Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: type of lenses

  1. #1

    Default type of lenses

    what is the difference between sigma n tamron lens compare with nikon lenses? kinda lost haha thanks hope to get some advice here..

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: type of lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by castarito View Post
    what is the difference between sigma n tamron lens compare with nikon lenses? kinda lost haha thanks hope to get some advice here..
    Erm.. the manufacturer?

  3. #3

    Default Re: type of lenses

    but is it cheaper? or better? or what u guys recommend? but some of the sigma n tamron is so much cheaper than nikon lenses hmmm

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: type of lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by castarito View Post
    but is it cheaper? or better? or what u guys recommend? but some of the sigma n tamron is so much cheaper than nikon lenses hmmm
    Maybe you want to read some good review websites? It's like with lot of other things: 3rd party stuffs can be up to par but can also trail behind in many aspects. 3rd party can serve niches where the big guys don't have coverage. Check the websites from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and compare to the lens lineup of Canon and Nikon. You'll find overlapping and complimenting.
    Reviews:
    DPReview
    Photozone

    Prices: check the equipment sections of Canon, Nikon etc, 3rd party lens price lists are sorted according mount type.

  5. #5

    Default Re: type of lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by castarito View Post
    but is it cheaper? or better? or what u guys recommend? but some of the sigma n tamron is so much cheaper than nikon lenses hmmm
    Some of usual discussions between 3rd party lens and Nikon lenses would be the following

    -- Sigma or Tamron 18-2xx vs Nikon 18-200
    -- Sigma 30 F1.4 DC vs Nikon 35 F2 (or possibly 35 F1.8 DX)
    -- Tamrom 17-50 2.8 Dii vs Nikon 17-55 2.8 DX
    -- Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro vs Nikon 105mm F2.8 macro
    -- Tamron 28-75 F2.8 vs Nikon 28-70 F2.8 or Nikon 24-70 F.28
    -- Tokina 12-24 F4 vs Nikon 12-24 DX

    You checks out past discussions about this topic at various forums across Clubsnap

  6. #6

    Default Re: type of lenses

    aite ill check out thnx!

  7. #7

    Default Re: type of lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by castarito View Post
    but is it cheaper? or better? or what u guys recommend? but some of the sigma n tamron is so much cheaper than nikon lenses hmmm
    it depends

    lenses can cost anywhere from $20 (from ebay, old old nikon lenses even) to $few thousands..

    try the lens, read about it, find out about the flaws (and every brand and lens has flaws, including high price as a flaw)... and then see if you can live with them.

    so many people refuse to use the tamron 70-300 or sigma 70-300 citing poorer IQ wideopen, chromatic aberration, i see nothing wrong with them, i can live with these faults and i can avoid the shortcomings... so... who cares?

  8. #8

    Default Re: type of lenses

    This is a question we face everyday. Geely or Toyota? House-brand or Premium brand? It's the same thing.

    Sigma and Tamron typically produce lenses that are cheaper than their Nikon counterparts. Sometimes, they are inferior in certain aspects. On other times, it may be superior. You gotta weigh the pros and cons and figure it out.

    Read lens reviews, borrow/rent the lenses to try. It's the only way to know.

  9. #9

    Default Re: type of lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    This is a question we face everyday. Geely or Toyota? House-brand or Premium brand? It's the same thing.

    Sigma and Tamron typically produce lenses that are cheaper than their Nikon counterparts. Sometimes, they are inferior in certain aspects. On other times, it may be superior. You gotta weigh the pros and cons and figure it out.

    Read lens reviews, borrow/rent the lenses to try. It's the only way to know.
    aite i got ya.. thnx ill do it.. thnx !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •