Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limitations with my D60 kit

Default Re: Limitations with my D60 kit

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Ah Beng bought D90 with kit lens, he is new in photography,
    one day he ask his girl friend out for portrait taking,
    he was not please with the results, cos the Bokeh wasn't nice on the kit lens.
    so he asks in Clubsnap and somebody recommended 85f1.4,
    he got the 85f1.4, took some portrait of his girlfriend,
    He is very please with the bokeh this lens produce,
    so he post the photos in clubsnap,
    one person ask who is the model and what lens he use,
    Ah Beng replied my girlfriend and shot by my new 85f1.4,
    this person post "OIC, thanks for sharing",
    The thread has one thousand over views and no other comments.

Ah Seng bought D90 with kit lens, he is also new in photography.
    So he go research and understand that is the limitation of the lens,
    at the same time he also found out that there many things to make a good portrait,
    and he start thinking of how to make the portriat nicer with the kit lens,
    by study the composition, the lighting, the posing, the expression, the mood etc...
    after many months of hardwork, he is please the results,
    Ah Seng replied my girlfriend and shot by my kit lens,
    People relied, "Don't bluff!", "Really?" "Are you sure?" "Wow!" "can share with how you shoot this" "I tot kit lens CMI" etc etc....
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS - your kit lens can still do bokeh but its limited, so far i seen most kit lens have a focusing range of approx 0.5m - 3m. to create bokeh effect

1. open to max aperture (kit lens mostly F3.5)
    2. move towards your subject, make sure he/she is not more than 2.5m away from u (bokeh effect is easier to achieve when your subject is within the boundary of your lens focusing limit)
    3. get your subject to put some distance between him/her and the background

note. focusing limit = min dist lens can focus to the max dist before the infinity point (kits lens usually dont have the range marking on the lens, other lens have the distance marking on them)
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Ah Beng bought D90 with kit lens, he is new in photography,
    so he asks in Clubsnap and somebody recommended 85f1.4,
    he got the 85f1.4, took some portrait of his girlfriend,
    He is very please with the bokeh this lens produce,
    Ah Beng replied my girlfriend and shot by my new 85f1.4,
    this person post "OIC, thanks for sharing",
    The thread has one thousand over views and no other comments.

Ah Seng bought D90 with kit lens, he is also new in photography.
    So he go research and understand that is the limitation of the lens,
    at the same time he also found out that there many things to make a good portrait,
    and he start thinking of how to make the portriat nicer with the kit lens,
    by study the composition, the lighting, the posing, the expression, the mood etc...
    after many months of hardwork, he is please the results,
    Ah Seng replied my girlfriend and shot by my kit lens,
    People relied, "Don't bluff!", "Really?" "Are you sure?" "Wow!" "can share with how you shoot this" "I tot kit lens CMI" etc etc....

I'm a cow with a camera

A picture tells a thousand words. Maybe you can view this link to see the diff lenses results in diff photos http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Advice...b/?&R=EPI-2653 and http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Advice...ts/?&R=EPI-886

Happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    TS - your kit lens can still do bokeh but its limited, so far i seen most kit lens have a focusing range of approx 0.5m - 3m. to create bokeh effect

1. open to max aperture (kit lens mostly F3.5)
    2. move towards your subject, make sure he/she is not more than 2.5m away from u (bokeh effect is easier to achieve when your subject is within the boundary of your lens focusing limit)
    3. get your subject to put some distance between him/her and the background

note. focusing limit = min dist lens can focus to the max dist before the infinity point (kits lens usually dont have the range marking on the lens, other lens have the distance marking on them)
    Some problems here... You should not be at the wide range of your lens, but at the max. tele (55mm). other than that, using widest aperture, maximize distance to background, etc, still applies.

Please also note that you cannot "do" bokeh. He will be able to achieve out-of-focus background, allowing for isolation of the subject, but whether or not the bokeh will be nice is another matter.

Please remember, bokeh IS NOT a verb. It's a noun, and describes the *quality* of the out-of-focus area.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Some problems here... You should not be at the wide range of your lens, but at the max. tele (55mm). other than that, using widest aperture, maximize distance to background, etc, still applies.

Please also note that you cannot "do" bokeh. He will be able to achieve out-of-focus background, allowing for isolation of the subject, but whether or not the bokeh will be nice is another matter.

Please remember, bokeh IS NOT a verb. It's a noun, and describes the *quality* of the out-of-focus area.
    LOL noted

well my advise to use the wider angle is cos the kit lense its focusing range is very short, your subject standing 1.5-2m from u and u shoot at 55mm, TS most prob alway end up with head shots only.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

LOL noted

well my advise to use the wider angle is cos the kit lense its focusing range is very short, your subject standing 1.5-2m from u and u shoot at 55mm, TS most prob alway end up with head shots only.
    Switching to wide angle actually increases the DOF, thus reducing the OOF areas. Either the TS only goes for half-body shots, or stands further away from the subject if he wants to blur out the background.
    Alpha

LOL noted

Why not just move back? How does using a wider lens help achieve a shallower DoF?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12