Thread: NAS....

Default NAS....

Guys.. just wondering if anyone here is using NAS to store their photos and what brand of NAS do you guys use?

Default Re: NAS....

I am using a Dlink DNS 323 as my primary NAS. It supports raid 1 (hard disk mirroring). I download all my photos onto the drive. About once a month, I do a backup of all the important folders from this NAS to another single drive NAS so I that I have a duplicate. Call me paranoid but I have too many hard disks fail on me before and I don't think I want to have all my eggs in one basket.

Dlink DNS323 is a good NAS. Cheap and good. Am using it too. There is a 4 bay version if you need more disk space.

Yup DLink DNS-323 is the one to go for. Load up with 2 units 1.5Tb and you're set. Config is easy and quick. The only minor issue I see is the slightly noisy fan when the unit is working hard.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

was using Dlink and migrate to Drobo and then looking at the Drobopro... just that I don't like it own file format. Still prefer the ext2/3 in the dlink filesystem.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    was using Dlink and migrate to Drobo and then looking at the Drobopro... just that I don't like it own file format. Still prefer the ext2/3 in the dlink filesystem.
    You got from Cathay Photo?

How come they are using their own file format? Not a simple copy?
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

Quote Originally Posted by urban View Post
    You got from Cathay Photo?

How come they are using their own file format? Not a simple copy?
    I get it from B&H.....

Damn... and I thought NAS meant Nikon Acquisition Syndrome... hahaha!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

I'm using my old PC which i convert it into windows home server, almost like NAS with a little more features. it backs up my laptops as well as stores my pictures in a RAID 1 like structure over 4 HDD. once in a while i play the pictures on the TV via a PS3 over wifi.

I'm also using the DNS-323. One of it's main advantage is the ease in installation and setup. Connect to Router directly. Very easily, it becomes a network drive in your Explorer.
    On the Macbook, it's also easily detectable.

Might want to consider Qnap or Synology.

Better features but more ex.
    click click!

For those using the DNS-323, are you running modded versions of them and was it worth the time to setup? Are the fans fairly quiet when idle and under load? Thanks!

I'm using Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x seagate 500GB.. Running X-RAID. Serves me very well and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    For those using the DNS-323, are you running modded versions of them and was it worth the time to setup? Are the fans fairly quiet when idle and under load? Thanks!
    Yup am running the modded version. BT is good with it. Can run your own photo gallery with it. FTP, online file server and etc. I didn't really notice the fan noise but I guess there is some noise level bah.

Using DLink 323 too. Haven really explored the remote access feature thou
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Using Synology 106e...on dedicated gigabits interface but still find it too slow....realised I am relying more on my USB portable harddrive instead

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    I am running the mod version.... so far I didnt hear any fan noise.
    mine are always under heavy load and btw not BT(just to be sure) as I run rsync to copy disk img from 1 drive to another.

The only thing I dislike is the unclean shutdown.....

Looks like a pretty good NAS device. Thanks for the additional information.

Using a Buffalo TeraStation Live HS-DHTGL/R5 with my recently upgraded 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green drives to store. Works very well using previous OEM Samsung 250GB drives for 3 years continuous (hence I figured it's about time to retire those drives). I always set the system run on RAID 10, safe and fast at the expense of half that storage capacity. With the new drives, the NAS operates almost silently and with less heat due to the drives' low power consumption (each drive save me about $10 per annum in terms of electricity cost, there are 4, so total $40/yr)
    Last edited by kkcharles82; 26th July 2009 at 11:13 AM.