Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment Lust

Default Re: Equipment Lust

Quote Originally Posted by T.A. View Post
    My gf also did say to me "I would understand if that's your job but it's only a hobby ... , my ring must cost more than your lens".
    That's why I make sure it does...

My gf also did say to me "I would understand if that's your job but it's only a hobby ... , my ring must cost more than your lens".
    this is jia lart....

This happens not just to photography la. It is a human problem. Somehow we are not contented. we want better housing, better PC/Mac, better software, better cars, better fishing gears, better everything! It is a bottomless pit.....

Get into another obsession to kill the current obsession. Works very well

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
    That's why I'm never amazed with all those signatures blabbering what lens and equipment they have.
    it's pure Blah, Blah, Blah for me.

On the other note, proud to those who publish their works of art by posting their picture collection links.
    Now those are looking through photography as an art and not by how much equipment they have.
    Well kinda agree with you, but it is only human nature to show off what one has. As the phrasing goes, "If you've got it, flaunt it!"

Lets just face it: CS is a somewhat equipment-centric forum after all. There are lots of other photography forums out there, some with an emphasis on gear discussions, others emphasise more on showing off their artistic skills and techniques thru posting their works or links to their galleries.

As such, we have to accept the fact that as long as the admin allows sig space, ppl will always be filling their sigs with fancy gear like 1DsIIIs and D3xs and Ls and what not, whether real or imagined, nobody really knows.

easy, you have a 50mm f1.8 lens rite?

seriously though, don't you think these kinds of demands are rather unrealistic? as if the relationship will be affected by the amount of money you spend on the ring. i'm sure you are not buying it from a wet market or something

which is more important, love or money?

sorry for the OT a bit

That's why I'm never amazed with all those signatures blabbering what lens and equipment they have.
    it's pure Blah, Blah, Blah for me.

On the other note, proud to those who publish their works of art by posting their picture collection links.
    Now those are looking through photography as an art and not by how much equipment they have.
    Yo, u better take back your words if U see a good picture with a note below. Haha
    Equipment: Sony Ericsson K750i
    Nikon D90
    AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G, AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G, SB600, 190CX3+486RC2

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    easy, you have a 50mm f1.8 lens rite?

seriously though, don't you think these kinds of demands are rather unrealistic? as if the relationship will be affected by the amount of money you spend on the ring. i'm sure you are not buying it from a wet market or something

which is more important, love or money?

sorry for the OT a bit
    Better, a 28-100mm kit lens!

I think she not 100% serious on it ba? We've never really thought about rings but planning to
    get married within 2 years so it's one thing we have to consider. She's more of the thrifty sort,
    never asked me for anything expensive so it's kind of a double-edged sword thing.
    She doesn't like that I spend on anything 'expensive' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saycheese78 View Post
    Yo, u better take back your words if U see a good picture with a note below. Haha
    Equipment: Sony Ericsson K750i

Dude, never taking back what I said for it already happened. Not by a Sony Ericsson but by a Nokia phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40851237@N00/

What I would do whenever i feel the urge to buy something new or feels my camera needs an upgrade, I always read this site - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
    Loslos...

Dude, never taking back what I said for it already happened. Not by a Sony Ericsson but by a Nokia phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40851237@N00/

What I would do whenever i feel the urge to buy something new or feels my camera needs an upgrade, I always read this site - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
    There's also another article by him that says lens sharpness doesn't matter. Wah, if going by his many articles, I think shoot with most basic setup can liao

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    There's also another article by him that says lens sharpness doesn't matter. Wah, if going by his many articles, I think shoot with most basic setup can liao

don't believe Ken Rockwell fully. some are realistic, some are not. But it's worth reading once in a while to wake us up.
    Loslos...

I always ensure none of my single lens cost more then my wife's ring, but it doesn't stop me from getting many lens that cost less then her single ring.

I am single. That helps. A lot. Accumulate now. Then when get attached - guilt free! hahaha

But that is a good article, because often I find people hung up more on the potential of the camera
    "oh my god it can take a million frames per second, its bokeh is so good, any subject also boleh, etc...."
    rather than the process and pleasure of finding, making and enjoying photographs.

If people have time i highly recommend 3 books that are somewhat academic but are nonetheless powerful reflections on
    the deeper nature of photography; beyond large apertures and saturated settings and sharp, sharp sharp...

Susan Sontag - On Photography
    Roland Barthes - Camera Lucida
    John Berger - Ways of Seeing

"I dismiss all knowledge, all culture, I refuse to inherit anything from another eye than my own" - Roland Barthes, Camera Lucida

That is something I think we can all learn to lust after a little more, the art of composition, a deeper way of seeing.
    pictures are poems that write light into shadow

Dear T.A., Thank you for writing to Aunt Agony, CS edition. I understand your predicament. Your problem is easily solved. Hey common', she's hinting you to make the marriage proposal! Buy a good ring which you'll never regret...I'm sure you can imagine all the nagging after a few decades of marriage. Then after you get married and I hope it'll be very soon, make sure you have kids, and any number will do. Your kid(s) will be very, very, very cute, and she'll definitely "approve" of you buying all the most expensive cameras and lens to shoot your kid(s)!

Note: This column is not sponsored by MCYS or the Government's Procreation Facilitation Division.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    Dear T.A., Thank you for writing to Aunt Agony, CS edition. I understand your predicament. Your problem is easily solved. Hey common', she's hinting you to make the marriage proposal! Buy a good ring which you'll never regret...I'm sure you can imagine all the nagging after a few decades of marriage. Then after you get married and I hope it'll be very soon, make sure you have kids, and any number will do. Your kid(s) will be very, very, very cute, and she'll definitely "approve" of you buying all the most expensive cameras and lens to shoot your kid(s)!

Note: This column is not sponsored by MCYS or the Government's Procreation Facilitation Division.
    I like the way you put it.
    I actually didn't expect anyone to take it seriously, she just help me to keep my
    gadget/lens lust in check. If I'd really want to get something I'd still do it anyway.

Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 13th May 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Better, a 28-100mm kit lens!

I think she not 100% serious on it ba? We've never really thought about rings but planning to
    get married within 2 years so it's one thing we have to consider. She's more of the thrifty sort,
    never asked me for anything expensive so it's kind of a double-edged sword thing.
    She doesn't like that I spend on anything 'expensive' as well.
    haha, no prob bro

don't take my comments too seriously oso, just my humble opinion

have a look at 9v-orion's pic post above, good way to distinguish between a worth-it girl and a gold-digger-get-lost girl

I like the way you put it.
    I actually didn't expect anyone to take it seriously, she just help me to keep my
    gadget/lens lust in check. If I'd really want to get something I'd still do it anyway.
    ... Girls - can't live with them, can't live without them. Cheers!
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by marcdn View Post
    I am single. That helps. A lot. Accumulate now. Then when get attached - guilt free! hahaha

But that is a good article, because often I find people hung up more on the potential of the camera
    "oh my god it can take a million frames per second, its bokeh is so good, any subject also boleh, etc...."
    rather than the process and pleasure of finding, making and enjoying photographs.

If people have time i highly recommend 3 books that are somewhat academic but are nonetheless powerful reflections on
    the deeper nature of photography; beyond large apertures and saturated settings and sharp, sharp sharp...

Susan Sontag - On Photography
    Roland Barthes - Camera Lucida
    John Berger - Ways of Seeing

"I dismiss all knowledge, all culture, I refuse to inherit anything from another eye than my own" - Roland Barthes, Camera Lucida

That is something I think we can all learn to lust after a little more, the art of composition, a deeper way of seeing.
    Yea, those works are pretty insightful! Currently reading the abridged versions in the book 'Basic Critical Theory for Photographers'. Great content (though a little outdated with respect to contemporary photography ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12