Thread: Help on Night Photography

Default Help on Night Photography

Hi all, i hope this is the right place to ask questions, and a really shallow one i would say. When i was photographing at night yesterday using a tripod pointing towards CBD area, how come the camera doesn't allow me to capture the image at times? Sometimes i just press down the shutter button and wait for a beep, but the beep never comes. Any help?

Default Re: Help on Night Photography

I believe you've set it to auto-focus. When you press the shutter release halfway, your camera will try to "get a focus" on something, before you can shoot.

haha.. did you depress the shutter button all the way down? The half-press is used to focus the image. Press down fully then will capture the photo.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Your camera could not lock focus. Make sure you can focus first, or switch to mnual focus.
    Alpha

It is also a good idea not to depress fully in this manner, as it most likely will cause some shake. Depress it halfway to focus first, just like firing a rifle in army. Better yet, use 2-sec timer mode or a remote trigger.
    Videographer @ A Merry Moment

so do i have to find focus on something first before pointing at the buildings which cause me to have problems to focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Showa View Post
    so do i have to find focus on something first before pointing at the buildings which cause me to have problems to focus?
    yes, or find a clearly defined edge on the buildings and focus on that. Best to use 10 second timer too to reduce blur.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Showa View Post
    Hi all, i hope this is the right place to ask questions, and a really shallow one i would say. When i was photographing at night yesterday using a tripod pointing towards CBD area, how come the camera doesn't allow me to capture the image at times? Sometimes i just press down the shutter button and wait for a beep, but the beep never comes. Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Your camera could not lock focus. Make sure you can focus first, or switch to mnual focus.
    Confirm that. Happened to me many times.
    No beep = No focus lock = Not allowed to fire off a shot

After some frustration, I just stick to MF for night landscapes.

OH yeah, don't forget to use self-timer or remote releasse, to minimize shake.
    Exploring! :)

thank you all for clarifying my doubts!

Does your lens goes into "hunting mode" when you half-press the shutter release button?
    If yes, it is because it can't do a auto-focus lock.

When did you tried taking the shots? If the sky is quite dark, it can't differentiate the subject and the surrounding hence it is not able to do the auto-focus lock hence it does not beep.

Here are some solution to your problems.
    1. If you are using a wide angle lens and shooting landscape, just switch the focusing to manual and and turn to infinity and shoot at small aperture of f8 - f11 or even f22 at times.
    2. Look for a subject that is along the same plane as your subject of interest and more striking or have more contrast against the dark sky, focus on it, then do a AF-L (Auto Focus-Lock), recompose and shoot.
    3. Bring a torchlight to help to light up the subject (provided that the subject is not too far and that the light will disturb the subject) and try focusing.

Thanks for giving me an idea to start a thread on Problems in Night Photography. Might take some time to write up, but hope that can help others who are facing similar problems. Cheers.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…