Thread: graduated density filter

Default graduated density filter

I was recommended by a fellow clubsnapper to use a graduated density filter for landscape shots when the sky is too bright. Which company produces this kind of filters? i've checked the hoya catalogue and they only have ND filters (Same thing?) while the cokin ones have both ND and graduated ND filters.
    Don't intend to get cokin as it would involve getting a new set of stuff.

Hi Evilmerlin,

I've not seen hoya having grad ND filters so far .

But for cokin , there are .. but it will require u to purchase an adaptor if your lens diameter is > 58 mm ( I think )

Thats the thing see...don't really want to get another set of filters..quite ex here in UK...72mm HOYA UV filter gonna cost me a bomb already...

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    I was recommended by a fellow clubsnapper to use a graduated density filter for landscape shots when the sky is too bright. Which company produces this kind of filters? i've checked the hoya catalogue and they only have ND filters (Same thing?) while the cokin ones have both ND and graduated ND filters.
    Don't intend to get cokin as it would involve getting a new set of stuff.
    The main players in the ND Grad world:

Cokin (France) - Cheap and cheeful
    Lee Filters (UK) - Expensive to horrifically expensive
    Tiffen (USA) - moderate to horribly expensive (most are horribly expensive cine camera filters)
    SinghRay (USA) - Expensive to expensive plus depending on size and type.
    Other players who've produced ND grads include Ambico etc.

Hoya do 'Half Grads' which are a half ND and half clear filter. While not as effective as a hard or soft transition ND grad they can be workable for landscapes providing the horizon is fairly flat.

In all honesty if you don't want to shell out around 1000+ USD for a set of SinghRays (6 filters plus Lee holder and adaptors, shade etc) then your next best bet is a couple of Cokin ND's and a suitable holder. The Cokin filters are fairly light and cheap.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Adventage of using Graduated ND - Panel type

Hiee....

There are practially two type of ND grad....screw on and panel type (like Cokin)...

The advantage of the Panel type...it usually works with a holder ....(a do use it hand held at times...) and you can adjust the "parting line" to ND off the area of choice. Therefore, for shots like this...

The parting line is very close to the bottom. And the following shot has the parting line close to the top....

With a screw on type which normally have centre parting line , the bove type of photos will not be achieveable.....as the parting line is fixed in the centre....

SO ....i suggest you to use a panel type like cokin.....there sre other brands too
    Handholding my not be agreat idea as if the filter is not square(parallel) to your
    lens....in SUn shots....you may get ghosting....well..its a trial and error and practice makes perfect.....

Hope this tips will help you make up you rmind...

regards,
    me

Yes, in fact what I've searched on the web regarding 'Cokin' filters...they finally came out with a new series of Z-PRO filters(4" by 6") around 10cm by 15cm, ain't that a good news. Another thing is that they also have a new type of filter holders for your wide-angle lens too. Too bad that it's not in Singapore yet...

Right, thanks for the help guys!

Now to see if my CP5700 can take on Cokin filters in the first place...

Quick question on these Cokin filters

You screw them on to the filter mount and they can be rotated like a circular polariser or are they in a fixed orientation?

Default okay evil....here is some pointers

Hope this helps to explain....

The holder can hold up to 3 filters...one shot...

regards,
    Sulhan