Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22374245464748495257 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1231

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

  1. #921
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Marine Parade
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    hi, everyone. After reading the torch thread, I was very interested in torches. But i am a person that only buy once and not upgrading constantly. Thus I have quite a hand full of question which requires your experience to answer. First of all, I need to clarify that the torch light that i need will be used for 3 purpose, hiking forest or jungles(esp night), playing like in east coast park, defense. All according to highest to lowest prioty.Thus the light i need is Xenon and not LED to have peneration of foggy areas during treking or hiking.

    1) What would you recommend base on the needs above?
    2) The CR123 I have seen in sheares and cost 3 bucks per batt. I find it quite expensive that each batt last only 75 - 90 mins per use. That means if i go oversea to trek, i will need to purchase 2 bat per day which is 6 bucks. Any cheaper means like rechargable?
    3) I have saw the numerous sample of surefires in sheares but i couldnt visiualise it will be how strong during the night. Base on G2 65 lumens, in the night how far can it shine and how bright. Couldnt find this info.
    4) I think my budget is around max 200++ a bit only. haha
    5) Currently after doing a lot of reading and search i have narrowed down to 4.

    Surefire: E2E Excutive, G2Z, G2
    Pelican M6
    Fenix: L1P or L2P

    Reason of thinking of buying the surefires models above esp the E2E is because the material and the lens made is very robust and solid. Able to support me through tough times. Esp it is weatherproof but i guess now all surefires are weather proof every since they announce. But price wise quite ex 200++, As for G2, it is not as solid as E2E but the cost is also cheap around 60+, and for G2Z, the difference to G2 is the pyrex lens used. So the question i have is E2E can really resist knocking, dropping from heights? Does that mean G2 and G2Z cant because it is made of niroloton? Any real life experience?

    As for the pelican M6, it is the cheaper version but not as hard beating. Other than that, the performance wise should be the same.

    Fenix: hmm is LED but can conisder since the bulid is similar to surefires, cheaper.

    Any comments and recommendation? Actually what i wanted is strong bulid, and batt can last longer or cheaper means of batt lastly weather proof. If can dive about 20,30m would be a plus but not nesscary.

  2. #922

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    hi, everyone. After reading the torch thread, I was very interested in torches. But i am a person that only buy once and not upgrading constantly. Thus I have quite a hand full of question which requires your experience to answer. First of all, I need to clarify that the torch light that i need will be used for 3 purpose, hiking forest or jungles(esp night), playing like in east coast park, defense. All according to highest to lowest prioty.Thus the light i need is Xenon and not LED to have peneration of foggy areas during treking or hiking.

    1) What would you recommend base on the needs above?
    2) The CR123 I have seen in sheares and cost 3 bucks per batt. I find it quite expensive that each batt last only 75 - 90 mins per use. That means if i go oversea to trek, i will need to purchase 2 bat per day which is 6 bucks. Any cheaper means like rechargable?
    3) I have saw the numerous sample of surefires in sheares but i couldnt visiualise it will be how strong during the night. Base on G2 65 lumens, in the night how far can it shine and how bright. Couldnt find this info.
    4) I think my budget is around max 200++ a bit only. haha
    5) Currently after doing a lot of reading and search i have narrowed down to 4.

    Surefire: E2E Excutive, G2Z, G2
    Pelican M6
    Fenix: L1P or L2P

    Reason of thinking of buying the surefires models above esp the E2E is because the material and the lens made is very robust and solid. Able to support me through tough times. Esp it is weatherproof but i guess now all surefires are weather proof every since they announce. But price wise quite ex 200++, As for G2, it is not as solid as E2E but the cost is also cheap around 60+, and for G2Z, the difference to G2 is the pyrex lens used. So the question i have is E2E can really resist knocking, dropping from heights? Does that mean G2 and G2Z cant because it is made of niroloton? Any real life experience?

    As for the pelican M6, it is the cheaper version but not as hard beating. Other than that, the performance wise should be the same.

    Fenix: hmm is LED but can conisder since the bulid is similar to surefires, cheaper.

    Any comments and recommendation? Actually what i wanted is strong bulid, and batt can last longer or cheaper means of batt lastly weather proof. If can dive about 20,30m would be a plus but not nesscary.

    Hi,

    Wrong wrong!You are so wrong my friend!

