Thread: Canon G10 vs Canon SX10IS vs Nikon P90 vs Olympus SP-590UZ

Default Canon G10 vs Canon SX10IS vs Nikon P90 vs Olympus SP-590UZ

dilemma, dont know which to choose! i need help.

most of the prices of each camera is about the same, except for the G10, about 100-150bucks more expensive. (if it's worth it i dun mind spending the extra) the thing is, i've done the comparison and the thing that bothers me the most is its zoom. why's the G10 zoom so little? although superior image quality. im pretty new to this so yup, need your comments.

Default Re: Canon G10 vs Canon SX10IS vs Nikon P90 vs Olympus SP-590UZ

Are you looking for a Superzoom cam? What will you be shooting?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by GoneDrinkin View Post
    why's the G10 zoom so little? although superior image quality.

That's the whole point right there. Superzoom cameras sacrifice image quality for a very high focal range lens.

when you don't mess with the lens so much and leave it with more manageable limits, you can extract more image quality from it.

Also, the G10 is more of a prosumer/bridge camera. Your other choices are superzooms.
    Alpha

i like shooting scenery, animals/insects, as well as indoors. however, superzoom cam = scenery? take for example, marina barrage taking the singapore flyer. or, natural cliffs from a probably 500m distance, birthday parties, insects and animals.

sorry, "when you don't mess with the lens so much and leave it with more manageable limits, you can extract more image quality from it." is talking about superzoom cams?

and uhh prosumer/bridge camera means from prosumer bridge to dslr?

I have a G10. It is a pro-consumer camera as mentioned above. I like it as its performance is outstanding at ISO80 range, great colours and sharpness. If you are looking at macros (insects), G10 can take really good macro shots. Its portrait is also one of the best I have seen.
    Canon 5D2 | 24-105mm F4L | 16-35mm F2.8L | EX580 II | G10

Please see my reply in Red.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneDrinkin View Post
    i like shooting scenery, animals/insects, as well as indoors. however, superzoom cam = scenery? take for example, marina barrage taking the singapore flyer. or, natural cliffs from a probably 500m distance, birthday parties, insects and animals.

sorry, "when you don't mess with the lens so much and leave it with more manageable limits, you can extract more image quality from it." is talking about superzoom cams?

No, he's referring to the G10. With a smaller zoom range, the lens can perform better giving better quality photos as compared to a super zoom cam.

and uhh prosumer/bridge camera means from prosumer bridge to dslr?

Yes.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Please see my reply in Red.
    Exactly.
    Alpha

thanks! hmm so basically, G10 way superior in terms of close up shots ( like indoors, macros, short distance scenery (eg cliff's 300m away), while superzoom's better at taking objects/structures far away?