Thread: Amsterdam in Black & White

Default Amsterdam in Black & White

Been playing around with the channel mixer and decided to present these few shots in B&W . These shots did not work that great in colour though ... I'd be glad to hear any opinions.

Last edited by nicky; 28th December 2003 at 07:04 AM.

This is co cool! Pictures of places i have never seen before!! I like the 4th shot. The effect of the shadows. But if the people were darker, might be nicer..

2nd pic best for me...

I like the way the light breaking the serenity, it creates a mystical feel about the place. Great shot!!

2nd, 4th & 5th pic looks good in mono. the rest shd be better in colour.

Default Great Shots!!!!!!!

All shots are perfect to me.....

great coverage Nicky!!!

rgds,
    Sulhan

nice series nicky! i like 'em all..
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

Great photos!
    Which camera you use?

Amsterdam's definitely a nice place - had a great time when I was there despite the dreary weather. Love the architecture.

Thumbs up for bringing back the memories!

like the 2nd and 7th pics
    great shots
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

Quote Originally Posted by nicky
    Been playing around with the channel mixer and decided to present these few shots in B&W . These shots did not work that great in colour though ... I'd be glad to hear any opinions.
    Good decision/eye to convert it BW. I think they work very well!! Thanks for sharing!!

..NuTs..

nice B&W pics. just a few comments -

pic 1 will be compositionly nicer with 1 subject in it.. ie: a person to break the landscape form of the scene. the dramatic part is the lighting but the attributed meaning is not very pronouced that it's a wonderful morning with quietness and peace prevailing. and who to disturb this "psychological" peace? wouldn't a subject make the composition even stronger?

I like pic 4 but would love motion in action better. Slower shutter speed can get that mood.

Pic 3 is somewhat I have in mind for Pic 4. Taken from a car window? good capture. tells a lot about the people and activity on that street.

Just my 2cts..

Hi SniperD I agree with your ideas in general. Pic 2 is a bit weak in that the surrounding subjects i.e. the trees did not manage to heigthen the main focal point i.e. the rays. They are detached and do not complement each other well. If I were to do it again, I would probably get in closer and to try to play with the shadows. I'm not too sure of your idea for pic 4 though... Motion will probably cause the shadows & silhouette to be less pronounced which is against the general notion that a good B&W photo should be contrasty, at least in this case. If I have another chance to make this shot, I would probably crouch such that the rays break at the waist level of the human subjects and also point the camera lower to elongate the shadows and place the human subjects at the upper third of the frame. For pic 3, my initial idea was to have random streaks of water across the window, however the vehicle was moving and I was waiting for a reasonably good scene to present itself. I guess I waited too long and the water streaks soon dried up to become droplets.

To melnjes, contrary to the title's intention, I think the photos do not truly reflect Amsterdam scenes which is known for its canals, gabled architecture, weed and red light district.

To topgun, I'm using a D60. Still satisfied with it, at least for the kind of photos I take.

To the rest, thanks for your comments and compliments. You guys are too kind with your critique

Here's the colour version .....

Last edited by nicky; 28th December 2003 at 07:06 AM.

GREAT pictures! Really like your composition!~

Default Wow...

Awesome pictures. Was caught by surprised that its in colour originally.

A very good close match with traditional b & w. I was just wondering if the printing of your b & W in a colour lab will come close to the traditional prints.

the colour shots not bad too... but good choice changing them to bw... it works