Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New Guy on the Block!

  1. #1

    Smile New Guy on the Block!

    Hey Guys, i just started taking up photography and have bought my first camera which is a Nikon D60. Currently i'm into aviation photography and also general photography. Would be a pleasure if anyone could help recommend me where i can purchase accessories and stuff needed for my new hobby. Thank you very much!

    Ashley

  2. #2
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Hello...welcome.

    Maybe you can first tell us what accessories are you looking for?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #3

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Well, im currently looking for lenses, a suitable camera bag and the usual equipment needed. I already have a tripod stand but i'm currently looking for the right lenses.

  4. #4

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Hi!!! Welcome to CS!~

  5. #5
    Member sf_kang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
    Hey Guys, i just started taking up photography and have bought my first camera which is a Nikon D60. Currently i'm into aviation photography and also general photography. Would be a pleasure if anyone could help recommend me where i can purchase accessories and stuff needed for my new hobby. Thank you very much!

    Ashley
    Hi, welcome to CS.
    I have been shooting with Nikon equipment for over 30+ years and would like to offer my personal suggestions.

    1) Don't go out and spend your hard earned money on stuff before you really understand your needs. Yes lenses, tripods or monopods, etc. are stuff that we're gonna need but just hold on to your purchases first.
    2) Instead, go check on online forums, youtubes, googles, meet up with fellow shooters, talk, share, ask questions. Go out. Join some shoots and learn how to maximise whatever you already have.
    3) Master your camera settings from both technical and creative aspects.
    4) Try and take better pictures with whatever you have first.
    5) When you've done something like 3K or 5K or 10K on your shutter count, you will get a feel of what you like and don't like, and what you're gonna need.
    6) At that point, you can slowly look at acquiring more 'gadgets'

    Final point: If you rush out to buy purely 'entry level' stuff, you might find that, after a short while, you're 'itching' for more pro quality stuff. If you buy pro quality stuff now, you risk spending lots of $$$ that you eventually might not use. So go easy.

    Feel free to contact me offline if you wish. My email sf_kang@pacific.net.sg

  6. #6
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
    Well, im currently looking for lenses, a suitable camera bag and the usual equipment needed. I already have a tripod stand but i'm currently looking for the right lenses.
    my fav question: what is ur budget?

  7. #7

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Hi there, Welcome to CS!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
    Hey Guys, i just started taking up photography and have bought my first camera which is a Nikon D60. Currently i'm into aviation photography and also general photography. Would be a pleasure if anyone could help recommend me where i can purchase accessories and stuff needed for my new hobby. Thank you very much!

    Ashley
    Woo,

    Another planespotter

    welcome to CS

    Do drop by CS's planespotting thread.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496591

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513109

    Purchasing stuff, I would recommend places like John 3:16, AP(Alan Photo), CP(Cathay Photo). John and AP is located in Funan whereas CP is located in Peninsular Plaza, next to Funan. CP is also located in Marina Sq and AP is also located at Sim Lim Sq.
    If you're looking at 2nd hand stuff, you could try P&G at Adelphi Basement.

    For planespotting i'd recommend you to get a 70-300mm or maybe a 55-250mm lens. If yoo do wanna go into serious planespotting then yoo need a big mama lens like a 300-800mm type

    Cheers,
    Cowz.
    Olympus E-3: ZD 12-60mm F2.8-4 SWD|ZD 40-150mm F3.5-4.5|OM 50mm F1.4
    My Faith is my shield

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Welcome to CS...

    and look for a decent zoom lens for yur hobby.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10
    Member MumSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Temasek Island
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    1st of all, welcome to CS!

    my point is, dont rush to b a BBB virus! Just master well with things u have and get stuff that u need into... continue to read, learn and shoot, and u ll well know of what u need for...

  11. #11

    Post Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Thanks guys for all ur helpful comments! I'll take them all in good stride and take more test shots with my camera before getting anything else!

  12. #12

    Post Re: New Guy on the Block!

    By the way if u guys have anymore advice do feel free to post them here... Thanks!

  13. #13

    Post Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Hey Guys... What's a good camera bag to invest in... one which can hold everything from spare lenses to memory cards? Thanks

  14. #14

    Default Re: New Guy on the Block!

    Quote Originally Posted by sf_kang View Post
    Hi, welcome to CS.
    I have been shooting with Nikon equipment for over 30+ years and would like to offer my personal suggestions.

    1) Don't go out and spend your hard earned money on stuff before you really understand your needs. Yes lenses, tripods or monopods, etc. are stuff that we're gonna need but just hold on to your purchases first.
    2) Instead, go check on online forums, youtubes, googles, meet up with fellow shooters, talk, share, ask questions. Go out. Join some shoots and learn how to maximise whatever you already have.
    3) Master your camera settings from both technical and creative aspects.
    4) Try and take better pictures with whatever you have first.
    5) When you've done something like 3K or 5K or 10K on your shutter count, you will get a feel of what you like and don't like, and what you're gonna need.
    6) At that point, you can slowly look at acquiring more 'gadgets'

    Final point: If you rush out to buy purely 'entry level' stuff, you might find that, after a short while, you're 'itching' for more pro quality stuff. If you buy pro quality stuff now, you risk spending lots of $$$ that you eventually might not use. So go easy.

    Feel free to contact me offline if you wish. My email sf_kang@pacific.net.sg

    Hey Kang

    Are you frm SRMC last time?? If you are this is Riszuan here.. hope u still remember me! didnt know u are into photography.. we should meet up one day to catch up some time..

    thank you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •