Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15303538394041424550 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    i see. I maybe sending in L5 and L4 in for unfavourable tint (too greenish). I have the KL3 too. Does your KL3 have a very blueish tint?
    I don't think Surefire warranty on LED Bin. A bluish or greenish tint is not a manufacturing defect and is merely technology available at time of manufacture. In another words, if the light is working then it is not considered spoilt. You might want to check with them first, who knows there is a change in policy.

Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    I got a question also...
    I saw somewhere someone mentioned can use work-lights for cheap version of studio for photography. Think they come on stands and usually light up dark construction areas. Where can I get work-lights? Anybody know?
    I think I know what you mean. I will check up with another fellow photographer in my studio since he has some of that which he used for jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    I don't think Surefire warranty on LED Bin. A bluish or greenish tint is not a manufacturing defect and is merely technology available at time of manufacture. In another words, if the light is working then it is not considered spoilt. You might want to check with them first, who knows there is a change in policy.
    thks for the advice. Well, SF is willing to change for me but have to get a RMA no. 1st, and that's why i am asking about the shipping stuffs. Since I am sending the whole light, I scare it might get lost. But I will consider if it takes really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccplim
    This seems to be the same one that I just bought recently. I will try to check on the voltage/current on my charger and see if you can find a similar one outside
    thanx for helping with info....funny thing...this torch...doesn't have a brand on it....its juz says it uses Philips halogen bulb. :P very helpful indeed...haha

oh yah thanx Andy Ho too.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    thanx for helping with info....funny thing...this torch...doesn't have a brand on it....its juz says it uses Philips halogen bulb. :P very helpful indeed...haha

oh yah thanx Andy Ho too.
    Just checked. The output rating on my charger states
    output: 12v~350ma 4.2VA

The instruction on the box states that if you use Philips bulb, it will produce whiter light (I'm gonna get one and try it out)

Just checked. The output rating on my charger states
    output: 12v~350ma 4.2VA

The instruction on the box states that if you use Philips bulb, it will produce whiter light (I'm gonna get one and try it out)

eerrr....so what kind of charger should i get? and where can i get it from?
    is yours exactly same as mine? mine sort of abit yellowish light...
    One-North Explorers

just remember not to touch the bulb with your bare hands, use a glove or something to hold it. As there are oils on our hands, it will result the bulb to be blackened or explode IIRC

my friend mentioned i could slice off the car-charger head, and fit it to a adapter plug that could power down the home voltage....

issit safe? he says the adapter head can be bought cheaply for around $3-$4
    One-North Explorers

[QUOTE=sbs99]ok i got a torch question....where better to ask than here...
    hehe

recently i bought a 3.5m halogen torch of someone, but he gave me only a car-charger plug for the torch. I was at OCH so i bought it hastily for fun...never owned a powerful light torch before. (If any of u guys is the one who sold me the torch...where's the full accessories?? hahaha)

Would like to know if it's possible if i snip the car charger head off and rewire it to a 3-pin plug? Is the voltage different? (car and home socket)

(i bought it without the box...it doesn't come with specs too...what i heard it's just a low end halogen torch from Mustafa center)

Or is there anywhere i could buy a 3-pin charger seperately for my torch?

If your torchlight came with a simple car charger plug, chances is that your torchlight is using a 12v battery.
    Why don't you try opening up the torch and confirm? You should be able to see the voltage value on the battery itself. Usually torchlights of this size use sealed lead acid batteries. In which case, you can pretty much use any 12-14 volt charger to charge it. Charging time will depend on the amp hr rating on the charger and the total current rating on your battery.
    If you are not sure which charger to buy, maybe can try getting another cheap torch from Carrefore (Contra $9.90). But make sure the adapter fits your torchlight first

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    If your torchlight came with a simple car charger plug, chances is that your torchlight is using a 12v battery.
    Why don't you try opening up the torch and confirm? You should be able to see the voltage value on the battery itself. Usually torchlights of this size use sealed lead acid batteries. In which case, you can pretty much use any 12-14 volt charger to charge it. Charging time will depend on the amp hr rating on the charger and the total current rating on your battery.
    If you are not sure which charger to buy, maybe can try getting another cheap torch from Carrefore (Contra $9.90). But make sure the adapter fits your torchlight first

Hey thanx...guess i got to open it up and see then. There's no specialized opening....have to unscrew the head remove the bulb and everything...the body's completely sealed up from what i see. hahaha....will check it out! Thanx!
    One-North Explorers

eerrr....so what kind of charger should i get? and where can i get it from?
    is yours exactly same as mine? mine sort of abit yellowish light...
    You might want to look at those variable voltage type selling in hardware store and see if you can find one with similar current ratings.

As for the torch, it seems to be the same one as mine (the sticker with the 3.5m candle light power on the side).

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    just remember not to touch the bulb with your bare hands, use a glove or something to hold it. As there are oils on our hands, it will result the bulb to be blackened or explode IIRC
    Thank you for the advise. Appreciate that

You might want to look at those variable voltage type selling in hardware store and see if you can find one with similar current ratings.

As for the torch, it seems to be the same one as mine (the sticker with the 3.5m candle light power on the side).
    Be careful though that you choose only those that have a charge function. Normal stepdown transformers in hardware shops are not suitable for use as chargers and are quite dangerous especially when charging a fully discharged lead acid battery, as the initial high current required can overload the transformer or boil the acid in the battery.

Chargers are specially built with either voltage regulation (slower to charge but cheaper to buy) or current regulation.

If you are technically inclined and assuming your torchlight is using lead acid battery, you might want to check out this site for more information of correct charging of such batteries.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-13.htm

Default Adaptor needed for this torch...

Apparently they don't sell the adaptor seperately...

Ok...roughly i know what's the specs of the adaptor needed...but i couldn't find it.

Anybody knows where would be a place to buy adaptors? I think those neighbourhood shops dun carry it, neither does Mustafa center.
    They have those multiple adaptors, but it's all 4.5 vA, and not 4.2 vA. Not sure if that would damage the torch.

Seeking the original adaptor...

Adapter Specs:

AC-DC Adaptor
    Type: PPI-1235-TUV
    Input: 230v - 50 Hz
    Output: 12v = 350mA 4.2 vA
    Last edited by sbs99; 2nd May 2005 at 10:31 AM.
    One-North Explorers

Anybody knows where would be a place to buy adaptors? I think those neighbourhood shops dun carry it, neither does Mustafa center.
    They have those multiple adaptors, but it's all 4.5 vA, and not 4.2 vA. Not sure if that would damage the torch.

Seeking the original adaptor...

Adapter Specs:

AC-DC Adaptor
    Type: PPI-1235-TUV
    Input: 230v - 50 Hz
    Output: 12v = 350mA 4.2 vA
    4.5va will give an average 25mA more.. It shouldn't damage the battery if it's a SLA..

hi guys... joined this forum due to devilion's recommendation from AIOmobile.

I came here juz for the torchlight sections... I didn't read much about the past post but you all do mention the SF (shortform for surefire) M6 alot. Firstly its a 9v lame so if u happen to hav a turbo head, juz pop in the MN21 and voiala! 500lumens. But now the more popular torch is the Modded 1D MAG powered by pilas.
    CHeck out more details here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...t=1&PHPSESSID=

Gives u 700lumens for 40minutes and its rechargable.

you guys should check out this site.... CandlePowerForums members from singapore http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...t=1&PHPSESSID=

BTW this is one my baby

im curious...so for non-photographers...what do they use the torchlights for? collecting?

anyways...what kinda small torch would u all recommend buying? im thinking of getting one to do some painting with light stuff. where to buy and price?

i use them in my military camp. the torches there sucks big time!

i recommend u get them at shears. Its near Shaw tower and u get to sample the light. Because i don't really know what sort of brightness u want

Hi Atom,

So you got the 1D Mag mod? Where did you buy it ? Can help me buy one or two (tompang, to split shipping cost) if u are buying it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomSphere
    hi guys... joined this forum due to devilion's recommendation from AIOmobile.

I came here juz for the torchlight sections... I didn't read much about the past post but you all do mention the SF (shortform for surefire) M6 alot. Firstly its a 9v lame so if u happen to hav a turbo head, juz pop in the MN21 and voiala! 500lumens. But now the more popular torch is the Modded 1D MAG powered by pilas.
    CHeck out more details here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...t=1&PHPSESSID=

Gives u 700lumens for 40minutes and its rechargable.