Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did you kena the biggest 'chop-carrot' scenario?

Default Re: Where did you kena the biggest 'chop-carrot' scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    Ok my experience was when i wanted to purchase my Flipside 200. Needless to say headed down to one of my favourite lowepro hunting ground, CP.

Supercrowded, looked around and found out it was selling at $117, was alittle bit put off by the price because i'm sure the price i researched was lesser then $100.

Nevertheless i just walk to the small shop opp CP, saw the Flipside 200, gave it a go, turned out that they were selling @ $99 no catch whatsoever.

Picked it up, paid and left like a happy kid who got his transformer toy at last.

Nearly Carrot-ed.

Not placing CP as a "Chop" shop, but was disappointed that a reputable shop had a higher price tag. Maybe because they had a crowd whom places their reputation above money and cents? "Shrugs"
    Fully agreed, unless no other alternative. Perhaps it could also due to the sale's quota expected from the staff or it could be the company's mark up profit policy. Read the receipt in details and you will get an idea.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 10th May 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    CP price is usually 1/2 of what you see on the price tag
    Not for all cases

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Go befriend someone working at alan or cathay, for all you know, they might get you items at staff discount (almost close to the cost price). Did it once with a friend of mine (no longer working there) and saved about $200.
    maybe that explains why he is no longer working there?

Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    maybe that explains why he is no longer working there?
    Oh come on, he sacked the boss.

Might not have to be AP or CP, if you have true friends (who are willing to help you out) working in Challenger, Courts, Havery Norman etc. etc. I'm sure that purchasing items at discounted staff-price is a part of their welfare benefits. Just don't do it too many times.

Some of the lenses and bodies have a difference of hundreds of dollars between the cost price and selling price, the amount you can save with even 1 purchase is jaw dropping.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

lol i need to find such a friend. would like to hoot a 70-200f4l is. if can get at 1k is song

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Not for all cases
    for lowepro products i meant..

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    for lowepro products i meant..
    Few weeks ago I went to CP (marina) and asked for best price for a Lowepro bag. The salesman (Indian fellow) flipped to look at the price tag and quoted me the exact same price as indicated. I repeated his quote with a look. He replied "now prices are as what you see on the price tag". I just walked away.
    Last edited by HeiPiGu; 11th May 2009 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    lol i need to find such a friend. would like to hoot a 70-200f4l is. if can get at 1k is song
    better to get a friend who works in a developer company and get a great discount out of that condo, and with that amount of saving, you can buy all photo-equipments to your heart's delight.

i was once looking for a remote release for a d90. happen to be around orchard so i asked around, even though i know that i'm not going to buy from them, prices definitely much higher than usual. but i asked anyway, just curious, and i thought remote release shouldn't be too expensive. there's one shop in lucky plaza, ground floor, opposite mcdonalds. they display various lenses and bodies on the front. i asked for the item, and they quoted $70. haha, i thought, another one. eventually offered $65, but i just walked away after that.

then went to cathay and bought it for $33.

double the price leh..

now i know the shop name

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    i was once looking for a remote release for a d90. happen to be around orchard so i asked around, even though i know that i'm not going to buy from them, prices definitely much higher than usual. but i asked anyway, just curious, and i thought remote release shouldn't be too expensive. there's one shop in lucky plaza, ground floor, opposite mcdonalds. they display various lenses and bodies on the front. i asked for the item, and they quoted $70. haha, i thought, another one. eventually offered $65, but i just walked away after that.

then went to cathay and bought it for $33.

double the price leh..

now i know the shop name

Actually, IMHO CP price is not that competitive too. Try OP, MS, Alan, TK or John. My preference is MS and OP. But, at TK you may pick up some surprise bargains. I picked up one of my lenses at TK at $300 less than the price that MS and CP quoted me, and I am talking about a near 35% discount. Whew!
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Actually, IMHO CP price is not that competitive too. Try OP, MS, Alan, TK or John. My preference is MS and OP. But, at TK you may pick up some surprise bargains. I picked up one of my lenses at TK at $300 less than the price that MS and CP quoted me, and I am talking about a near 35% discount. Whew!
    quite true nowadays. MS has very good bargains, and likewise TK. if you're looking for tripods, try TK. i was quite surprised by their prices, for tripods at least. but from your experience, seems to be the same for lenses, but perhaps yours is the high-end one

i bought a "high capacity" BP511 battery for $90 when i bought my first dSLR back in 2003. Not sure if it was a "chop" case, but normal capacity 3rd party batts go about $20-$30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12