Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3284348515253545558 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1231

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Thanks for the quick reply man.

heh, think the princeton looks the best, the rest like abit not for normal usage kind.

roughly how much does it cost? Dun wanna kenna chop vege head.

hehe..THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolanku
    Thanks for the quick reply man.

heh, think the princeton looks the best, the rest like abit not for normal usage kind.

roughly how much does it cost? Dun wanna kenna chop vege head.

hehe..THANKS!
    All the lights I recommended can be use for general use, all are dunkable and can be used for surface diving. AFAIK the UK Q40 is the standard issue in SCDF, it is bright and very lasting. The PT Tec40 should be around $30~$35.00 only, can be found at beach road. However, for $50 budget, I would add another $10 to get the Surefire G2, I don't know how to explain, but if you were to compare them side by side when switch on, you will see that G2 puts out more useful light because it has a good combo of flood and throw. Whereas those lights that I recommended to you are all more "spotty", i.e. you will see a tight spot in the centre with lesser side spill. It is all personal preference anyway. Oh, another point about Surefire is the beam is very beautiful beam quality, no more blotchy and patchy beams like M@g, but UK40, Propolymer and Tec40 is not that bad, their beam qualities are in between Surefire and M@g.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    All the lights I recommended can be use for general use, all are dunkable and can be used for surface diving. AFAIK the UK Q40 is the standard issue in SCDF, it is bright and very lasting. The PT Tec40 should be around $30~$35.00 only, can be found at beach road. However, for $50 budget, I would add another $10 to get the Surefire G2, I don't know how to explain, but if you were to compare them side by side when switch on, you will see that G2 puts out more useful light because it has a good combo of flood and throw. Whereas those lights that I recommended to you are all more "spotty", i.e. you will see a tight spot in the centre with lesser side spill. It is all personal preference anyway. Oh, another point about Surefire is the beam is very beautiful beam quality, no more blotchy and patchy beams like M@g, but UK40, Propolymer and Tec40 is not that bad, their beam qualities are in between Surefire and M@g.
    I vouch for SureFire's quality!
    eat. drink. shoot

chuchua
    Guests

Question Agent Doggett's flashlight ("X-Files")

Wow, didn't knew that there are so many torchlight "fans" out there. maybe one of you can help me. I am searching for a long time on the small flashlight Agent Doggett from "X-Files" used. I am not sure if it was a Streamlight Scorpion or Surefire (if so, which one?). It definitely was no Maglite as I was told before from "someone who knows everything"
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks in advance and have a nice day! Marion

Default Re: Agent Doggett's flashlight ("X-Files")

One sad thing about Surefires is the low battery lifespan. 1 hr burn time...

If this can be improved, I'll surely be interested, but in the meantime, I'll stick to the lower cost LEDs. More economical....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by chuchua
    Wow, didn't knew that there are so many torchlight "fans" out there. maybe one of you can help me. I am searching for a long time on the small flashlight Agent Doggett from "X-Files" used. I am not sure if it was a Streamlight Scorpion or Surefire (if so, which one?). It definitely was no Maglite as I was told before from "someone who knows everything"
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks in advance and have a nice day! Marion
    Sorry never watch X file leh, so can't say much. But hor, all I can tell you is Streamlight Scorpion and Surefire G2 have got about the same light output lor, they are 5~10 lumens in difference nia lor....

Quote Originally Posted by zac08
    One sad thing about Surefires is the low battery lifespan. 1 hr burn time...

If this can be improved, I'll surely be interested, but in the meantime, I'll stick to the lower cost LEDs. More economical....

True, LED is much much more efficient. But at the end of the day you'll have to see what are you using a light for. Not all Surefire lights have only 1 hour runtime lah, the Lux LED version ones some have 80 hours! If you want to a Surefire with long runtime, go for the these, Surefire A2 Aviator, Surefire U2 Ultra, Surefire Lumamax L2, and they are some others but these 3 are my recommendation. The A2 Aviator is my most loved Surefire.

You see, RUNTIME and BRIGHTNESS is INVERSELY proportional, though Surefire incandescant only have 1 hour runtime, but how many other stock product can match Surefire brightness? And even if you can find one, the runtime is also about 1 hour only, like the Streamlight Scorpion, Pelican PM6 and Brinkmann Maxfire all also 1 hour runtime light that gives about 60-80 lumens of brightness. They atre called High Output lamps and runs on CR123A. Those cheapo 2AA on-the-shelf torchlight only puts out <= 8~10 lumens only but have maybe 2-3 hours runtime. Why? Those high output lamps uses Xenon gas (like what your cars' headlamps is using also) and those cheapo lights and 2AA Minim@g using Krypton gas which gives you a very orangy beam and much less bright.

True, LED is much much more efficient. But at the end of the day you'll have to see what are you using a light for. Not all Surefire lights have only 1 hour runtime lah, the Lux LED version ones some have 80 hours! If you want to a Surefire with long runtime, go for the these, Surefire A2 Aviator, Surefire U2 Ultra, Surefire Lumamax L2, and they are some others but these 3 are my recommendation. The A2 Aviator is my most loved Surefire.

You see, RUNTIME and BRIGHTNESS is INVERSELY proportional, though Surefire incandescant only have 1 hour runtime, but how many other stock product can match Surefire brightness? And even if you can find one, the runtime is also about 1 hour only, like the Streamlight Scorpion, Pelican PM6 and Brinkmann Maxfire all also 1 hour runtime light that gives about 60-80 lumens of brightness. They atre called High Output lamps and runs on CR123A. Those cheapo 2AA on-the-shelf torchlight only puts out <= 8~10 lumens only but have maybe 2-3 hours runtime. Why? Those high output lamps uses Xenon gas (like what your cars' headlamps is using also) and those cheapo lights and 2AA Minim@g using Krypton gas which gives you a very orangy beam and much less bright.
    Yup, (I think it might have been mentioned somewhere earlier & someone correct me if I'm wrong) the A2 Aviator is the only regulated incandescent Surefire flashlight (which means the beam intensity will remain consistently bright for the life of the batteries and not go progressively dimmer as the batteries drain).

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilng
    Yup, (I think it might have been mentioned somewhere earlier & someone correct me if I'm wrong) the A2 Aviator is the only regulated incandescent Surefire flashlight (which means the beam intensity will remain consistently bright for the life of the batteries and not go progressively dimmer as the batteries drain).
    Spot on! cyrilng, not only the beam brightness will not go dim, the CCR (Co-related Color Rendition) is excellent. It is like natural sunlight. There aren't many regulated incandescant around because it is difficult to regulate an incandescant light. The A2 uses LVR (Lightbulb Voltage Regulator) to regulate its special bulb. The LVR is created by a bright enigineer in Surefire call Willie Hunt. Furthermore, the A2 is a "soft-start" light which means the full load is not directly "pump" to the bulb all at one shot which is bad for the bulb. So the A2's bulb last exceptionally looonnnnggggg! I am still on my very first bulb and my A2 is 2 years old and I on it almost every night. It is a nice peice of high-tech light
    Last edited by Piper; 29th March 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Spot on! cyrilng, not only the beam brightness will not go dim, the CCR (Co-related Color Rendition) is excellent. It is like natural sunlight. There aren't many regulated incandescant around because it is difficult to regulate an incandescant light. The A2 uses LVR (Lightbulb Voltage Regulator) to regulate its special bulb. The LVR is created by a bright enigineer in Surefire call Willie Hunt. Furthermore, the A2 is a "soft-start" light which means the full load is not directly "pump" to the bulb all at one shot which is bad for the bulb. So the A2's bulb last exceptionally looonnnnggggg! I am still on my very first bulb and my A2 is 2 years old and I on it almost every night. It is a nice peice of high-tech light
    Ahh, makes me wish I still had my A2-HA-BK!

Hmmmmm... rather interesting.

Will look up those models when I have more time on hand... Finance minister is watching me liao....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Default 3 Surefire lights to let go

HI, good news for those who are looking for Surefire lights, I got 3 more Surefire lights to let go.

1) Surefire Millennium M2 Centurion (New-in-box ,contain one P60 and one P61 and paper)
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...fire_c2_m2.htm
    The M2 is a 2-battery light with an output of 65 lumens and 120 lumens on high output bulb. It also has a shock isolation bezel to absorb shock, when subjected to any kind of shock the light bulb in there is much less likely to be broken.

2) Surefire LumaMax L6 (With Box and standard accessories and papers)
    http://ledmuseum.thefire.us/l6.htm

Interested, please PM to dicuss price and other details. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zephirum; 6th April 2006 at 09:42 PM.

Hi,

Anybody got any recommendations for LED flashlights? Luxeon V is very expensive but unparralled for throw. I currently have the 21 LED flashlight gotten from Eastgear and it is visibly brighter and whiter than the much cheaper ones that are MIC (they are bluish, poor CRI).
    Anything that is got say 100 LEDs?

How about HID flashlights/searchlights locally? Am afraid of ordering from overseas due to pretty high costs. I enquired a Brightstar 24W HID dive light and it's S$820! (overseas USD 255 and postage at most 85 bux nia).

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Hi,

Anybody got any recommendations for LED flashlights? Luxeon V is very expensive but unparralled for throw. I currently have the 21 LED flashlight gotten from Eastgear and it is visibly brighter and whiter than the much cheaper ones that are MIC (they are bluish, poor CRI).

How about HID flashlights/searchlights locally? Am afraid of ordering from overseas due to pretty high costs. I enquired a Brightstar 24W HID dive light and it's S$820! (overseas USD 255 and postage at most 85 bux nia).
    SureFire Lumamax L6. Tried it once and fell in love with it
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    SureFire Lumamax L6. Tried it once and fell in love with it
    Opps...forgot to mention no CR123A batteries. Unless anyone can confirm that the rechargeables can work no problem in them.

No HID eh..... Sigh....have 150W HID for my aquarium. HID flashlite really steam steam.
    Last edited by 2100; 3rd April 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Hi,

Actually LuxV is more for wide area ilumination whilst a LuxIII with the right reflector & driver will throw like no tomorrow.

A good buy is the Fenix LuxI L1P or L2P which run on 1AA/2AAs. Check with CatEYE for local stocks at recently lowered & very affordable prices.
    Last edited by cyrilng; 3rd April 2006 at 07:40 PM.

Opps...forgot to mention no CR123A batteries. Unless anyone can confirm that the rechargeables can work no problem in them.

No HID eh..... Sigh....have 150W HID for my aquarium. HID flashlite really steam steam.
    How about building your own with this US$110 DIY 35W HID kit being built by a local torchlight enthusiast?

Hi,

got 100 LEDs does not mean it will b brighter, brightness will oso depend on d circuit & combined power of d batts.

wads ur budget? any criterias 4 d flashlight, wad will u normally use them 4?

You should check out this one... I just got one last week... you gotta experience it yourself to understand... the throw is incredible...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ghlight=maghid

Hi,

"21-LED" is more of a flood light & meant for short range, it's bright if u look @ it directly or if there are light-color walls around for the light to rebound back to your eyes. If u use these multi-5mm-LED outdoor darkness, it won't illuminate far (unless u have "optic" for these little 5mm LED). U can get those 100x 5mm-LEDs, I doubt it'll helps if u really want range...

Maybe u have to consider some of the following factors before u narrow down to what type of "bright" light will fit your purpose :
    - battery type
    - run-time requirement
    - illumination requirement (range, coverage)
    - your budget
    etc...
    Last edited by CatEYE; 4th April 2006 at 06:13 AM.