Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Which UV filter to get?

  1. #21
    Member hongjone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Personally, I only use Nikon NC for protection. Of couse, I have a Hoya CPL too. =)
    Had previously used a cheaper Hoya UV, but it's harder to clean and don't know why the coating started to have some problem.
    So I switched to Nikon. Now having it for 4 years. Still in perfect condition.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Hi,

    I had 2 67mm filter
    1 is Hoya UV, another is Tokina UV

    wondering which is better?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    Hi,

    I had 2 67mm filter
    1 is Hoya UV, another is Tokina UV

    wondering which is better?
    Frankly speaking,

    both Hoya and Tokina filters are now all manufactured by Hoya. So i would suppose they're the same.

    Cowz.
    Olympus E-3: ZD 12-60mm F2.8-4 SWD|ZD 40-150mm F3.5-4.5|OM 50mm F1.4
    My Faith is my shield

  4. #24
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    I had 2 67mm filter
    1 is Hoya UV, another is Tokina UV
    wondering which is better?
    Better in what? Define the conditions, otherwise you can't compare. For parameters relevant for photography you could google for reviews.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Better in what? Define the conditions, otherwise you can't compare. For parameters relevant for photography you could google for reviews.
    I bought a 2nd hand lens still come with new Tokina UV.
    At the same time, I had a existing Hoya UV filter (no scratches).

    so just wondering should I use the new filter or the existing old filter
    Last edited by therat; 22nd July 2009 at 09:24 AM.

  6. #26
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    I bought a 2nd hand lens still come with new Tokina UV.
    At the same time, I had a existing Hoya UV filter (no scratches).
    so just wondering should I use the new filter or the existing old filter
    As long as the filters are clean and free of scratches it doesn't matter at all. If in doubt just remove all filters. Lenses are designed to work best without.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    ok.. thanks

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    use tokina or hoya, cheap and good.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Which UV filter to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupidcowz View Post
    Frankly speaking,

    both Hoya and Tokina filters are now all manufactured by Hoya. So i would suppose they're the same.

    Cowz.
    Nope they are not. While they are from the same manufacturer, even one manufacturer can have products of different tiers and standards, such as in this instance, where Tokina filters are of a lower quality than Hoya.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •