Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lens for street photography

Default Re: lens for street photography

Welcome, is always a pleasure to help and remind each other out in this cruel world where every cents matter haha.

Remember to go with ur own choice and have fun shooting!
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

Maybe I can follow up the question but asking another question. How do you take people? I mean so far I do not dare to take people. At least not without their permission. It is like quite rude.

Can I just snap and pretend nothing happen and walk away?

Coming back to the question. I do own both 50mm f1.8 and 18-200mm f3.5-5.6.

50mm f1.8 is sharper usually. 18-200 even with VR, you need to have good photo taking techniques in order to get sharp pictures and under low light, you have to use low shutter speed and only a tripod will do.

50mm you got another problem. You can't zoom and some shots must be taken from a far...

So my suggestion is a 70-200mm f2.8 but if you are not a sniper but like to be up close and personal then 17-50mm f2.8.

50mm f1.8 is sharper usually. 18-200 even with VR, you need to have good photo taking techniques in order to get sharp pictures and under low light, you have to use low shutter speed and only a tripod will do.

50mm you got another problem. You can't zoom and some shots must be taken from a far...

So my suggestion is a 70-200mm f2.8 but if you are not a sniper but like to be up close and personal then 17-50mm f2.8.
    Uh.. look bud its f6.3 at 200mm(i'm assuming you r shooting around that range), even IS wont help yo in low light if your hands shake at shutter speeds the likes of 1/13 etc

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    Maybe I can follow up the question but asking another question. How do you take people? I mean so far I do not dare to take people. At least not without their permission. It is like quite rude.
    no one is asking you to be like bruce gilden

do a search on youtube, loads of street photographers have had videos done on them, everyone has their own approach.

here is an old thread on street photography that is very good

have u considered a tamron 28-75 2.8?
    not bad for streets....fast enuff for me in low light.....price is ok.....
    Canon 1000D (Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 55-250, EF 50 F/1.8)

Tammy 18-270mm or 28-75mm

What is your definition on street photography? Do you really understand what street photography is?

I love wides for streets, and I love tele as well. Usually I just bring along a wide prime 24/35mm and a tele 150mm prime. Many believe that using wider lenses gives u a closer participation to ur subjects, which is not wrong.

I say try out both and see what works for u. U might end up loving one, u might end up liking both.

Ryan

I used to own 28-80 and 70-300mm lense during the film SLR days. I would use 28-80 for 99% of my shots because I was too lazy to change lens. Hence the 70-300 was hardly used.

When I've switch to DSLR recently, I decided to try the 18-200mm lens. To my surprise, I end up using between 40mm to 150mm (equivalent to 64-240mm in 35mm film) most of the time and I think I have much more photo opportunities compared to my previous 2 lenses solution.

If you're not adverse to changing lenses, especially outdoor, 2 lenses solution would be cheaper. But if you're new to photography and don't know what is your preferred range, 18-200 is a very good way to find your range. The 18-200 also has pretty good resale value if you decided to change lenses in the future.

My fav on a crop body would ideally be a 24mm or 28 f1.8 sigma.If I really need a nikkor, I would buy the AFS 35mm f1.8

I love tele lenses for street candids, my fav would be the 70-200 2.8, gives gr8 bokeh as well ..
    it's huge, attracts a little more attention, but it wasn't a big problem..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12