Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

  1. #1

    Default Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Read here.

    I felt so emotional after reading it.
    What a situation, not being able to taste the fruits of your hard-earned money and he probably died partly because of that.

    Makes you wonder, that when you grow old, should you become senile, suffer from dementia and other things and got lost without remembering how to find your way back.. No form of identity on you, not knowing who you are or your loved ones..

    Will your kids look for you or are they too wrapped up in their lives?
    Will society extend a helping hand for your safety and health no matter what you say?
    Will help be in time before it's too late?

    What will be the meaning of life then when it ends in such a way?
    Should you suddenly remember who you were in your last moments and feel such longing and regret, what then?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    My adoptive dad suffers from Alzheimer's Disease and cancer and it's difficult just keeping him with us as he continually wants to go home in the afternoon. It's something they call "sundowning" and most patients suffer it. He doesn't know our names but he does answer to his name, when he feels like it. He is sometimes belligerent and often defiant, as you would expect from a 5 year old child but he's 79 years old.

    That Korean man could have thought that he was that other person whose name he used. My dad often has voices telling him to do things. I'm surprised that he didn't bury the money or something like that.

    All I really know is that once my dignity is gone, I don't want to exist because existing is not the same as living. There are so many people in the world who feel that euthanasia is wrong, but why would they want to live like that themselves?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    ... because existing is not the same as living.
    I agree with this.

    Tho I wouldn't promote euthanasia as some might take the short-cut way out. I think it should be a last option.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    My adoptive dad suffers from Alzheimer's Disease and cancer and it's difficult just keeping him with us as he continually wants to go home in the afternoon. It's something they call "sundowning" and most patients suffer it. He doesn't know our names but he does answer to his name, when he feels like it. He is sometimes belligerent and often defiant, as you would expect from a 5 year old child but he's 79 years old.

    That Korean man could have thought that he was that other person whose name he used. My dad often has voices telling him to do things. I'm surprised that he didn't bury the money or something like that.

    All I really know is that once my dignity is gone, I don't want to exist because existing is not the same as living. There are so many people in the world who feel that euthanasia is wrong, but why would they want to live like that themselves?
    Without suffering from Dementia, there are already so many people in society who think (pretend is a better description) they are someone else (usually a richer person)

    Not many people can reject the 'pressure' they think they feel, to have to put up that mask everyday, usually because they succumb to their ego.......

    I have the feeling that some people who suffer from dementia ( I had a strong case with my aunt) as long as they are not aware of it, they are perfectly fine. The moment they go in and out that condition, they become frustrated.....and the people surroundings usually also get frustrated, it is not an easy condition to deal with

    But if I will ever come into that condition, I really hope I won't be aware of it.....cause no worries (but I will keep a name tag around my wrist, so that I still have access to my bank account!!!

    HS

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I agree with this.

    Tho I wouldn't promote euthanasia as some might take the short-cut way out. I think it should be a last option.
    Well, it should require an assessment from multiple doctors, rather than just a son or daughter saying "yes, dad's mind is gone." but in my dad's case, if he's aware of reality once a month for a few minutes, it's a big deal and you can see the frustration on his face.

    He doesn't eat properly. Most of the time, he can't tell us when he needs to go to the toilet and even when he gets there, he can't always remember why he went. He can't write and he can't read. What's worse is that he's only 79 years old so he could have another 20 years to live like that.

    Is that really okay?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Well, it should require an assessment from multiple doctors, rather than just a son or daughter saying "yes, dad's mind is gone." but in my dad's case, if he's aware of reality once a month for a few minutes, it's a big deal and you can see the frustration on his face.

    He doesn't eat properly. Most of the time, he can't tell us when he needs to go to the toilet and even when he gets there, he can't always remember why he went. He can't write and he can't read. What's worse is that he's only 79 years old so he could have another 20 years to live like that.

    Is that really okay?
    Sorry to hear about your dad, such things tends to get very complicated when you are involved.

    Not saying about guidelines or whatever... cuz every case is unique and have it's own associated push and pull factors.

    What I meant was that as society advances. Is it possible for the individual to "define" what he/she constitutes as "existing is not the same as living" and thus allowing an option to pass on. It is currently very grey, but hopefully it gets refined and option is given to all individuals.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Homeless Korean dies with 100,000 dollars in bank

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dad, such things tends to get very complicated when you are involved.

    Not saying about guidelines or whatever... cuz every case is unique and have it's own associated push and pull factors.

    What I meant was that as society advances. Is it possible for the individual to "define" what he/she constitutes as "existing is not the same as living" and thus allowing an option to pass on. It is currently very grey, but hopefully it gets refined and option is given to all individuals.
    Yes, thanks.

    It used to be that certain nomadic peoples would abandon their feeble elderly or even strand them on a large piece of ice. I assume they did this because they could not come to terms with taking a life unnecessarily.

    I hope that societies come to terms with these situations because there are far too many times when people are suffering needlessly. The trouble is that too many people take advantage of similar situations.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •