Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Situation - My rights

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Sticky Situation - My rights

Oh with this new information, I now know why the school is taking such a stand - all becuase the teacher didn't get his free photo!!! Keep evidence of his request for a free photo if you can so that if the higher up authorities investigate further, you can whip it out as evidence of motivation on why he is championing against you.

Cheap Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    Thanks guys for all of your help, especially vince123123.
    Right now i will just leave it. The 'threat' had not been to the point of punishment just a teacher angry due to the fact i wouldn't give him a free photo. If he decides to take it up more then i'll see what happens next.

The reason why i don't want them taken down is the fact that my mates, in the photos aren't wanting to have them taken off and wanting to view them. At the end of the day like any photographer I am very happy with these images and want to them to show of my capabilities of shooting that particular sport.

Thanks guys for all of your help, especially vince123123.
    Right now i will just leave it. The 'threat' had not been to the point of punishment just a teacher angry due to the fact i wouldn't give him a free photo. If he decides to take it up more then i'll see what happens next.

The reason why i don't want them taken down is the fact that my mates, in the photos aren't wanting to have them taken off and wanting to view them. At the end of the day like any photographer I am very happy with these images and want to them to show of my capabilities of shooting that particular sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Oh with this new information, I now know why the school is taking such a stand - all becuase the teacher didn't get his free photo!!! Keep evidence of his request for a free photo if you can so that if the higher up authorities investigate further, you can whip it out as evidence of motivation on why he is championing against you.

Cheap Charlie.
    hmmm.... so is it the school that officially request you to take your pics down, or the teacher doing so in "personal/prefessional" capacity?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

vince123123
    Guests

Sounds like the teacher speaking on behalf of the school (whether or not he has actual authority to do so remains unclear).

What is clear to me however is not to capitulate so quickly or "just remove" just because someone tells you to .

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    hmmm.... so is it the school that officially request you to take your pics down, or the teacher doing so in "personal/prefessional" capacity?

vince123123
    Guests

Sounds like the teacher speaking on behalf of the school (whether or not he has actual authority to do so remains unclear).

What is clear to me however is not to capitulate so quickly or "juz remove" at the very first demand to .

Thats right. let whomever trying to get the pic down do more work and show more effort to remove it.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Well the teacher had refereed to another admin staff of the school when he said it.
    But i think it was just a bit of rush of adrenaline that lead to a call, that could easily be followed up, you never know ill have to wait and see.

vince123123
    Guests

If I were you, I'll just wait. Cos from what you said, that teacher will run out of steam and not bother after a while.

Please man, ask for free photo can't get then try to shut you down? So weird; in that case isn't he an accessory to the unlawful act since he ask you for a photo which he says you shouldn't even be posting/selling/distributing? Contradiction!

Well the teacher had refereed to another admin staff of the school when he said it.
    But i think it was just a bit of rush of adrenaline that lead to a call, that could easily be followed up, you never know ill have to wait and see.

What is clear to me however is not to capitulate so quickly or "juz remove" at the very first demand to .
    Based on tje first post and in the absence on the last post by TS... I'd still say juz remove loh.... cuz one have to assume that the decision is not made individually but collectively by some authority at school.

however, with the last post... the situation become clearer that there might be "other" motive behind it. so decision might not be that straight forward.

If I were you, I'll just wait. Cos from what you said, that teacher will run out of steam and not bother after a while.

Please man, ask for free photo can't get then try to shut you down? So weird; in that case isn't he an accessory to the unlawful act since he ask you for a photo which he says you shouldn't even be posting/selling/distributing? Contradiction!
    but if it's "not for profit"... ie "free"... isn't it ok?

vince123123
    Guests

I don't understand your question. If what is not for profit, what is free, and what is okay?

but if it's "not for profit"... ie "free"... isn't it ok?

CYRN,
    I am a student, I know it is not about making profit but my pictures are worth more then just giving them away.
    It is not the profit but the principle. If i give the teacher one picture, my mates will want the picture, other teachers will want the picture. It is hard to say no when you have given it out to others. Unethical and from a business sense i don't want to be looked at that way.
    Years ago when i was learning, i gave pictures away. It was a mistake.
    Now this is more serious, i value my pictures more and am making a small amount from those pictures. Nothing serious, but not giving them away.

CYRN,
    I am a student, I know it is not about making profit but my pictures are worth more then just giving them away.
    It is not the profit but the principle. If i give the teacher one picture, my mates will want the picture, other teachers will want the picture. It is hard to say no when you have given it out to others. Unethical and from a business sense i don't want to be looked at that way.
    Years ago when i was learning, i gave pictures away. It was a mistake.
    Now this is more serious, i value my pictures more and am making a small amount from those pictures. Nothing serious, but not giving them away.
    I was juz checking with vince that if cannot sell, can "give" free... no contradiction.

Aniway, I might hav misunderstood your first post cuz, I tot you are not selling the pics and still the school ask you to take them down.... or you are like me, some of my photos are tagged "priceless"... not for sales, not free either (but neither is it online too)

vince123123
    Guests

CYRN: I never said cannot sell, in fact I encouraged him to stand up for his rights .

As long as the photo in question is not of the teacher, then with this new bit of the story the advice changes.

Screw him!

Wait until someone with authority requests removal before you do. If that time comes, then you have to make a decision in regards to which shows the better wisdom for your situation.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

I applaud you for standing up for your rights. I have seen your gallery, and you possess a good eye and good photographic skills.

However, if you can combine your obvious photographic talent with a teeny bit of social skills, you will go far, much further than if you limit your potential through a low EQ.

For instance, why not consider your teacher's request for your photo of him as a compliment and endorsement of your photographic talent? He may not have expressed his request in a way you expected, raising your defiance.. Nevertheless whenever anyone wants a photo taken by you, it is an indication he likes what you took, isn't it?

Second, the teacher may have reacted the way he did (becoming a bully) after he lost face when you rejected his request. Adults are like that -- they expect respect from their juniors, whether such respect is earned or not.. You wld have shown him maturity beyond your years (and probably made a good impression on those around you) had you simply acceded to his request by telling him.. "Sure, teacher, thank you for wanting the photo, although I don't like the way you trampled on my rights..."

Let me give you another reason why you will benefit by being more positive: social skills and networking is important for a photographer. Developing good social interaction skills at an young age will help you to take better photos as you mature, particularly when you take portraits, weddings, etc where people skills become paramount. I believe a good portrait shows the photographer's people skills more than anything else, and I rate it higher than technical skills. Ability to remain cool and collected under pressure is a plus in good commercial photography, but it is not something you can learn from textbooks, only from life experiences.

Learning when to stand up for yr rights (distinct from simply knowing your rights) and when to make a friend, will help you to progress. I learnt that early in my first career as a banker. I also faced that when I started my second career in photography. In most cases, people who did me wrong, came back to me later with more business. *grin* Your teacher, for instance, may show the photo you took to his colleagues, and you gain as your reputation goes round. Heck, you may even get a future request for a paid shoot as a result of simply giving that photo away !! That may happen or it may not, but you get the point.

Youth is a time when we are most passionate about the things we believe in. However, it is also a time when our heart -- rather than our head -- rules our passions, sometimes to our regret later in life.

Sorry if I sound "preachy". I hope you don't take this post as condescending or patronizing. It is neither. I respect you as an young adult. I like your pictures, I think you will go far if you allow your potential to develop further. Hence my piece, because I have mentored teens, several of whom have grown up to be socially comfortable and well-liked, with leadership qualities. A few don't make the grade, however, or take much longer.

It's a pity.

All the best to you in your future endeavours.
    Last edited by BlueFly; 7th May 2009 at 03:35 PM.

How about just blurring the school logo in all the photos.
    It might even interest people who want to find out which school you are from.

All in all just be careful. You will feel stupid if this ends up becoming a big matter which could be settled more amicably now.

Quote Originally Posted by merlala View Post
    How about just blurring the school logo in all the photos.
    It might even interest people who want to find out which school you are from.
    green and gold jumper hmm i wonder where they are from haha

any more news about the whole thing geeteethree?

Up for TS

Standing up for your rights. I did so a month back for my school too. A lecturer came forth and ask for me to take photos. I told her I owned the rights to all photos taken. She paused and said why. I said because I'm the photographer, I cherished all my works. She agreed.

The next day, I whipped out a mutual agreement form and got her to sign it. Haha!

Wah, TS really protective of his photos, all kena watermarked until jialat jialat

Those are nice, clean shoots, don't remove them. If the school logo is the issue, maybe you can PP them away. Can't let the childish teacher bully his way around

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12