Thread: Is this scanner quality acceptable? crops inside...

Default Is this scanner quality acceptable? crops inside...

Hie there,

I currently use the Canoscan 5000f for scanning slides. However, I'm not sure if the quality of the scans are good enough for enlargements without loss of detail. I have attached below the actual image (scanned at 3071x2040 (approx 6mp) resized to 300 by 100) and the 100% crop from the original size. Images taken with Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on Velvia 100f. Please comment on the quality of scan.

Original Image

100% crop(ard the centre) from 6mp scan

All images have not undergone USM.

I would like to know ...

1) How does this compare to the current crop of DSLRs

2) How does this compare to dedicated film scanners, esp the sub $1K range.

I would appreciate anyone posting 100% crops from dedicated film scanner to compare. 100% crops can already, no need full images!

3) If I could blow up to A4 size or A3 size with the sharpness of a lab enlargement.

Those interested in this scanner can take this as a preview b4 buying.

Thanks Guys

Hi Marc,

Q.1 and 2

No fight at all. Flatbed scanners does not have the dynamic range to beat film scanners, not to mention DSLRs. In addition, it's not fair to compare to DSLRs, since you're working with the film which is a 2nd generation of the scene, compared to the DSLR which is "scanning" the actual scene.

Film scanners have higher resolving powers, superior light sources and wider dynamic range to capture the image from film, and so will beat a consumer range flatbed film scanner any day. Yes, even the sub-1k film scanners will do a very good job.

I do not have a photo hosting service, so I can't post any photos. But if you PM me with your e-mail, I'd be glad to send you a cropped image of a image scanned by my dedicated film scanner.

Q. 3

It really depends on your demand on quality. I guess you can push the limit with an A4 print, but the quality of the image in A3 would be suspect. Personally, I send my film for drum scanning when it comes to A3 size prints. But I've scanned my film with my friend's 4000 dpi film scanner and printed A3 prints without much problem. So it's possible to do A3 with a good film scanner.

West Coast of sunny Singapore

can email me too? i'm checking up for my friend. thanx.

Thanks Neo... . =) . You're a model clubsnapper.. .

Red face

I own it too & i strictly say "NO NO" for serious work.

1st: The sharpness is way off. It is really meant for docu scanning.

2nd: The colour is way off too, esp if u r scanning negs. U'll end up trying very hard to do colour correction in an imaging s/w, yet still won't look good.

3rd: The FARE from canon is quite a flop. if u scan too high a rez, u can't unmask or enable scratch remove. have u tried that?

of cos' for a little fun is alright. i use it to post some fun works on the net, have a look: & snapbox. recently juz added

hope u can have some fun too!! BTW do u have USB compatibility prob with it? i m using an AMD sys w/ AMD chipset & its giving me prob.

Last edited by nightpiper; 16th November 2003 at 12:56 AM.

Hi Marc,

I've the files ready. Pls PM (private message) me your e-mail address.

Obviousdude: I've mailed you the images (entire and cropped).

You guys can post up the images in this thread for the rest to see. You can see that the crop of the scanned image retains the fine details of the painted wall and the pattern of the fabric of the robe. It's a older film 2700dpi scanner, so today's 4000dpi film scanner are even better.

P.S: I've highlighted the cropped section in the main photo.

Hope this helps.