Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324273247 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    Hey Roy, is that bikini brand new ? used ? or ..... fresh from the studio shoots
    Different price different on new or old, condition, style etc.....but let's not go there...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

ok. time to start MO for freshly used bikinis:

1. caseytan

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    ok. time to start MO for freshly used bikinis:

freshly used bikinis, worn by madmacs during the studio shoot, as is condition. No refunds.

We have choice of colors, red, green, blue, pink, white, yellow.. you name it, he'll wear it for you

Although I collect torchlights as a hobby...the torchlight , as morganoh stated, is also a part and parcel of my photography equipment.
    There is always one in my camera bag.
    It usefulness cannot be denied when rumaging through my bag at night and dim light conditions....inside buildings, night shoots etc.
    It's definitely a big help in focussing when doing shoots in these conditions when I do not have AF or the AF in-camera becomes ineffective.
    However if the moderators feel that torchlights are not considered as photo equipment....
    No probs with that too

I too uses my lights for photography. Besides using strobes to light up my subject and the room, I also clip my torchlights to light stands and stuff like that to light up certain niche and corners. It is to me photography related as well as for general use.

I respect Roy's decision in prohibiting sales of torchlights in CS. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and CS is not a market place. Please kindly PM Cyril Ng if you need his help getting lights.

i think torchlights should be considered as tools for photography and therefore allowed in consumer corner and buy & sell forums. dont forget we have MO for gaffer tapes too. do i use gaffer tapes >50% of the time? i don't think so though i know of people who use gaffer tape to wrap their cams. but i doubt these are a majority. so mods, let's be more open about this

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    We have been through this before.

We consider a piece of equipment photography related when it is main function (>50% of the time) is related to photography.

Like Darren said, if we don't draw the line clearly then someone will soon sell cars on CS because cars roo can be related to photography. For example, you can transport your photography equipment in a car, or you can use it as a prop if you want to take your own race queen photos.

Some people use mahjong lamps as light source for still life photography that does not mean that a mahjong lamp is a piece of photographic equipment.

How about selling bikini because they are worn by models for studio shoots?

- Roy
    OK. Understood..

Thanks for explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    I respect Roy's decision in prohibiting sales of torchlights in CS. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and CS is not a market place. Please kindly PM Cyril Ng if you need his help getting lights.
    Thanks for your understanding, but this is not just my decision. The mod team constantly review new and exotic items that are bordering around the 50% photography usage criteria. As of now, torchlights are not considered photographic equipment because they are not specific enough. If the mods and admins collectively agree later that it can be considered to be so, then we will include it in the "approved" items list. When that heppens, this thread can even be moved to the "Other Equipment" subforum.

For the time being, please refrain from conducting buy/sell activities of torchlights on CS.

Thanks!

Roy
    Last edited by roygoh; 7th July 2004 at 06:25 AM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by fantom
    Although I collect torchlights as a hobby...the torchlight , as morganoh stated, is also a part and parcel of my photography equipment.
    There is always one in my camera bag.
    It usefulness cannot be denied when rumaging through my bag at night and dim light conditions....inside buildings, night shoots etc.
    It's definitely a big help in focussing when doing shoots in these conditions when I do not have AF or the AF in-camera becomes ineffective.
    However if the moderators feel that torchlights are not considered as photo equipment....
    No probs with that too
    No offence, but I always have a pack of tissue paper in my camera bag, and I use it to cover my flash to diffuse the light source. Its usefulness cannot be denied and it helps tremendously to reduce harsh shadows for indoor flash portraits.

I also always have a HB pencil with the eraser tip in my camera bag all the time as I use the eraser to clean the battery contacts should they oxidize and cause poor contact. It is definitely a big help when my trusty old SB24 suddenly refuses to power up.

I use athletic socks to add protection for my lenses when I pack them in my bag.

Hope you get the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    No offence, but I always have a pack of tissue paper in my camera bag, and I use it to cover my flash to diffuse the light source. Its usefulness cannot be denied and it helps tremendously to reduce harsh shadows for indoor flash portraits.

I also always have a HB pencil with the eraser tip in my camera bag all the time as I use the eraser to clean the battery contacts should they oxidize and cause poor contact. It is definitely a big help when my trusty old SB24 suddenly refuses to power up.

I use athletic socks to add protection for my lenses when I pack them in my bag.

Hope you get the idea...
    good ideas esp for newbies. and these can be discussed yes?

yeah, really a good idea, i should use socks to add protection the lenses

Anyone want to buy used socks for lens covers then?

i think torchlights should be considered as tools for photography and therefore allowed in consumer corner and buy & sell forums. dont forget we have MO for gaffer tapes too. do i use gaffer tapes >50% of the time? i don't think so though i know of people who use gaffer tape to wrap their cams. but i doubt these are a majority. so mods, let's be more open about this
    We are not using an individual's use of a piece of equipment to decide if it can be considered photography related. Please see my previous post.

There are many other items can can be used as tools that aid photography, limited only by one's creativity.

The discussion on gaffer tapes started off from the viewpoint of protecting photographic equipment, unlike this thread.

I am not saying that torchlights buy/sell will never be allowed in CS. As explained in my previous post, the mod team is open minded and flexible in the sense that we do update the guidelines from time to time. However, you have to understand that once the guidelines are set, we have to uphold it with our best efforts. Being ambiguous would be openning a floodgate, inviting buy/sell ads on anything under the sun because there will always be people creative enough to link even a trash can to photography.

Thanks!

Roy

Can be discussed of course, as long as there are no ads for selling tissue paper here.

I think there has been enough discussion on whether or not torchlights can be considered photography related.

You guys should go back to discussing about your hobby.

As it stands now, please refrain from conducting sales of torchlights or MOs here on CS, until the admin/mod team decides that it can be allowed.

Thanks!

Roy

ah..there goes my idea of doing MO for socks... :P

ah..there goes my idea of doing MO for socks... :P
    Well, kudos to everyone for responding and being able to discuss this in such a civil manner. That is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilng
    Anyone want to buy used socks for lens covers then?
    got holes or not ??

upz for you

and for those who's looking for a cheap and super bright light, and don't mind the size. look at this ad from carrefour, taken from last friday's todayonline.com

$9.90 2 Mllion Rechargeable Candlepower Spotlight

i just bought one myself since it's so darn cheap, and it's pretty bright I can shine to the top of Hitachi Tower @ Raffles Place

it comes with a AC/DC adaptor and a 12V car charger adaptor for charging the light. According to the piece of paper, it takes 15 hours for a full charge, no idea about the runtime of this light yet.

Default Surefire imitation?

Hi torchlight enthusiasts,

I wanted to purchase a Surefire (been procrastinating for the past 2 years or so).. so I went to SngArms this morning.

They are out of stock for Surefires... but they have a very similar one... they call it their housebrand under the name of Paul London, and the model they have is the Life Guard.

It's quite bright.. was selling for $104 but is now on sale at $65.

Anyone reviewed this before? Seems like a good buy. Any recommendations? Hmmm.. how about this compared to the Pelican M6 Lithium or Streamlight Scorpion?

Please advise.... need to get a good light for my weekend trip.