Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: wearing specs = disadvantage?

  1. #21

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    How old are you? Once you are nearing 40s, long sightedness sets in and you need the diopter to compensate. I have a colleague whose sister, in her early 30s, suffering from long sightedness.
    Do I need to worry? I find a -1 diopter more comfortable than a 0 setting even with glasses on so I've set up all my cameras this way. Certainly not anywhere near my 40's. Images are turning out fine though

  2. #22

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I have a differing opinion. People who don't wear glasses doesn't mean they eyesight is perfect, it means that the gap in degree does not affect their visual interpretation but does not mean they see clearly. In fact a person with new glasses see clearer since it is optimized.

    I agree, glasses will not interfere with the camera unless the degree is really out.

    Side track a bit, when your spectacle degree no longer fluctuates yearly anymore, switch to high quality eye lense. There are difference in brightness, clarity with good spectacle lense.
    you mean the quailty of my glasses lense plays a part too?

  3. #23

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I have a differing opinion. People who don't wear glasses doesn't mean they eyesight is perfect, it means that the gap in degree does not affect their visual interpretation but does not mean they see clearly. In fact a person with new glasses see clearer since it is optimized.

    I agree, glasses will not interfere with the camera unless the degree is really out.

    Side track a bit, when your spectacle degree no longer fluctuates yearly anymore, switch to high quality eye lense. There are difference in brightness, clarity with good spectacle lense.
    People who can don't wear glasses and eyesight is slightly NOT perfect shall consider very minor Myopic(short sight)/hypermetropia (long sight)/presbyopia (age-related accomodative loss)/etc.

    For Myopic (short sight), you need concave glass to correct this. Each individual eyesight (left or right eye) has it's own line of axis of view and is easy shift up/down or sideway(left/right) by the concave glass when look thru the space/eyepiece/view finder(also glass). <Glasses related:> This can give incorrect images depending on what portion of the glasses you are looking through, i.e. it might look like the sharpest image but in actually it isn't.

    The very expensive glass (gradient degree type): top glass (highest degree) middle portion glass(almost corrected degree) bottom(lowest degree) may help.


    I disagree: Glasses will interfere with the camera. Don't forget the view of seeing the object is difference from those without wearing spec.

  4. #24

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    No effect towards photography but yes to the eyes, which is why I side track the topic for interest sake.

    High quality spectacle optics like top quality plastic for example offer good clarity, light/thin, scratch resistance and lesser discoloration. Besides view quality, aesthetic view improves there is little distortion when people look your eyes. Even progressive lens distortion is not visible from outside.

    Those who never used high spectacle optics before will fear using shirt to clean for fear of scratches or chipped when dropped. While others are heavy that leaves a deep impression on the nose bridge.

    Quote Originally Posted by junhua90 View Post
    you mean the quailty of my glasses lense plays a part too?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Good Luck...
    Thanks...Back in one piece liao in just 2 hours this morning

    For a long time....this is the best thing I have done to myself...I am free from spectacle now, and I can see far sight clearly without aid.....road sign....car no.plate....Text on TV etc....though the whole picture is is still in dreamy effect now...it should improve over days.....To me this is the best pair of lens that I could own

  6. #26

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Thanks...Back in one piece liao in just 2 hours this morning
    For a long time....this is the best thing I have done to myself...I am free from spectacle now, and I can see far sight clearly without aid
    Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeropoint View Post
    The very expensive glass (gradient degree type): top glass (highest degree) middle portion glass(almost corrected degree) bottom(lowest degree) may help.
    I'm wearing a bifocal, the gradient type. Yeah, sometimes I had problems whether which portion I should choose!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore, East Sider
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    where you doing your lasik? intralase or what? offer a lil details please =D would prove useful to over half the sg populace
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Er, question to the Threadstarter: why are you using MF? Is AF not available to you?

  9. #29

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!)


    I'm wearing a bifocal, the gradient type. Yeah, sometimes I had problems whether which portion I should choose!
    Ok, I'm going OT but...

    If presbyopia (lo fa- not pin ying, but u know what I mean) has set in, try a cataract/ clear lens extraction operation. It can do the same job. Actually it can be better, because
    1) if u have lasik now, give it 5-15 years and you might need the cataract surgery anyway)
    2) multifocal lenses can correct for presbyopia too (lasik cannot)- though there are other drawbacks.

    Of course a cataract operation has higher and more serious risks.

    The main issue with even successful lasik surgery is that drs still cannot accurate gauge which lens implant to put in when cataract surgery is needed 20-30 years later. But if your cornea has sufficient depth then they can always lift the flap and do a re-treatment

    Me? I'm happy with contact lenses for now. In fact I went back to contacts when I took up photography

  10. #30

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Do I need to worry? I find a -1 diopter more comfortable than a 0 setting even with glasses on so I've set up all my cameras this way. Certainly not anywhere near my 40's. Images are turning out fine though
    Good for you. The only problem I find with taking pics with glasses is that there is a larger space between eyeball and viewfinder. So, the viewfinder looks smaller.

    OT a little - To others considering Lasik - I am in my early 40s. My left eye degree actually improved from -425 to -375. I reduced my contact lens prescription further to -350 to enable reading without a need for reading glasses. If I had done lasik in my 30s, my eye would have been over-corrected.

  11. #31

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    I am very impressed. Here we talk about glasses and lasik and at the bottom the advertisment of eyewear and lasik.

    Is the banner done manually or by picked by program text search.

  12. #32

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Er, question to the Threadstarter: why are you using MF? Is AF not available to you?
    sometimes MF is just better than AF.

  13. #33

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I am very impressed. Here we talk about glasses and lasik and at the bottom the advertisment of eyewear and lasik.

    Is the banner done manually or by picked by program text search.
    noticed.. i think is done by text search bah... so i think is my glasses need some updating or maybe i should get a pair of contacts...

  14. #34

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by junhua90 View Post
    sometimes MF is just better than AF.
    There might be a simpler solution - change your focusing screen.

    I find that my 'hit rate' with the split-screen and microprism collar is very high - I have a number of older cameras with that kind, and I'm working with fast primes such as 35/2.0's, 28/2.8 and 45/2.8's (the last one is a med format).

    I would prefer not to use MF on my AF cameras since they don't have that screen.. I find that the matte screens are not as precise as the split/prism screens for MF. Let the AF do its job.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by junhua90 View Post
    sometimes MF is just better than AF.
    That doesn't explain anything...what situations do you find yourself using MF? Is it necessary? I know some newbies like to use MF just 'cause they now can with a SLR, but it's really just trying to be fancy instead of using the tools that you have already been presented with to get the best picture, in this case, autofocus.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Sometimes, when it is quite dark, the AF just won't work (and shutter button won't function). With MF, at least can try, even if it is high chances of hit and miss.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    That doesn't explain anything...what situations do you find yourself using MF? Is it necessary? I know some newbies like to use MF just 'cause they now can with a SLR, but it's really just trying to be fancy instead of using the tools that you have already been presented with to get the best picture, in this case, autofocus.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!) !
    Lasik is not a silver bullet to cure eye problem, though it's very safe, it is still an op so it does carries certain degree of risk....also don't expect to get eagle eye after the op, as of todays no clinic here can guarantee that.....so one have to study the pros and cons and be prepared for worst case scenario....there can be also side effect that occur on different individual

    As for me, I am happy to be able to go specs free on my daily tasks now
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 11th May 2009 at 11:38 AM.

  18. #38

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    no problem with the adjustment too...

  19. #39

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    I rely on the AF most of the time. So no problem for me. The problem with glasses is that after shooting, the glasses get dirty because of the contact with the rubber, and the glasses contact the eye lashes, etc... so must clean.

  20. #40

    Default Re: wearing specs = disadvantage?

    wearing specs will not cause ur pics will be blur. but there are some tips for u..

    1) your imaging sensor could be dirty, clean it
    2) ur lens could be dirty
    3) u are using a poor quality filter in the front that causes reflection ( i had a poor quality 1 and all my pictures look blur including in the viewfinder..

    but if u say whn u look into the view finder, the pic is clear,but the pic when taken aint clear, most likely ur imaging sensor is dirty. u have to lift up the mirror to clean the sensor. but i am not a professional so look up the net for some sensor cleaning guides

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •