Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12347122752 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1231

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    How do you like the Arc LSH-P? I was wondering how it compares in terms of power to my Inova X5T.
    We love the LSH-P, it's bright & compact. Not sure how it compares with Inova tho, another more affordable alternative to LSH-P would be a local product called Longbow Micra.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    s-wrx ; where did u get the arc aaa's from? thier pretty cool rite? haf one 2
    Yes, they're real cool! Got them from Sheares.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s_wrx
    Yes, they're real cool! Got them from Sheares.
    huh, sheares has arc aaa's? how much? i got mine from mass order from US...

  4. #24
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Hey C'mon guys,

    Be a spot. Both my friends are very keen to know you guys and are wishing that we could gather in Pulau Ubin to overnite this Sat. Why Pulau Ubin? Because that place is much darker than mainland Singapore and it is really a good place to play with your flashlights. We can cycle or walk around to explore the island. Please either fill your name up in the previous post or you can PM me to arrange.

    Regards,
    Andy Ho

  5. #25

    Default

    wah i didn't know torch light got such a following too.. I have only a mini maglite.. how to fight with the big torches?

  6. #26
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Here is my small collection :

    Princeton Tec Matrix
    Princeton Tec 20
    Brinkmann LED II
    UK 1200
    Ikelite PCa
    Cateye HL-1500
    Cateye HL-1600
    Cateye HL-500II
    Cateye EL-100
    Cateye LD-600

    Used to have a 6D maglite and 2AA minimag.

  7. #27
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    wah i didn't know torch light got such a following too.. I have only a mini maglite.. how to fight with the big torches?
    You don't have to fight with the big torches. A hobby is a hobby. Nobody has to win and out fight each other. My torch is not big but of cause it has a big power. If you are interested to join us to Ubin this weekend, I may even lend you my Streamlight Scorpion to play with. Surefire M2 cannot as it is too expensive.

    Andy Ho

  8. #28
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Here is my small collection :

    Princeton Tec Matrix
    Princeton Tec 20
    Brinkmann LED II
    UK 1200
    Ikelite PCa
    Cateye HL-1500
    Cateye HL-1600
    Cateye HL-500II
    Cateye EL-100
    Cateye LD-600

    Used to have a 6D maglite and 2AA minimag.
    Hi Frisky,

    How are the Princetons fairing? I heard a lot of bad reports about Princeton torches. Is it true? BTW, I have 2 Cateye Opticube for my bicycle also. They are fitted with five 1 watt LEDs each but in terms of coverage, still disappointing.

    Andy Ho

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Hey C'mon guys,

    Be a spot. Both my friends are very keen to know you guys and are wishing that we could gather in Pulau Ubin to overnite this Sat. Why Pulau Ubin? Because that place is much darker than mainland Singapore and it is really a good place to play with your flashlights. We can cycle or walk around to explore the island. Please either fill your name up in the previous post or you can PM me to arrange.

    Regards,
    Andy Ho
    Yah, those of you who are still into torch you must try it in a dark place, definitely a lot more more more fun.

    Too bad, I am no longer into this.

    Upz!

  10. #30
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Thanks pcwe68,

    I would love you to join us too. Let's rekindle the fire...

    Andy Ho

  11. #31
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Hi Frisky,

    How are the Princetons fairing? I heard a lot of bad reports about Princeton torches. Is it true? BTW, I have 2 Cateye Opticube for my bicycle also. They are fitted with five 1 watt LEDs each but in terms of coverage, still disappointing.
    Er, the tec 20 and tec 40 have very bad battery contact design, so over time the reliablity is a major issue. Also I just broke the Matrix headlight holder, but that might be because I didn't handle it correctly.

    I believe you are refering to the EL-300? Didn't know those LED are 1 watt models...... Are you refering to the angle of coverage? I heard they are bright, but all the light are focus to a small spot.

  12. #32
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    I believe you are refering to the EL-300? Didn't know those LED are 1 watt models...... Are you refering to the angle of coverage? I heard they are bright, but all the light are focus to a small spot.
    Yes I am referring to the EL-300 model. Honestly, I don't really fancy bicycle lights so I did not bother to do research on them. The 1 watt LEDs are as what was quoted from the shop. I think the 1 watt Surefire KL3 LED head attachment for my M2 Millennium flashlight is brighter.

    Andy Ho

  13. #33
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Yes I am referring to the EL-300 model. Honestly, I don't really fancy bicycle lights so I did not bother to do research on them. The 1 watt LEDs are as what was quoted from the shop. I think the 1 watt Surefire KL3 LED head attachment for my M2 Millennium flashlight is brighter.
    Frankly I doubt those are 1 Watt LED. Consider the battery life for a single 1 watt LED, with 5x 1 watt LED the battery life should be significantly lower, which certainly aren't the case. So I think those are lower power LED.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Hey C'mon guys,

    Be a spot. Both my friends are very keen to know you guys and are wishing that we could gather in Pulau Ubin to overnite this Sat. Why Pulau Ubin? Because that place is much darker than mainland Singapore and it is really a good place to play with your flashlights. We can cycle or walk around to explore the island. Please either fill your name up in the previous post or you can PM me to arrange.

    Regards,
    Andy Ho
    Don't have torch can join or not?
    I'd like to join the gathering only, but my only torch now is a puny torch light. I got it free when buying battery

    Maybe after I see how the torches perform, i'll be interested to buy

  15. #35
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    Be a spot. Both my friends are very keen to know you guys and are wishing that we could gather in Pulau Ubin to overnite this Sat. Why Pulau Ubin? Because that place is much darker than mainland Singapore and it is really a good place to play with your flashlights. We can cycle or walk around to explore the island. Please either fill your name up in the previous post or you can PM me to arrange.
    Can't make it for the ubin overnight thing, but next tuesday meet up sounds like a good idea......

  16. #36

    Default

    I like the Princeton Tec 40s a lot. I put in a piece of aluminium foil to improve battery contact. They have also passed my 'accidentally drop 6 feet onto hard surface' test. Any other Tec 40 fans... where to get replacement/substitute bulbs (different voltages etc..)

    I am annoyed with PT Attitudes as 1 failed on me shortly after using a short while. The other is fine.

    I also have a PT Surge which helps looking for night birds [Finally, a place for my spare rechargeable AA batteries ]

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Got a Cateye EL-400 today to replace my spoilt bicycle flashlight

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default



    From the top,

    1) Energizer Double Barrel 8xAA
    2) Energizer Double Barrel 4xAAA
    3) Cateye EL400


  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Changi
    Posts
    147

    Default any recomendations ?

    Hi Andy
    this discussion you started is really quite an eye-opener, didn't realise those high end ones mentioned here can cost so much.
    anyway, am thinking of getting one that uses Cr123 batts, can last quite a while but has also a fairly good throw - from what i'v read, it seems like the LED ones eg Inova X5T are the type to get but my concern is that there may not be enough throw eg up to 15-20 m away. The scorpion also seems attractive but batts last only about 1 hr,
    so any recommendations, budget is around $80-90 ? Tks.

  20. #40
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    I like the Princeton Tec 40s a lot. I put in a piece of aluminium foil to improve battery contact. They have also passed my 'accidentally drop 6 feet onto hard surface' test. Any other Tec 40 fans... where to get replacement/substitute bulbs (different voltages etc..)

    I am annoyed with PT Attitudes as 1 failed on me shortly after using a short while. The other is fine.

    I also have a PT Surge which helps looking for night birds [Finally, a place for my spare rechargeable AA batteries ]
    Aluminium foil? So you just cut out and put in at the bottom?
    The bulbs are easy, they use standard PR base bulbs, so just take your pick of them. Mustafa has a good collection of PR halogen bulbs. Tec 40 uses 4.8V 0.5A, you can increase the current rating to increase or decrease brightness (and as a result the battery run time). Don't recommend you playing with the Voltage rating though.

    My impression is PT Attitudes aren't as good as Impact II. What's your view on them?

    Now actually looking at the Impact XL, but the similar design with Tec 40 makes me wary.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12347122752 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •