Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Is this adviseable? So the monopod has dual purpose, for photography and also assist as walking stick.

    Would this spoil the monopod? Thinking if I should get a cheap monopod for this, or an expensive monopod (if this will not spoil it) or a proper trekking pole.

    Anything I should look out for or avoid for the monopod?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Entirely possible, but a good, sturdy alum monopod would be too heavy to be a good walking stick for long hauls (CF is a bit too risky to use as a walking stick), and you'll need to change out the foot to something more suitable. IIRC, most monopods the foot is fixed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    I would suggest reversing the idea.

    A monopod of any make and cost is only at best designed to take the weight of a heavy camera, not a person.

    Whereas a walking stick is designed to take a heavier weight than a camera; a person.

    Why not see if you can get an attachment made to fit on a walking stick that will take a camera
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    get a gitzo monotrek, solve all your problem.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    it is a very "expensive" trekking stick ...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Get a 2 meter tripod with additional central pole..
    u can use it to support a tent..

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I would suggest reversing the idea.

    A monopod of any make and cost is only at best designed to take the weight of a heavy camera, not a person.

    Whereas a walking stick is designed to take a heavier weight than a camera; a person.

    Why not see if you can get an attachment made to fit on a walking stick that will take a camera

    I attach a Manfrotto RC Ballhead on a Dragonhead walking stick:

    Last edited by Sion; 11th May 2009 at 11:37 AM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    I ever saw a proper walking stick for treking which head can be un-screwed and reveal a standard screw which can fit into camera as if it is a monopod. The problem is that I dont think it is designed for heavy DSLR + lense. May be smaller dslr can use it but definitely not the bazooka lense.

    I have tried Mount Huangshan and Huanglong with monopod, it does not really work, but I am stubborn and stupid. LOL.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I attach a Manfrotto RC Ballhead on a Dragonhead walking stick:

    What an ingenious idea!
    Why didn't I think of that?!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I ever saw a proper walking stick for treking which head can be un-screwed and reveal a standard screw which can fit into camera as if it is a monopod. The problem is that I dont think it is designed for heavy DSLR + lense. May be smaller dslr can use it but definitely not the bazooka lense.
    This sounds great. Remember what brand/model is it and where can I find it?
    I don't need something designed for heavy dslr + lens. I don't intend to ever bring a heavy setup for trekking, unless there is an unusual need and I have a porter.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    What an ingenious idea!
    This sounds great. Remember what brand/model is it and where can I find it?
    I don't need something designed for heavy dslr + lens. I don't intend to ever bring a heavy setup for trekking, unless there is an unusual need and I have a porter.
    I see it when I was looking for hand warmer. I ever saw in a camping/trekking shop at china square, either level2 or 3 cannot tell due to that slanted spiral walkway. Just ask the owner about "walking stick with you can unscrew the head and put camera". But that is not cheap cos it is branded, and no ballhead so you have to mount your own ballhead.

    By the way I visited the shop loooong time back like in some 5 yrs ago.
    Last edited by aryanto; 12th May 2009 at 09:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I see it when I was looking for hand warmer. I ever saw in a camping/trekking shop at china square, either level2 or 3 cannot tell due to that slanted spiral walkway. Just ask the owner about "walking stick with you can unscrew the head and put camera". But that is not cheap cos it is branded, and no ballhead so you have to mount your own ballhead.

    By the way I visited the shop loooong time back like in some 5 yrs ago.
    Hmm... 5 years... prolly not there already.
    Just last Sun, I 'went' to a camping shop near city hall and the shop was gone.
    These camping shops move around very quickly.
    Maybe I can ask around at other camping shops if they have anything like that.
    Thanks anyway.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    ... Maybe I can ask around..

    look for either Komperdell Guide or Leki Sierra..
    google for "adventure 21" or "campers' corner" if you want to locate the shops selling those walking sticks


  13. #13
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Using monopod as walking stick for trekking

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    get a gitzo monotrek, solve all your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    it is a very "expensive" trekking stick ...
    But yr equipments are likely to be more expensive then yr walking stick.

    A monopod is designed to hold yr camera/lens but a walking stick does not. So is not fair to compare and monotrek is designed for this purpose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •