Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

  1. #1

    Default looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    hi, not sure if this is wat it is called. just bought a full hd tv... and to enjoy the full hd quality, i must have the hdmi cable, but i'm using the older version of the starhub box (grey color), which does not have the hdmi port. so i was advise by the sales exc to use the typical ''red, yellow, white'' component cable, but it is a hdmi cable.

    this is the typical hdmi cable...
    http://www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

    the cable dat the sales exc show me is something like this
    http://yuloland.com/images/cable-composite.jpg
    but each wire has got 3 wire in it, making it very thick, definitely not the normal kind of component cable... but it's very expensive lor, i was quoted $180 after discount, actual was $255.

    any bro here is using this type of hdmi component cable? where to get the cheaper version?
    and izit called ''hdmi component cable'' in the 1st place... i tried searching, but couldn't find a pic on it... please help...

  2. #2

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    You're talking about a hybrid of the RCA as well as HDMI right? 1 end got the 3 (red, yellow, white) cables while the other end is the HDMI input? Don't buy yet. Don't know much about such cables. But i know for sure that no HDMI cable is worth $180. Lucky you din buy on the spot. If not become another carrot head.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Don't think the old set top box supports HD. You may need to get the HD box instead. MIO box works fine though. Been enjoying HD 5

  4. #4

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    You're talking about a hybrid of the RCA as well as HDMI right? 1 end got the 3 (red, yellow, white) cables while the other end is the HDMI input? Don't buy yet. Don't know much about such cables. But i know for sure that no HDMI cable is worth $180. Lucky you din buy on the spot. If not become another carrot head.

    nope, is actually both end oso 3 cable, and in each cable, there's 3 more cable, so it's actually very thick... it's like a advance version of a component cable... but it's meant for full hd tv.

  5. #5

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by weevil84 View Post
    Don't think the old set top box supports HD. You may need to get the HD box instead. MIO box works fine though. Been enjoying HD 5
    the old set top doesn't have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port.... so this cable is actually the hdmi cable meant for this type of set top

  6. #6
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    The 3 plug cable is known as a Composite Cable. (Yellow, Red and White colour)

    Component Cables have 5 plugs. (Blue, Red, Green, Red and White colour)

    For cheap HDMI cables, try playasia.com. About $10 inclusive shipping. U can research Wiki for the cable type for more info.
    Last edited by afbug; 8th May 2009 at 01:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    the old set top doesn't have the hdmi port, oni the ''red, yellow, white'' port.... so this cable is actually the hdmi cable meant for this type of set top
    The standard set-top boxes only support composite connections. Hubstation has component connections and only the HD boxes have HDMI connections. So if u want HDMI, u have to upgrade to a HD box.
    Last edited by afbug; 8th May 2009 at 01:35 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    The standard set-top boxes only support composite connections. Hubstation has component connections and only the HD boxes have HDMI connections. So if u want HDMI, u have to upgrade to a HD box.

    actually there is... cos the sales exc show me... but it's costly, at $180... i'm just thinking if there is a cheaper version... or else i'll have to up grade my box liao...

  9. #9

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Bro

    There is NO component to HDMI cable. None of the pics show such a cable.

    A decent component cable can be had for < $100 for a 1m length, and I am talking videophile quality.

    HDMI is digital, component is analogue.

    See this forum:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fo...ysprune=&f=226

    And look up the threads on HDMI and Starhub STB.

    Your sales person is having you on.



    Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    actually there is... cos the sales exc show me... but it's costly, at $180... i'm just thinking if there is a cheaper version... or else i'll have to up grade my box liao...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  10. #10
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    You can also try Deal Extreme (www.dealextreme.com). It's a site in HK which has free shipping.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Component, hdmi, composite are different stuff.

    Component 3 wire, green red blue are all for video signal
    Composite 3 wire, yellow for video, red white for audio
    Hdmi digital 1 cable for audio & video

    If u need to have both end different you'll need a convertor
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #12

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Monoprice sells a lot of cables. I got some cheap hdmi cables when ordering some other stuff from there. They provided good fast service. http://www.monoprice.com

    Note, I used vpost to ship over.

  13. #13

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Bro

    There is NO component to HDMI cable. None of the pics show such a cable.

    A decent component cable can be had for < $100 for a 1m length, and I am talking videophile quality.

    HDMI is digital, component is analogue.

    See this forum:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fo...ysprune=&f=226

    And look up the threads on HDMI and Starhub STB.

    Your sales person is having you on.
    bro... trust me.... she do a demo using the normal and the hdmi composite cable to show me the difference...dat's y i oso abit stunned... is as good as a hdmi cable... btw the store is ''Audio House''... dat's y i'm checking to see if any bro here using this combi for their set

  14. #14

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    tks all for the tips... i think i just go down to SLS to look see if they carry any of those weird wires... worst case scenario is to upgrade box liao...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    For cables, u should go Sim Lim Tower, not Sim Lim Square.

  16. #16

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Let me repeat this:

    There is NO SUCH THING as a HDMI Component cable.

    There are:
    Composite cables
    Component cables
    & HDMI cables.

    Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    bro... trust me.... she do a demo using the normal and the hdmi composite cable to show me the difference...dat's y i oso abit stunned... is as good as a hdmi cable... btw the store is ''Audio House''... dat's y i'm checking to see if any bro here using this combi for their set
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Let me repeat this:

    There is NO SUCH THING as a HDMI Component cable.

    There are:
    Composite cables
    Component cables
    & HDMI cables.
    maybe got leh... the middle got a convertor bah... might have missed that out... lol...

    dun judge it too fast...

    btw, i think one of the most alarming discovery is he said its not component, and composite instead... and picture quality of Full HD... think that one enuff to justify the cost liao... i wan 1 to plug from my comp to the tv liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Hmmmm... Its as if saying a VCD player can give HD quality just by using a better or special cable in my opinion. Kinda far fetched.

  19. #19

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Quote Originally Posted by fongi View Post
    hi, not sure if this is wat it is called. just bought a full hd tv... and to enjoy the full hd quality, i must have the hdmi cable, but i'm using the older version of the starhub box (grey color), which does not have the hdmi port. so i was advise by the sales exc to use the typical ''red, yellow, white'' component cable, but it is a hdmi cable.

    this is the typical hdmi cable...
    http://www.konecable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

    the cable dat the sales exc show me is something like this
    http://yuloland.com/images/cable-composite.jpg
    but each wire has got 3 wire in it, making it very thick, definitely not the normal kind of component cable... but it's very expensive lor, i was quoted $180 after discount, actual was $255.

    any bro here is using this type of hdmi component cable? where to get the cheaper version?
    and izit called ''hdmi component cable'' in the 1st place... i tried searching, but couldn't find a pic on it... please help...
    The component cables (green, blue, red) usually cost $10-$20 at your local hardware shops. The gold plated version should cost more. These cables produce slightly improved IQ but it's not a big improvement though compared to normal AV cable (yellow).
    Last edited by lichtleiter; 8th May 2009 at 03:56 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: looking for cheap hdmi component cable

    Not affiliated:
    - Original Sony HDMI, goldplated $30 (http://www.qisahn.com/sony-playstati...lc-hd20p-p-347)
    - MS HDMI, gold plated $20 (http://www.qisahn.com/sony-playstati...i-cable-p-1029)
    - Normal HDMI, gold plated $10 (http://www.qisahn.com/sony-playstati...mi-cable-p-420)

    But these are male to male HDMI cables

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •