Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wearing specs = disadvantage?

Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    That doesn't explain anything...what situations do you find yourself using MF? Is it necessary? I know some newbies like to use MF just 'cause they now can with a SLR, but it's really just trying to be fancy instead of using the tools that you have already been presented with to get the best picture, in this case, autofocus.
    yes, I AM a newbie. but not because it is fancy that I can use MF because it is a DSLR. but there are a few reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Sometimes, when it is quite dark, the AF just won't work (and shutter button won't function). With MF, at least can try, even if it is high chances of hit and miss.
    even the AF-Assist light is on. the auto-focusing light thingy. (i dunno the name as im still a newbie, haven really read up the manual and stuff)

i trust MF more than AF because AF need a certain time for it to focus. by then, many of the precious moment which is don't last long and i will miss it.

my camera aren't as high-ended as yours with many AF points. so sometimes i want to focus a subject on a specific place, the AF just won't work as well. i know some cameras have many AF points like D80, D90 and stuff. i have tried it and i know the AF works great. just that i am using D60 now, i cant do much with the AF.

Quote Originally Posted by benchia001 View Post
    wearing specs will not cause ur pics will be blur. but there are some tips for u..

1) your imaging sensor could be dirty, clean it
    2) ur lens could be dirty
    3) u are using a poor quality filter in the front that causes reflection ( i had a poor quality 1 and all my pictures look blur including in the viewfinder..

but if u say whn u look into the view finder, the pic is clear,but the pic when taken aint clear, most likely ur imaging sensor is dirty. u have to lift up the mirror to clean the sensor. but i am not a professional so look up the net for some sensor cleaning guides
    Sensor dirt will not cause softness.

Quote Originally Posted by junhua90 View Post
    yes, I AM a newbie. but not because it is fancy that I can use MF because it is a DSLR. but there are a few reasons.

even the AF-Assist light is on. the auto-focusing light thingy. (i dunno the name as im still a newbie, haven really read up the manual and stuff)

i trust MF more than AF because AF need a certain time for it to focus. by then, many of the precious moment which is don't last long and i will miss it.

my camera aren't as high-ended as yours with many AF points. so sometimes i want to focus a subject on a specific place, the AF just won't work as well. i know some cameras have many AF points like D80, D90 and stuff. i have tried it and i know the AF works great. just that i am using D60 now, i cant do much with the AF.
    I don't think it is the D60 that is limiting you. It may be your lens that is unable to focus fast enough, or you just need to understand your AF system. I gather that maybe you are letting the camera select which AF point to focus to, and perhaps you are put in situations where there is insufficient contrast to get a good AF lock.

No AF system is instantaneous, but having a good understanding of your AF system will beat using MF any day.

When it comes to shooting fleeting moments, honestly, I don't see how using MF on a camera not optimised for MF is advantageous to using AF. In the past, people use MF because they had no choice. Now with AF technology made easy, all you need to do is have a good understanding of how it works.

Some tips include specifying which AF point to use, and focusing on an area with sufficient degree of contrast. If you select which AF point you intend to use, the camera can then focus (no pun intended) on ensuring that the detail at that point of focus is rendered in focus. Compare this to letting the camera choose from all 3 focus points, and you realise how this step of manually selecting your AF point can speed up the process a fair bit.

Also, choose an area that has enough detail for the camera to detect that there is contrast. AF works by detecting whether a contrasty area is "in focus", so if there isn't enough contrast, the camera won't be able to tell whether a subject is in focus or not.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Sensor dirt will not cause softness.

I don't think it is the D60 that is limiting you. It may be your lens that is unable to focus fast enough, or you just need to understand your AF system. I gather that maybe you are letting the camera select which AF point to focus to, and perhaps you are put in situations where there is insufficient contrast to get a good AF lock.

No AF system is instantaneous, but having a good understanding of your AF system will beat using MF any day.

When it comes to shooting fleeting moments, honestly, I don't see how using MF on a camera not optimised for MF is advantageous to using AF. In the past, people use MF because they had no choice. Now with AF technology made easy, all you need to do is have a good understanding of how it works.

Some tips include specifying which AF point to use, and focusing on an area with sufficient degree of contrast. If you select which AF point you intend to use, the camera can then focus (no pun intended) on ensuring that the detail at that point of focus is rendered in focus. Compare this to letting the camera choose from all 3 focus points, and you realise how this step of manually selecting your AF point can speed up the process a fair bit.

Also, choose an area that has enough detail for the camera to detect that there is contrast. AF works by detecting whether a contrasty area is "in focus", so if there isn't enough contrast, the camera won't be able to tell whether a subject is in focus or not.
    i don't think you understood me. is not that AF is limiting me. but the only 3 AF points available to me that is limiting me. i cant focus as specifically as where i wanted with only 3 AF points

Actually, many PG like to use just the one focus point at the center, and they use the "Pre-Focus & compose" method.

i don't think you understood me. is not that AF is limiting me. but the only 3 AF points available to me that is limiting me. i cant focus as specifically as where i wanted with only 3 AF points

Blog Entries

half press the shutter button to focus (don't let go)
    then re frame your composition

i believe that this is in the user manual

AF Assist light can be IR or normal flash fired at the subject for illumination to help the camera lock focus. AF confirmation indicator light is the little red dot that lights up in the VF when the camera locked focus.

Usually AF is faster then MF, unless the focus is fixed (e.g. long distance shot with sufficient DOF such that focus adjustment is not necessary). Few pple can turn the focus ring faster and at the same time more precisely than the electromechanics usually.

Actually, many PG like to use just the one focus point at the center, and they use the "Pre-Focus & compose" method.
    "pre-focus and compose"? what does it mean? do you mean like let it AF first then MF shots?

i dunno ><

Few pple can turn the focus ring faster and at the same time more precisely than the electromechanics usually.
    hope one day I can do that. i have been using MF since i first get my first DSLR and i hope i can achieve that.

I don't like specs only because I can't brace the eyecup against my brow (otherwise specs get all greasy ...). Much prefer contacts instead.
    D90 | 16-85mmVR | 70-300mmVR | AF-S 50mm 1.4

"pre-focus and compose"? what does it mean? do you mean like let it AF first then MF shots?

i dunno ><
    It means you use the center point to focus on your subject, and while holding the half press on your shutter release button, move your camera to recompose to your intended framing.

For instance you want your subject on your left third. You can focus on your subject with the center AF point (which usually is the fastest and most sensitive) then move your camera to the right to reposition your subject to the left third then fire off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123