Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4294449525354555659 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1231

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilng
    How about building your own with this US$110 DIY 35W HID kit being built by a local torchlight enthusiast?
    Wah...really no time to build my own lar. Bo bian have to spend.

Sore-eyez, yup LEDs really depend on the batts and stuff. Like i said i got the !@#$ expensive $49 21-LED from Eastgear and it is noticeably 2X brighter than those 21 LED one i got from SLS. It's $18 vs $49, so take your pick. And i definitely like the color temp from the EG one, the MIC is way too bluish.

Quote Originally Posted by CatEYE
    "21-LED" is more of a flood light & meant for short range, it's bright if u look @ it directly or if there are light-color walls around for the light to rebound back to your eyes. If u use these multi-5mm-LED outdoor darkness, it won't illuminate far (unless u have "optic" for these little 5mm LED). U can get those 100x 5mm-LEDs, I doubt it'll helps if u really want range...

Maybe u have to consider some of the following factors before u narrow down to what type of "bright" light will fit your purpose :
    - battery type
    - run-time requirement
    - illumination requirement (range, coverage)
    - your budget
    etc...
    Cateye,
    Actually if there is a need, i will get 2 lights. 1 LED and 1 HID. LED will be more for flood and HID will be more for throw. I am pretty happy with the Eastgear 21-LED flood but i'd like more absolute lumens. That's how this 100-LED thought came about. So we are talking about the "aperture" to be about 5X bigger, no problem that's not too big. Batteries not a problem, AA, C or D size ok but definitely no CR123A. Thing is, i know what you are going to say, there is no such product unless you DIY.
    Even with 50 LED i will be pretty happy. Usage will definitely be limited to within 10-20 metres.

Cateye Bro, are you a seller/dealer? If so you can recommend me some products lar.

Budget, lets not put a budget on it lor. As long as it's good value, ie price : performance ratio. I'd not think a xenon short-arc Maxabeam is good price performance ratio. I was considering a Brightstar 24W HID dive light but a local shop is selling it at $820 while if i get it from overseas it will be below S$600 everything in, so no go. Of coz i know dealers will need to earn lar....but sometimes it's hard to swallow.

If i want throw, definitely i will go for HID. No problem be it 10W, 20W or even 35W. Nothing beats pure horsepower and having a reasonable aperture. I used to have a 100W H3/H4 searchlamp that operated from the cigarette socket and while it is cool, it isn't portable.

Runtime, not really an issue. Anything not less than 40 mins continuous would be ok. And anyway anything less than 40 mins would be stressing the batteries too much also i guess.
    Last edited by 2100; 4th April 2006 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlim
    You should check out this one... I just got one last week... you gotta experience it yourself to understand... the throw is incredible...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ghlight=maghid
    tlim, this looks interesting. No time to search through CPF on everything man.

Wah the price is pretty high shipped, and i hate shipping through even EMS coz even they will mishandle such delicate products. Though i really like the 8xAAs.

I am actually looking at this brightstar, http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/24w/24comp.html
    However, my unit will be the dive light. So you can say that it will be absolutely waterproofed and survive the worst of SG rainstorms. hehe...... $820 bucks.
    http://www.brightstar-hid.com/produc..._e.php?UID=772

The Li-ion is both a pro and con. Pro is that you get lightness + capacity, con is that 2-3 years later when its time to change, biang. Sure have to change since Li-ion ages once it leaves the factory.
    Last edited by 2100; 4th April 2006 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Sore-eyez, yup LEDs really depend on the batts and stuff. Like i said i got the !@#$ expensive $49 21-LED from Eastgear and it is noticeably 2X brighter than those 21 LED one i got from SLS. It's $18 vs $49, so take your pick. And i definitely like the color temp from the EG one, the MIC is way too bluish.

Cateye,
    Actually if there is a need, i will get 2 lights. 1 LED and 1 HID. LED will be more for flood and HID will be more for throw. I am pretty happy with the Eastgear 21-LED flood but i'd like more absolute lumens. That's how this 100-LED thought came about. So we are talking about the "aperture" to be about 5X bigger, no problem that's not too big. Batteries not a problem, AA, C or D size ok but definitely no CR123A. Thing is, i know what you are going to say, there is no such product unless you DIY.
    Even with 50 LED i will be pretty happy. Usage will definitely be limited to within 10-20 metres.

Cateye Bro, are you a seller/dealer? If so you can recommend me some products lar.

Budget, lets not put a budget on it lor. As long as it's good value, ie price : performance ratio. I'd not think a xenon short-arc Maxabeam is good price performance ratio. I was considering a Brightstar 24W HID dive light but a local shop is selling it at $820 while if i get it from overseas it will be below S$600 everything in, so no go. Of coz i know dealers will need to earn lar....but sometimes it's hard to swallow.

If i want throw, definitely i will go for HID. No problem be it 10W, 20W or even 35W. Nothing beats pure horsepower and having a reasonable aperture. I used to have a 100W H3/H4 searchlamp that operated from the cigarette socket and while it is cool, it isn't portable.

Runtime, not really an issue. Anything not less than 40 mins continuous would be ok. And anyway anything less than 40 mins would be stressing the batteries too much also i guess.
    I'm a seller, also into collecting some flashlights, more into LEDs & Xenons, not ready to go into HID yet (more concern about size)
    For water-proof HID I think u can also look into Pelican/Princeton products, they shd have some dive-rated HID light & their prices are not too steep...

hi 2100, i was actually going 2 recommend u some CR123 powered LED flashlights.

my criteria may b diff from ur? but i personally hav
    1 LED long range flashlight w/ 1hr+ runtime,
    1 LED close range flashlight tt lasts for hrs.
    1 LED mid range flashlight i rarely use. (buy it cos i like, haa)

oso i prefer those tt can strobe, compared 2 those twist 2 on type.

Hi,
    Anybody got any recommendations for LED flashlights?
    Anything that is got say 100 LEDs?

the following review shd interest u ... "2 stars" (out of 5) rating by flashlightreviews.com
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...iao_100led.htm

100 white 5mm LEDs
    4 x AA alkalines in a special carrier
    stated weight as 13.9 oz, i.e. = 0.39 kg (FYRef, Fenix "L2P" = 110g)

approx. 1hr.20 to 50% brightness

the following review shd interest u ... "2 stars" (out of 5) rating by flashlightreviews.com
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...iao_100led.htm
    Cheap enough can liao lar. If it's so cheap i'll even get Panasonic Oxyrides to power it ($6.90 for 4+2 batts...using it for my greenie laser). It said that its luxeon III brightness but with the oxyrides it will probably be something like Luxeon V brightness. IF its cheap enough, burn out after 100hrs then burn out lor.

The MIC LEDs are usually pretty dim comparatively, but like i said damn cheap. MY wife just got 5 from Shanghai, 8 LED type.... total damage is only 40 renminbi for 5pcs (could have bargained lower but we also a bit pity them lar....their wages damn low sia). Wah lan eh, where to get man? Just anyhow put a few pcs ard the house instant use can liao.

Basket..... SG is selling for about 10 bux each, but then still cheap!

I think i'll just get a Acro X990 or Mag2HID. The latter uses 8xAA, which i like...but then 10W HID only lor.

Wow....USD39.90 for that 100LED MIC torch. The US store tan tua tua liao.

I went through the exact same thought process as you when I was deciding on a HID light (I was considering between the MagHID, X990 and the 24W AE Powerlight).

The MagHID form factor (think shorter version of Mag 2D) and weight are just about perfect if you are looking at carrying it around for a night, and batt life is somewhere between 90mins to more than 2 hrs...

I think that there were some shots comparing the X990 and the MagHID, and if I recall, the X990 is easily twice the size and weight of the MagHID, so would not be quite so easy to carry if you intend to use it for more than a few mins at a time... (Same goes for the AE)

8AA means "free lumens", and replacing the batts or having a spare set is definitely going to be cheaper than getting a spare X990 batt. Another advantage is that the MagHID can use alkaline batts, so no worries about having no power supply around to recharge when you really need it, unlike the X990 or AE.

I was playing with it the other night, and on semi-discharged batteries, I could still make out a bit of the beam at 200m even with ambient lighting... which is amazing considering its size...

Well, SGD is quite strong compared to USD for now, so buy, buy buy... or like they say, buy both!!

I think i'll just get a Acro X990 or Mag2HID. The latter uses 8xAA, which i like...but then 10W HID only lor.

tlim, this looks interesting. No time to search through CPF on everything man.

Wah the price is pretty high shipped, and i hate shipping through even EMS coz even they will mishandle such delicate products. Though i really like the 8xAAs.

I am actually looking at this brightstar, http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/24w/24comp.html
    However, my unit will be the dive light. So you can say that it will be absolutely waterproofed and survive the worst of SG rainstorms. hehe...... $820 bucks.
    http://www.brightstar-hid.com/produc..._e.php?UID=772

The Li-ion is both a pro and con. Pro is that you get lightness + capacity, con is that 2-3 years later when its time to change, biang. Sure have to change since Li-ion ages once it leaves the factory.
    How about this 10W one then? Only about S$400 shipped.

How about this 10W one then? Only about S$400 shipped.
    u got it liao huh?

I have PMed Waterfish from CPF....waiting for his reply on the Mag2HID.

No go for the S$400 Nextorch man. Uses Li-ion. On further thoughts, i think better avoid anything with batt packs.

Hey, this 3x3W is really what i am looking for. Buy!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=111651
    Last edited by 2100; 7th April 2006 at 10:07 AM.

frost
    Guests

Question Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Sorry for any interruptions, but may I know where I can buy Pelican lights in Singapore?

u got it liao huh?
    Nope. Not into HID lights yet. I'll wait till they're E2D size with 48W output for less than US$150.

Frost, I think I've seen some at HomeFix DIY shops but not sure about their pricing though.
    Last edited by cyrilng; 7th April 2006 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frost
    Sorry for any interruptions, but may I know where I can buy Pelican lights in Singapore?
    Marvid International Pte Ltd,
    Technique Centre,
    67 Ubi Crescent,
    #01-06,
    S'pore 408560

tel:6842-4332

strangely they oni accept cash transaction. i sent my LED headlamp 2 them cos i tot its got lifetime warranty but they say i bought it from a parallel importer so did not honour my warranty, they offered a new set at $60+ instead.

IMO, i no confident in them liao...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    Marvid International Pte Ltd,
    Technique Centre,
    67 Ubi Crescent,
    #01-06,
    S'pore 408560

tel:6842-4332

strangely they oni accept cash transaction. i sent my LED headlamp 2 them cos i tot its got lifetime warranty but they say i bought it from a parallel importer so did not honour my warranty, they offered a new set at $60+ instead.

IMO, i no confident in them liao...
    Where did you buy it from then? Of course they won't honor the warranty if it's not bought from them since they did not get the chance to earn your money!

Disadvantages of HID

1) Requires a ballast to work (more parts mean more prone to failure)
    2) F**king expensive bulb replacement
    3) Very Fragile (So it is expensive and fragile), very sensitive to shock
    4) No instant on/off (Instant on/off will make the light spoil faster)
    5) Poor colour rendition

Strenght

1) Very birght and long throw
    2) Efficient

Cons outweigh the pros. No non for me at the moment and it is not an appropriate light to be used for hiking, but is good for use as a searchlight.

Bulbs are indeed expensive, but will last much longer than incan... Another advantage to add to your list though is that they are much more efficient, being able to run much longer than incans at the same brightness... eg. Surefire M6 = MagHID = approx 500 lumens, but M6 uses 6 CR123s (20 mins), and the MagHID uses 8 Rechargeable AAs (>90 mins).

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Disadvantages of HID

1) Requires a ballast to work (more parts mean more prone to failure)
    2) F**king expensive bulb replacement
    3) Very Fragile (So it is expensive and fragile), very sensitive to shock
    4) No instant on/off (Instant on/off will make the light spoil faster)
    5) Poor colour rendition

Strength

1) Very birght and long throw
    2) Efficient

Cons outweigh the pros. No non for me at the moment and it is not an appropriate light to be used for hiking, but is good for use as a searchlight.

Quote Originally Posted by tlim
    Bulbs are indeed expensive, but will last much longer than incan... Another advantage to add to your list though is that they are much more efficient, being able to run much longer than incans at the same brightness... eg. Surefire M6 = MagHID = approx 500 lumens, but M6 uses 6 CR123s (20 mins), and the MagHID uses 8 Rechargeable AAs (>90 mins).
    Indeed HID are efficient as I did put it on my list, look at point no.2 However, HID are so fragile that they cannot take any shock, once drop on the ground is sure to render the light useless and malfunction. That was what happened to my HID and I have yet replace the bulb. And if you want to compare M6 to a HID (of any brand other than SF Beast) than I should say that M6 is build like a tank, it is design to be mounted on firearm to take the recoil shock, and were field tested. So indeed HID is not a light to be use for rough situation. The only HID that can take that kind of shock is the Surefire Beast, Beast II and Surefire Hellfire. The Hellfire (HID) is design to be mounted on GPMG!!!

What is the point of 90mins runtime, and if you dropped your HID, you'll be out of light. And yes, it last very long provided if you use it properly, as you should know that HID isn't instant on/off. Inapproriate use will also cause the HID bulb to spoilt faster.
    Last edited by Piper; 9th April 2006 at 02:35 AM.

Where did you buy it from then? Of course they won't honor the warranty if it's not bought from them since they did not get the chance to earn your money!
    cant b lar, does it mean my cam hav 2 b bought from Canon itself?