Thread: Are you lonely?

Default Are you lonely?

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this webboard, any mistake plz feelfree to let me know

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I will like feedback on the composition and photography technique.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show the feeling of the sunset.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I take this photo around 6.30pm at West Coast Park with Canon350D, 70-300 lens, shutter speed 1/4000, f/5.6, ISO800, White Balance: Sunny

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I love this photo the most from all the photos I have ever taken on this day.
    I rarely take a photo under sunset condition, so I don't know much about how to adjust the proper white balance. I try to change white balance mode, some are good and some are also bad.

P.S. I adjust a bit contrast (from 1 to 1.3) and saturation (from 1 to 1.09)

Lonely

Default Re: Are you lonely?

Base on title of picture.." are you lonely ?"

under what condition this phrase is used ? talking/speaking to some living or dead subject ?

you'd successfully capture the mood of the setting sun with the reflection of the water.

shutter speed of 1/4000 sec @ f/5.6 and ISO800 ? I feels that is a kind of mismatch...much prefers to use f/16 @ 1/250 sec with an ISO 100 instead.

composition is a bit tight...maybe you have use the full range of focal length, hence the blur.
    sometimes compositon has to rely on or link to the idea that you intend to express...in this instance..loneliness.
    like a single floating boat in a large ocean, one small subject with a large empty space to contrast with. BUT THEN..
    in another composition of LONELINESS...I might shoot a single person ( male/female disregard ) standing or sitting alone, but with a lot of loving couples surrounding.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 18th May 2009 at 03:13 PM.

You may want to show more "sea" than having the boat take up so much space. The water's distracting, i suggest using a smaller ISO to reduce noise. (maybe it's just cuz the sun light was too bright or something XD)

should zoom more and put the object in the middle a little bit i think...

cheers...

perhaps you can use the boat as a foreground instead of having just the boat there.
    The reflection of the sun light is alittle distracting too. Perhaps can try zooming in tighter too.

nice shot but the title just doesn't do it for me... to me this speaks more of solitude than loneliness