    1) L1P quality is far from Surefire's HA3 coating and L1P's HA3 is NOT up to Mil-spec standard. You definitely cannot compare L1P to any Surefire HA3 coating lah.

    2) The G2 is as tough as E2e if not tougher, I dropped my G2Z countless time and I am still on my very 1st stock lamp assembly (2 yrs old). The Nitrolon plastic can handle shock, heat and just about anything you can give to it. It can really takes a beating! In fact I prefer to use the Nitrolon on very tough environment than to the HA3, why? Cos it is cheaper and you won't feel "heart pain". It is not so easy to dink or leave nicks on the Nitrolon.

    Since you are talking about using it for hiking, I would recommend you get an LED if you want to use Surefire (because LED is more power efficent) due to the runtime, like E1L (within your budget), oh well there is an incandescant model the E2O Outdoorsman (obviously is for hiking) and is also with your budget. Or else you can go with the Pelican M6 and a Streamlight 4AA LED. The Pelican M6 throws the furthest for a 2x CR123A light, while the G2 will give you more flood (a wall of light). Normally for hiking, I will use LED as the primary light and incandescant for spoting things far away. And also, get lights that use the same type of batts.

  3. #923

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by tlim
    thanks... hv found site to get the SL4AA online... USD22.95 plus shipping...

    I might check out beach rd later...

    No need to check, sheares selling at S$99!!! Better buy online.

  4. #924
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    i need will be used for 3 purpose, hiking forest or jungles(esp night), playing like in east coast park, defense. All according to highest to lowest prioty.Thus the light i need is Xenon and not LED to have peneration of foggy areas during treking or hiking.
    For short-trip hiking, IMO I will go for 1 Xenon, 1 high-power LED + back-up batteries. Xenon lamp can illuminate a target with stronger constrast, is much better for outdoor search compare to the LED type. LED headlamp will be good as it can free up both your hands.
    If u wanna keep all in "AA" formation, get the Princeton Tec-40 (4AA Xenon), cheap & good & longer run-time. & get the L2P, the 2AA model (visibly brighter than L1P).

    For the HA3 thingy, if u are not going thru tasks like the BMT recruits charging up the hill, your torch with lower than mil-spec surface treatment will be fine lah. My HA3 Surefire "L4" in my pocket with keys also kana scratches REGRET!!!

  5. #925
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Marine Parade
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    i would like to know where did can i actually have a look at the fenix models and try out?

  6. #926

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    i would like to know where did can i actually have a look at the fenix models and try out?

    CatEye is the agent in singapore for Fenix torchlights, PM him.

  7. #927
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Marine Parade
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Anyone experience ordering from Batterystation? Does the product comes safetly? how about their batt? is it same standard as the ones sold in singaporE?

  8. #928
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    Anyone experience ordering from Batterystation? Does the product comes safetly? how about their batt? is it same standard as the ones sold in singaporE?
    ordered twice from Batterystation.com, all the Pelican M6s i ordered arrived safely via GPM. Just a note that you need to be a CPF member to enjoy the special price for some of the items.

  9. #929
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Marine Parade
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Just met up with Cateye. Bought from him a Fenix L2P and GMX. Both are very bright and far greater from my expection. This is my first time investing on torchlights and i must say they are really worth for value. Fenix L2P i believe a lot of ppl should know, tested waterproof(really), lifetime warranty(really ). The brightness of the LED could even potrude over to my next block which is 15 metres. Even had the owner coming out to complaint

    But for the GMX tactical vision, i think its new to you all. I do a small review. It looks like SF C2 for the design without the clip, and it powers as good as G2. The bulid is HA type 2, powered at 65 lumens. 1 hour runtime. Glass I am not sure though but it is hard and strong. The bulb is not using what surefire uses but it can use the lamp assembly of P60 and P61. Plus at a price. hehe. I compared it side by side with cateye's G2 and it covers the same distance as the G2(we test it in the night around 8+). Plus although Cateye told me it is not water proof but water resisant for the GMX, i went back to try on a pail, the GMX works wonders. Took out and remove the head and tail to see if it is wet inside. Not at all. Both the O ring in the front and back protects it. As for the weight wise, it is slightly heavlier and bigger than G2 but by that bit only haha.

    P.S Cateye suggest if you really think that your torch will be dunk in water, try to oil it around the O ring. This prevents the ring from being rough and when you tighten the ring, the rubber will be uneven. This result in leakage.

    Cateye, I on the GMX for 10mins and find that the whole torch is hot, really hot. I wonder is this normal? I wonder is this normal compared to surefire's aluminium xenon torchlight that uses P60 lamp?

    Last edited by Discman; 14th December 2005 at 11:22 PM.

  10. #930

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Haha, be prepared to burn a big hole in your pocket!!! Welcome to the world of flashaholism. Many "non-flashaholic" dun understand why we buy so many lights.

    good that you got your 1st good torch. but until you really use a Surefire, you ain't see nothing yet. hahaha


    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    Just met up with Cateye. Bought from him a Fenix L2P and GMX. Both are very bright and far greater from my expection. This is my first time investing on torchlights and i must say they are really worth for value. Fenix L2P i believe a lot of ppl should know, tested waterproof(really), lifetime warranty(really ). The brightness of the LED could even potrude over to my next block which is 15 metres. Even had the owner coming out to complaint

    But for the GMX tactical vision, i think its new to you all. I do a small review. It looks like SF C2 for the design without the clip, and it powers as good as G2. The bulid is HA type 2, powered at 65 lumens. 1 hour runtime. Glass I am not sure though but it is hard and strong. The bulb is not using what surefire uses but it can use the lamp assembly of P60 and P61. Plus at a price. hehe. I compared it side by side with cateye's G2 and it covers the same distance as the G2(we test it in the night around 8+). Plus although Cateye told me it is not water proof but water resisant for the GMX, i went back to try on a pail, the GMX works wonders. Took out and remove the head and tail to see if it is wet inside. Not at all. Both the O ring in the front and back protects it. As for the weight wise, it is slightly heavlier and bigger than G2 but by that bit only haha.

    P.S Cateye suggest if you really think that your torch will be dunk in water, try to oil it around the O ring. This prevents the ring from being rough and when you tighten the ring, the rubber will be uneven. This result in leakage.

    Cateye, I on the GMX for 10mins and find that the whole torch is hot, really hot. I wonder is this normal? I wonder is this normal compared to surefire's aluminium xenon torchlight that uses P60 lamp?

  11. #931
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    Just met up with Cateye. Bought from him a Fenix L2P and GMX. Both are very bright and far greater from my expection. This is my first time investing on torchlights and i must say they are really worth for value. Fenix L2P i believe a lot of ppl should know, tested waterproof(really), lifetime warranty(really ). The brightness of the LED could even potrude over to my next block which is 15 metres. Even had the owner coming out to complaint

    But for the GMX tactical vision, i think its new to you all. I do a small review. It looks like SF C2 for the design without the clip, and it powers as good as G2. The bulid is HA type 2, powered at 65 lumens. 1 hour runtime. Glass I am not sure though but it is hard and strong. The bulb is not using what surefire uses but it can use the lamp assembly of P60 and P61. Plus at a price. hehe. I compared it side by side with cateye's G2 and it covers the same distance as the G2(we test it in the night around 8+). Plus although Cateye told me it is not water proof but water resisant for the GMX, i went back to try on a pail, the GMX works wonders. Took out and remove the head and tail to see if it is wet inside. Not at all. Both the O ring in the front and back protects it. As for the weight wise, it is slightly heavlier and bigger than G2 but by that bit only haha.

    P.S Cateye suggest if you really think that your torch will be dunk in water, try to oil it around the O ring. This prevents the ring from being rough and when you tighten the ring, the rubber will be uneven. This result in leakage.

    Cateye, I on the GMX for 10mins and find that the whole torch is hot, really hot. I wonder is this normal? I wonder is this normal compared to surefire's aluminium xenon torchlight that uses P60 lamp?

    Thanks for your mini review!
    f.y.i. Xenon lamp belongs to "incan", so-called "hot-wire" or "hand-warmer". My Surefire 5-Watter "L4" also get hot after 1-2 minutes of operation, it will quite hot after 3-5mins.
    P61 draws alot of current, & it is even hotter, so u better watch-out!

  12. #932
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Yo Piper,

    Surefire is good for its workmanship (etc etc), but in the "common" battery arena (AAA/AA/C/D), they are no where in this league.

    Maybe this coming 2006 1st qtr (???), there might be something interesting coming out, use 1AA battery, Surefire-grade HA3, glow-in-the-dark dial, hardened & AR-coated UCL lens... 1Watt when u use 1AA Alkies/Ni-MH, 3Watt when u use 14500 Li-ION rechargeables. Hold-on to your wallet!

    Here's the artist's impression drawing...


    More to come!

  13. #933

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by CatEYE
    Yo Piper,

    Surefire is good for its workmanship (etc etc), but in the "common" battery arena (AAA/AA/C/D), they are no where in this league.
    CatEye, you are right! Surefire dun make light using AA or AAA batteries because they need the high power of the CR123A batts as you know they made only high power lights. AA batts is not good for this, that's why. They made lights for US army, CR123A is more suitable in battlefeild. Longer shelf-life, lighter and they dun leak. Also, Surefire lights are FIELD TESTED, they are mounted on weapons and can withstand weapon recoils. No one doubt their toughness (in case you get a spoilt SF, call them get RMA# and they send you a new light). Which other lights is as successful as Surefire? Many made empty claims about how rugged their lights are, but who knows......haha. Also Surefire always underrates their lights, so you know you are getting really more light out of every Surefire lights. Eg. A2 aviator is rated 50 lumens, well someone in CPF stuck an A2 into an integrating sphere, you know how bright the A2 REALLY is? It is 70+ lumens measured by the integrating sphere, and integrating spheres dun lie. The M6 was marketed by Surefire to be 500 lumens, but was measured to give 600++ lumens in Integrating sphere.

    And lastly, it is one of the few lights that is 100% made in USA.
    Last edited by Piper; 15th December 2005 at 11:01 AM.

  14. #934

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by CatEYE
    Thanks for your mini review!
    f.y.i. Xenon lamp belongs to "incan", so-called "hot-wire" or "hand-warmer". My Surefire 5-Watter "L4" also get hot after 1-2 minutes of operation, it will quite hot after 3-5mins.
    P61 draws alot of current, & it is even hotter, so u better watch-out!

    yah! that's why there is a logo saying "Hot surface". If you think 2x CR123A is hot, then try my SF M6 (6x CR123A) after 10 mins, the WHOLE torch will be hot....hahaha IMHO, the L4 is a light where you need to hold on the bezel if you need to switch in on for a long period. As you know heat is not good for your LED. I find that the L5 and L6 are better design and suited a Lux 5 LED as the heat sinking abilities of these 2 lights is amazing. I DON'T feel any heat (because of bigger head) at all on my L6 even after 1 hours continues on.
    Last edited by Piper; 15th December 2005 at 11:12 AM.

  15. #935
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    WOW, surefire die-hard fan here man better keep quiet! hahaha...

  16. #936
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Hey me too Surefire fan leh. But that does not mean we Surefire fans are so die-hard we are not open to other things

    Actually, being the guy who started this thread, I am very much amazed by the unending response up to now. My main aim is not to promote Surefire although it is very much the only brand I use, but it is to promote the spirit of flashaholism don't flame me guys for your new addiction. My bad. We all now belong in this camp of so called "seow" folks. So might as well live to enjoy it

    Happy flashing guys

  17. #937

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Quote Originally Posted by CatEYE
    WOW, surefire die-hard fan here man better keep quiet! hahaha...

    Well, if a light well made, you can deny its quality wad. I also say Inova is good also, so you going to call me an Inova fan? heeheehee Well, I am just a flashaholic lah

  18. #938
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    hehe no worry! I have some surefire also, & will continue to collect if I find any model interesting (getting them not really for actual use, rather I'm more into studying the way design/construct their torches & also the way how they derive their marketing claims targeting their specific group of potential buyers)

    also looking @ the following thread, some discussions going on...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=101290

  19. #939
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    30

    Default 7 Watt torch ?

    Saw this at Tampines shop
    7 watt Luxeon LED torch light
    max 138 Lumens 50 000+ hours LEDs

    http://www.mteccd.com/index.html

  20. #940
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tel:67288415
    Posts
    32

    Thumbs down Re: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

    Luxeon LED
    Max 138 Lumens
    Made with aerospace aluminium
    3 mile visibility
    50 000+ hours LEDs
    15 hours burn time
    Constant on/off
    Waterproof
    Includes 2 CR123 batteries
    Available in black
    Length: 13.5cm
    Weight: 130g (excluding batteries)
    hahaha 15hrs of b.s. run-time, "break-thru" by MTE woah! Wattage = voltage * current, 6V*1.2A=7.2Watt LED power 'sound' alright to anyone?
    Last edited by CatEYE; 16th December 2005 at 03:10 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •