Thread: Newbie Upgrading Questions

Default Newbie Upgrading Questions

Have been playing around with my D60 for a while and am thinking of upgrading. Currently my plan is to get a 2nd D80 body with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

1. would a D80 be an advisable next step to take or should I hunt for a 2nd hand D90 instead?

2. whats the market price for a 2nd D80 body as I might have a friend who is willing to let his go but we both have no idea whats the market price for it.

3. should I get the kit lens as well as my friend's is the D80 kit but he doesn't mind selling me without the lens as he can use it with another body.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Newbie Upgrading Questions

I was having a look at the second hand forums here at ClubSNAP a week or two ago and I don't think I found a single D90 for sale. Seems that people don't want to let go of them

Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    I was having a look at the second hand forums here at ClubSNAP a week or two ago and I don't think I found a single D90 for sale. Seems that people don't want to let go of them
    It's too new. Everyone just bought them.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It's too new. Everyone just bought them.
    Yep. And what would they upgrade to? The D300? It's due for replacement pretty soon I think.

$800 for D80 kit ok? No warranty but I trust my friend to keep the camera in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth83 View Post
    Have been playing around with my D60 for a while and am thinking of upgrading. Currently my plan is to get a 2nd D80 body with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

1. would a D80 be an advisable next step to take or should I hunt for a 2nd hand D90 instead?

2. whats the market price for a 2nd D80 body as I might have a friend who is willing to let his go but we both have no idea whats the market price for it.

3. should I get the kit lens as well as my friend's is the D80 kit but he doesn't mind selling me without the lens as he can use it with another body.

Thanks in advance
    Sounds like a good idea... and since you're planning on the 17-50 already, you can leave the kit lens out.

Btw, do you have an external flash? Do plan for one.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea... and since you're planning on the 17-50 already, you can leave the kit lens out.

Yup I have the SB600. Dun think I will upgrade that for a while more.

In that case, you're kinda set, until you want to upgrade the zoom lens to a f2.8 one.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post

Second that,

D80 is a great cam. pretty much almost of a D90 w/o the video. Other than above mentioned, if you do long range photography like birding. Then i suppose it's pretty much set.

Cowz.
    Olympus E-3: ZD 12-60mm F2.8-4 SWD|ZD 40-150mm F3.5-4.5|OM 50mm F1.4
    My Faith is my shield

thinking of upgrading and still considered newbie?