean

    seem to be very particular about noise... Maybe with such advances in DSLR sensors... Noise will soon be an unacceptable feature future pictures. Very soon VR will be so good, people will be penalized for producing shaky-blur pictures!

    Anyways, Noisy pictures are still better than blur ones. Noise can add a level of interest and grainy feel when the picture is in b/w. Noise can give an authentic look to colors. I wonder why noise filters exist in CS4??

    Afraid of noise... use a faster wider lens lor. Use flash lor...Look for a better light source lor. Use Tripod Lor. Use Noise Ninja lor. Wear ear plugs lor... ... My D80 quite good with 17~35 f/2.8.

    I read that a couple of years back, a group of Nat Geo photographers are told to surrender their Leicas and D2s... and exchange it for a D70s. 1 month later. All still comes back with stunning pictures. - Outdoor Photographer Magazine.

    Welcome to the DSLR forum. There is never a perfect camera. Look like TS has a camera in mind. Happy creating pictures.

    Cheers! :-}

    its easier to add noise then remove noise.
    for a mere 100 dollars for lower noise results? of course get a better camera
    a VR usually increase the price of the camera by more than $100
    lower fstop are usually not available for beginners.
    that said the little bit of price increase is well worth the money to get a better sensor.
    2-3 years in alot of years in this technological age.
    noisy picture is better than blur picture.
    clear no noise picture is better than noisy clear picture
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    To TS, you are probably now starting to notice that whenever you ask a question like this you will get just as many people telling you to buy 'Option A' as you will telling you to buy 'Option B'.

    My advice would be to listen to why people are telling you to make a certain choice, instead of what that choice actually is. See if the reasons make sense to you and suit your wants and needs.

    Personally, my view is that consumer electronics are a rapidly improving technology, and their price falls quite quickly. Going for the D5000 would give you a current camera rather than an aging one, and you might get more back when you try to sell it later if you decide to upgrade. However I do agree with an earlier statement saying that the video feature is more of a gimmick...let's face it, if you want good video you'd buy a camcorder. Video in DSLRs is a very new and immature technology and has many shortcomings. But as with all major purchases, be sure to do your research before you buy!
    Last edited by MelbourneGuy; 18th May 2009 at 12:26 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 1st dslr - Nikon d60 or d5000?

    i recommend a second hand D200 or D300 if you are more into events shooting. Otherwise save up further for the D90.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •