Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Pro Always Hang, Prompt Me to Restart

Default Re: MacBook Pro Always Hang, Prompt Me to Restart

Quote Originally Posted by skyfokker View Post
    It is definitely not a power supply problem cause if it were you unit wouldn't hang - it just goes dead.

As for ram, unlikely as all macs start up with a ram test. However a corroded piece can hang the system.

Format the whole system with the DVD booted up.

Don't believe what they tell you about mac's short life span.
    Now even the DVD reformat process got hang...

The seller told me he willing to take back after I got a visit at Apple store tomorrow. He also told me an upgrade to OS leopard will solve my problem. Anyone reckon the same as him?

I decided to head to the nearest Apple store in Bugis during lunch time tomorrow.

Thanks for all the concern...

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    I'm using 2x2GB Kingston without a problem... So don't dismiss 3rd party RAM rightaway. The cost savings are very significant from the so called "proprietary" ram from Apple. But perhaps it's because mine is an older MBP, the series that can "Supports up to 4GB but only able to address 3GB" LOL.
    Mine's just Intel Core Duo... Can only support up to 2 GB... May have problem doing teathered shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by tSkye View Post
    I beg to differ. Using a PowerBook G4 for 6 years with no problems, not even once sent to Apple Centre.
    I suspect the older (G4 and older) were way more reliable machines than the newer lot...I had BIG problem with my iMac G5 LCD screen which now have hundreds of vertical lines, it started appearing just after warranty is over. Never had this problem with PC's. And I have been using Macs for more than 14 years now.....

I think when the prices went down for Mac's thats were the quality went down as well. Well, people say you need to buy the extra warranty, but who would expect two machines to fail just 1-3 months after warranty is over?

The LCD problem for this particular batch of iMac G5 is well known, and the reason too but Apple refuses to do a free repair for only this batch, they are not like Canon with their 1D mk III Af problems, nothing but praise for Canon!!!! :-) I wish they make computers!

HS

I suggest you to just return it to the shop you bought it from, whatever Apple says about it, you bought a used machine, but it should work.......so whatever the salesman says, don't always believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I suggest you to just return it to the shop you bought it from, whatever Apple says about it, you bought a used machine, but it should work.......so whatever the salesman says, don't always believe them.
    Actually the man who sold it to me contact me regarding my MBP... He offer to take back or refer to his friend who suggest to me of installing Leopard OS.

I am just disappointed for buying a bad used set...

Quote Originally Posted by danmic View Post
    It may not be RAM. I am using 3rd Party 4GB with no prob at all.

>>>Hanqiang, chk (1) your MBP firmware. MBP pre Update 1.0 has heating prob and cause it to hang after running for awhile, and (2) Install SMCfanControl. It helps with the temp.

dan
    Where can I buy this SMCfanControl?

Thks

hongsien,

I think the most important thing of all Apple computers is the Apple Care Extended Warranty.

Never leave the shop without it. Never purchase a used set without it either.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

google SMC fan control
    it is a free ware application and i use it and it helps

It seems ok after I have change back to the original 2x 1gb RAM... also just reformat successfully...

Now install SMC fan control and let apple store take a look.

Anyway, can I buy apple care since it is an used set?

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    How much is that repair?

The graphics card repair should be free of charge regardless of warranty.

Blog Entries

It seems ok after I have change back to the original 2x 1gb RAM... also just reformat successfully...

Now install SMC fan control and let apple store take a look.

Anyway, can I buy apple care since it is an used set?
    so it is a ram problem, buy your 3rd party ram from mac resellers, they will know which ram can work with your mac.

i also recommend SGL

I have the same problem with my macbook pro. 2x2GB and it freezes quite often. remove one piece, 1+2=3GB inside, and it's okay. as mentioned, buy from SGL if you want it to work compatibly

Now it runs just fine...

Thanks for all the valuable comments...

Is that a way to change the intel core, as in upgrade to a better core?

Have to get a new computer then.

as far as i recall, the cpu cannot be changed unless you replace the motherboard.
    even then, the motherboard may not be able to fit, as it's designed for the new unibody.

Ok thanks...

Now it runs just fine...
    just to be sure, you should run Apple Hardware Test... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Now even the DVD reformat process got hang...

The seller told me he willing to take back after I got a visit at Apple store tomorrow. He also told me an upgrade to OS leopard will solve my problem. Anyone reckon the same as him?

I decided to head to the nearest Apple store in Bugis during lunch time tomorrow.

Thanks for all the concern...
    You should re-install all the softwares from scratch. The last user may have added something or upgraded wrongly.

It may be a motherboard problem. If it is, dump the deal or ask for better one.

Ram is the easiest and cheapest option to repair. Hard disk is also not too expensive to swop. But motherboard (which includes the soldered on video card) will mean scrap to you.

If you buy second hand and this is the first signal, i strongly suggest you ask for exchange or refund. The repair will be costly for mbp so dont even bother sending for a repair quote. The seller is taking you for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I suspect the older (G4 and older) were way more reliable machines than the newer lot...I had BIG problem with my iMac G5 LCD screen which now have hundreds of vertical lines, it started appearing just after warranty is over. Never had this problem with PC's. And I have been using Macs for more than 14 years now.....

I think when the prices went down for Mac's thats were the quality went down as well. Well, people say you need to buy the extra warranty, but who would expect two machines to fail just 1-3 months after warranty is over?

The LCD problem for this particular batch of iMac G5 is well known, and the reason too but Apple refuses to do a free repair for only this batch, they are not like Canon with their 1D mk III Af problems, nothing but praise for Canon!!!! :-) I wish they make computers!

HS
    If i may comment, i think your unlucky episode with iMac G5 has to do with batch problems. When a buyer shops for parts, tenders are issued wrt the specified specs. Sometimes, a certain part may be lemon and that can mean many unhappy customers. While it is not the fault of the buyer (in Apple) - and assuming there is no bribing done - its all about luck and probability.

Have you seen the video i recently posted about recycling old (pentium) computers chips (from China) and the faulty parts ended up in F5 fighter jets computer boards? It's unthinkable what goes on behind the curtains while the showbiz glamorizes some newfound technologies.

The RAM before I change seems fine... The problem comes after I change the RAM to 2 GB at SLS. I change the RAM back to 2 x 1GB and see how...

Thanks...
    Mine's just Intel Core Duo... Can only support up to 2 GB... May have problem doing teathered shooting?
    sorry...i'm confused. if the mbp you have can only support up to 2gb, why did you change from the original 2 x 1gb?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    sorry...i'm confused. if the mbp you have can only support up to 2gb, why did you change from the original 2 x 1gb?
    faster speed? LOL

Ram compatibility test is usually harmless. It either works or it wont.

1+1 = 2
    2 = 1+1

But 1+1 not = 2z
    where z has a special "zheng" specification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast