Thread: Can anybody help with my LAN problem???

Default Can anybody help with my LAN problem???

Hi to all here,

I am a singnet mIo home user, using the modem cum router provided by singnet; white coloured mIo box (2wire modem).

I have a desktop and a laptop both connected to this router. The desktop is connected via ethernet cable while laptop is via wireless. Both runs on Windows Vista with sp1.

The problem is that even though the 2wire home portal shows both my desktop and laptop under HOME NETWORK so by right they are already on LAN? However when i tried running games such as CS1.6 or L4D, i am unable to detect the server be it my desktop or laptop is the server. I am also unable to share files or printer as attempts to set them up are futile.

I have tried connect the desktop using wireless to the modem too, also to no avail. I tried using the Windows Vista wizard to set up network and i got a message saying unable to configure devices and i must do it manually.

Please help me here, what should i do to get both my desktop and laptop on LAN? I didnt encounter this problem when i was using the Linksys router provided by Starhub years ago. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Can anybody help with my LAN problem???

its the firewall. you can throw both system into DMZ and disable firewall for both system to try.

Once you know which is the issue, its easier to resolve there after.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    its the firewall. you can throw both system into DMZ and disable firewall for both system to try.

Once you know which is the issue, its easier to resolve there after.
    thanks. however i have tried that before, i disabled both windows and anti-virus firewall and it still wont work.

regarding router firewall, it's abit tricky. i am unable to turn off firewall protection for either devices and this 'shitty' 2wire white mIo box only allows me to select one com on DMZ-plus mode. there is no option for me to select both com on DMZ mode.

called singnet to asked however tech support wasnt able to help and asked me to call microsoft? guess they are just as clueless as i am... lolx.

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    thanks. however i have tried that before, i disabled both windows and anti-virus firewall and it still wont work.

regarding router firewall, it's abit tricky. i am unable to turn off firewall protection for either devices and this 'shitty' 2wire white mIo box only allows me to select one com on DMZ-plus mode. there is no option for me to select both com on DMZ mode.

called singnet to asked however tech support wasnt able to help and asked me to call microsoft? guess they are just as clueless as i am... lolx.
    btw, did you off the firewall on the mio?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

i am unable to turn off firewall protection for either devices and this 'shitty' 2wire white mIo box only allows me to select one com on DMZ-plus mode. there is no option for me to select both com on DMZ mode.
    There should be an option for you to select the PC or NB from a pull-down menu in "Edit Firewall Settings: Step Number 1" before placing the firewall in DMZplus mode.

What games are you playing? Have you tried port forwarding manually? The guide list for the 2Wire 2701HGV-E (i'm assuming you're using that specific model) is located here.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 16th May 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

the thing with this 2wire modem is that only one com can be set to DMZ-plus mode at a time. and there is no such function for me to off the firewall unlike a linksys router...

besides, where do i key in the port number? there is no page or what to let me key in leh...
    sorry ar, me being a really noob here...

the thing with this 2wire modem is that only one com can be set to DMZ-plus mode at a time. and there is no such function for me to off the firewall unlike a linksys router...

besides, where do i key in the port number? there is no page or what to let me key in leh...
    sorry ar, me being a really noob here...
    I grabbed a couple of screenshots, hopefully it can help you in someway.

Click on the link to "add a new user-defined application".

You might also want to create a new and exact profile to open or forward through the TCP port.
    Set the default values for the settings that I left blank.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 17th May 2009 at 04:43 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

wow! thanks bro! i will go figure out...

I finally figured out why even thou on the home page i am shown that both my coms are on Home Network, i am unable to get my com to play LAN games.

The root of the problem is the DMZ-plus mode on my router. When select DMZ-plus mode the router will issue a new ip add to the selected com. Hence even they are connected to the same router, they are not on the same LAN.

I got rid of it by deselecting DMZ-plus mode and opt for allow individual applications.