Thread: Newbie questions on buying lens

Default Newbie questions on buying lens

Hi Seniors,

I am still very new to DSLR and I am planning to go for a short holiday to Hong Kong this July and I had read in this forum that HK lens are actually cheaper. Is this true?

Currently, I am using using the D90 kit lens 18-105mm and I am looking for some cheap lens to buy. If the lens in HK is really cheap then I would like to consider a lens that is suitable of taking nice pictures there (such as scenery, people, building). But seems like the 18-105mm is capable of taking all these things...

What would be a recommended buy? Prime or zoom lens? And preferably something less than $500 SGD.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Newbie questions on buying lens

Your kit lens has a great range and it can produce decent pictures when used correctly, so stick to it first.

Like I've mentioned before, if you do not know what to get then most probably you do not need to get anything.

Enjoy your trip.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Yes true, but if its cheap....then

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyKoh View Post
    Yes true, but if its cheap....then
    It becomes a cheap item that you realise you got for a great bargain but have no use for...

If you don't know what you need, don't buy anything, no matter how cheap it is.

If you like to take half body portraits or just head shots.
    Go for the prime lens Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D. It's really neat for portraits and it's pretty sharp.
    While, I'm not sure of the price in HK now. But shd still be slightly cheaper than SG.

The price ard HKD $2900 or slightly more. If taking the rate to be 1:5.2
    Then it'll cost ard $560, whereas SG is selling ard $650.
    Last edited by Shin Howard; 7th May 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

I am considering getting prime lens 50mm 1.4f, I heard from my boss he got it at 600 odds when he was in Beijing. So I am considering it now. And TroyP is using 50mm + Raynox DCR250 so I am seriously thinking about using his setup as I am quite interested in Marco also. Any idea how much is it for the raynox?
    Last edited by DonnyKoh; 7th May 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Hi Seniors,

I am still very new to DSLR and I am planning to go for a short holiday to Hong Kong this July and I had read in this forum that HK lens are actually cheaper. Is this true?

Currently, I am using using the D90 kit lens 18-105mm and I am looking for some cheap lens to buy.
    Your kit lens is quite good. My suggestion is to go to HK and enjoy yourself taking as many pictures as you can with your present lens. Don't buy a "cheap" lens. You will regret it.
    Better save your money and when you really feel the limitations of your lens then invest in a good lens that meets your needs.

What would be a recommended buy? Prime or zoom lens? And preferably something less than $500 SGD.

Thanks in advance
    do you know whaty ou want to buy?

if you don't, don't anyhow buy

you make an immediate loss once you buy, seriously, if you get rid of it later on, better to wait for next time

yes, hong kong is cheaper, but the potential loss made because you do not know what you want.....

Get a 50mm f/1.4?

That is a good investment.. may save you a few dollars. :-}

Enjoy the trip. 18~105mm.. Good Enough. Want Sharp City Lightscape... Bring Tripod. :-}

Cheers!

Hi Seniors,

Currently, I am using using the D90 kit lens 18-105mm and I am looking for some cheap lens to buy. If the lens in HK is really cheap then I would like to consider a lens that is suitable of taking nice pictures there (such as scenery, people, building). But seems like the 18-105mm is capable of taking all these things...

Thanks in advance
    I'm a jr like you. But can I suggest going for a Tokina ATX124 Pro DXII Ultra wide angle to take in all the beautiful sceneries while you're there. In S'pore I got it for S$760, see if it's cheaper there. Also 35f1.8 abtS$400 should be a good catch as it is out of stock here.

Check it out here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505092
    Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I will go there see see look look. Any idea will a Raynox DCR250 able to be fix on my kit lens?

Raynox DCR250 will fit lens from 52-67mm.
    Check here for the compatitble lens.

http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...480052ac829791

Mcgill is selling it for $120 on MO.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Dun get anything UNTIL you know what you exactly want...

Look for a direction, but at a pinch, you may want to consider if you want to get an external flash.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thank you very much for the advise... thanks for the McGill link and an external flash seems nice. And if I want to start learning marco I might need it too. I guess I will take things slowly for now. I will consider getting a wide angle or a marco when I am there, hopefully I will not burn a big hole in my packet when I am there. Thanks anyone here for being so helpful.