Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182338 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 1231

Thread: Torchlight hobbyist? Anyone??

  1. #241
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    ok

    thanks!

    normal dive torch are like so huge.. unless the really expensive ones..

  2. #242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19
    .

    i have seen a few divers using LED torches and damn are they bright,

    thanks :P
    Are u sure they where using LED torches???
    LEDs are'nt exactly more efficient compared to incandescent, especially when overdriven...
    If they are damn bright... either a whole lot of 5mm leds which would give a diffused flood kinda light, or lux star dive light?!?! i do'nt see the advantage as incandescent can give more light much more easily...
    I got a feeling what you saw where HID lights... damn expensive... BUT damn bright, and it gives white light...

  3. #243
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    Are u sure they where using LED torches???
    LEDs are'nt exactly more efficient compared to incandescent, especially when overdriven...
    If they are damn bright... either a whole lot of 5mm leds which would give a diffused flood kinda light, or lux star dive light?!?! i do'nt see the advantage as incandescent can give more light much more easily...
    I got a feeling what you saw where HID lights... damn expensive... BUT damn bright, and it gives white light...
    my buddy then who dived with me showed me it was a 5 or 6 bulb LED light
    very bright already, well compare to my pathatic toshiba torch

    the HID ones will light up the place.. really bright.. cheapest i think its the UK 100 HID Canon around 400 bucks
    others cost 1k to 2k..

  4. #244
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovells19
    my buddy then who dived with me showed me it was a 5 or 6 bulb LED light
    very bright already, well compare to my pathatic toshiba torch

    the HID ones will light up the place.. really bright.. cheapest i think its the UK 100 HID Canon around 400 bucks
    others cost 1k to 2k..
    I was looking through October issue of National Geographic and there is an article talking about archeologists who goes underwater exploring the Cenotes (pronounced suh_no_tays) where the Yucatan tribes used as a burial ground. The name Cenotes is derived from the Maya word dzonot which means The Abyss. In order to navigate all the many caves and crevices underwater, the divers need lights. There is one picture that I saw showing a diver using a hand held flashlight that is attached via a cable to presumably a battery pack behind his tank. The head itself is very small and hand holdable. And this is the interesting part, the light beam emiting from it is blue and not incandescent. I do not know if it is HMI light powered using a cable optic attached to a main unit near his tank, or is it just an LED light attached to a battery pack in his tank. Something to ponder about.

    Andy Ho

  5. #245
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    I was looking through October issue of National Geographic and there is an article talking about archeologists who goes underwater exploring the Cenotes (pronounced suh_no_tays) where the Yucatan tribes used as a burial ground. The name Cenotes is derived from the Maya word dzonot which means The Abyss. In order to navigate all the many caves and crevices underwater, the divers need lights. There is one picture that I saw showing a diver using a hand held flashlight that is attached via a cable to presumably a battery pack behind his tank. The head itself is very small and hand holdable. And this is the interesting part, the light beam emiting from it is blue and not incandescent. I do not know if it is HMI light powered using a cable optic attached to a main unit near his tank, or is it just an LED light attached to a battery pack in his tank. Something to ponder about.

    Andy Ho
    My previous post should read HID light and not HMI light. Apologise for the typo.

    Andy Ho

  6. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ho
    My previous post should read HID light and not HMI light. Apologise for the typo.

    Andy Ho
    the higher end torches are powered by an external battery pack, it's too heavy to in corporate all into a one piece torch,
    further more those cave divers prefer to have their hands free rather then to be holding on to a huge monsterous torch when negvigating in an overhead environment.

    like it said.. the UK 100 light Canon is one of the cheapest, and it's already very heavy.

    if im not wrong. HID beams are actually blue, like those HID bulbs on the car head light. it's more like a flooding effect.

  7. #247

    Default

    I'm quite sure its HID....
    deep in the water its realli dark, and even if u were using a realli good binned lux star putting out say 150 lumens... it still cannot compare to HID which is more efficient also has long bulb life and puts out lumens in the thousands......

  8. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    South of SG, kitchen window fa
    Posts
    40

    Talking

    Hehe.. just came across this.. power..

    http://webpages.charter.net/kenshiro...hts/mr/mr.html

  9. #249

    Default

    there's another review of it with more pics HERE ... with a whole lot of other reviews to boot....

  10. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Anyone wants to do an M.O. for this HOT BABY?

    http://elektrolumens.com/XM2/XM2.html

    3W flashlight Pre-sale US$39.99

    Seems like the most powerful flashlight...i mean torchlight for under S$100...

  11. #251
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Changi
    Posts
    147

    Default

    yeah, that ELEKTRO LUMENS looks pretty good
    but haven't seen much of it on CandlePowerForums - anyone know if this torch has been discussed / mentioned on CPF ?

  12. #252
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore - Jurong West
    Posts
    807

    Default

    It's not regulated and it's using an optic. Somehow I prefer using a reflector to a optic even if it doesn't throw as well. More efficient. Also I would rather have power wasted in a convertor for constant brightness than in a resistor.

    If you click on the URL=http://www.luxeonstar.com/resistor-calculator.php]webpage[/URL] and key in 5.6 volts for the source voltage, 4.2 volts as the LED forward voltage when it's driven at 1 amp, you'll see that the resistor dissipate 1.3 watts and the LED, 3.9 watts. So that's a equivalent of another 1 watt Luxeon star of light wasted in the resistor. I would rather have it in some constant current buck circuit. But that's just me. What do you guys think?

    Iyou get the light and add a buck convertor like the downboy700 or something similar, it'll be just nice, but I'll most probably want the Pelican M6 reflector anyways.. Guess it just doesn't fit in.

  13. #253
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    I would rather take a light that is regulated anytime than one that is not. A regulated light gives you a constant light output throughout until the battery power flattens. In a non-regulated light, the power dims down gradually. Some LED manufacturers tend to expound on the fact that the LED lights they have is capable of illuminating hundreds of hours. Technically, it is true. But what they never tell you is that the light tends to dim down gradually and sometimes to the extend that it is just not useable.

    Popular flashlight makers like ARC and Surefire are much more conservative and realistic in their output ratings and if you really take a look at their products you will realize that all their LED lights are digitally regulated for a constant maximum output until the batteries are too weak to power before the light switches down to the moon mode. Usually the maximum output last between 1 hr to 2 hr depending on the type and built of light but latest from Surefire is the L6 Lumamax which last up to approx. 2 1/2 hrs with 3 CR123 batts and output to 65 lumens of pure white light. If the KL6 LED head from the L6 Lumamax is transferred to a Surefire M6 body with 6 CR123 batteries, the estimated run time is ranged to about 8 hours of high power output!

    Andy Ho
    My CS Gallery

  14. #254
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Changi
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Did anyone order the ELEKTRO LUMENS XM2 at US$39?
    just realised that the intro price has gone up by US$10 since 2 days ago, to US$49..arghh..just when I was thinking about getting one...missed the trend on CPF about the price increase..talk about missing the boat..
    but may still consider getting it at US$49

  15. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Just to keep this thread alive....

    I found Indian brand torchlights in Sim Lim Square. The most expensive one was $40.00. 1 watt Luxeon! Can it get any cheaper? But the plastic body not very nice looking, in fact it looks cheapo...Check it out...

    http://www.andslite.com/torch%20light.htm

  16. #256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default my new light :D

    my new Inova X5T-HA and Surefire e2e




  17. #257
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore - Jurong West
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Ah... you got yours with the scalloped bezel! How much?

  18. #258
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default

    got it from Sheares Marketing back in January i think

    got the Inova X5T-HA from countycomm

    pm you the price later.

  19. #259
    Member Andy Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Hi Nerd,

    Seems like we all got the scalloped bezel version. Hahaha...

    Buy one more lah...

    Andy Ho

  20. #260
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore - Jurong West
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Nah... the scalloped version doesn't interest me. I'll wait for SF to stock up on the bezels for E2D. THEN...I'll get that one. I only like the bezel, not the tail cap. Haha


Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182338 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •