Thread: What is your favourite photography quote?

Default What is your favourite photography quote?

Hi,

Wonder what are some of your favourite photography quotes?

I like this one (though its pretty long ):

You know you are seeing such a photograph if you say to yourself, "I could have taken that picture. I've seen such a scene before, but never like that." It is the kind of photography that relies for its strengths not on special equipment or effects but on the intensity of the photographer's seeing. It is the kind of photography in which the raw materials--light, space, and shape--are arranged in a meaningful and even universal way that gives grace to ordinary objects. -Sam Abell, "Seeing and Shooting Straight" by Sam Abell

"The camera doesn't take the photo, the photographer takes the photo!"

Now guess who said that?

"Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall."

- Sorry, can't remember where it came from.

"Dang it, I forgot to load the film."

"Say CHEESE!"
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Default Hmmm.........

Ok this is something I just thought of afew minutes ago...........

It used to be like this : 'Camera, negative and print' by Ansel Adams

Now it's 'Digital, memory card and digital print' by Nikon, Canon, Leaf, Pentax, Sony, Compact Flash, Secure Digital and the authors list goes on............

Haiz........sad but it's turning into a digital front.

"Most lenses are better than most photographers" - anon.

"I need a better lens."

"They think you made the picture because you used a certain kind of film, and that's not the truth. You made the picture from what was inside of you." - Joyce Tenneson.

"All the best photography comes from that depth of perception and emotion that's within you. If you don't get into it emotionally, your photography will show it. They might as well be taken by a random camera." - Galen Rowell.

"Now I am more interested in the photograph not competing with the person, just letting the person come forward." - Annie Leibovitz.

"Learning to trust your instincts and to experiment with new techniques and unusual perspectves is what creating a personal style of photography is all about. And when it all comes together - when the shutter clicks and you know it's right - that is the joy of photography." - not sure who.

Some more quotes from elsewhere in the cyberworld:

"Of course it's all luck" - Henri Cartier-Bresson;

"Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed" - Garry Winogrand;

"Photography is not a bad past-time for people who can't paint" - Sydney cabbie;

"Green mode [auto] is for when you hand your camera to somebody to take a picture of you" - DavidP;

"Bad rich amateurs [photographers] think fuzzy B&W images of poor people are art" - Ken Rockwell;

"No, I've just hired it for the weekend - I've got no idea what I'm doing" - R Farland.

By far, the most popular in the forums:
    "That's a GREAT picture. What lens/camera/settings did you use?"

Regards
    CK

Deregistered

My quote,

"My setup? A webcam + torchlight"

Default I read this....

I came across this just sometime back at the National Art Museum in Perth. It was in a book that I browsed. Sadly, I dont remember the exact quote, but it makes alot of sense.

A photograph, like a painting, has its aesthetic values. But a good photograph is in its realism. We should leave aesthetics to the painter, and dwell in our own form of art.

This is roughly what it meant, but my mind is faulty and will not remember anything more. But i shall go back and find that page in that book, because it just makes so much sense. Photography should be more than just capturing beauty, but rather something more intrinsically stirring.
    Last edited by marcwang; 16th November 2003 at 04:39 PM.