Thread: Need a camera to snap FISH... which cam ah?

Default Need a camera to snap FISH... which cam ah?

ok.. my brother outlaw is a Aworana fish breeder and need to snap pictures to show this his customer... I tried using the IXUS330 and the problem is the shutter speed is too slow (min 1sec) in manual mode, thus causing the picture to be blur as the fish move. If i want fast shutter speed then i need to set it to Auto, which then its too dark.

So what I need is a camera that has faster shutter speed and also can snap it in darker conditions.. using flash light is totally out as the glass will reflect it back.

erm.. hope you pros here can help me to choose for him. I got around 3 wks time as he is coming to Singapore end of this month. Budget around $600-700..

So far in my mind is the A80, is that good? what other should I look at based on the requirement i need?

Thks in advance !!

Probably a camera with flash hotshoe..

Edit : Bounce the flash off ceiling.. then the glass wun haf reflection...

you could set high shutter speed on many cameras but it won't be useful as you'll just get black/dark pics due to insufficient light.

people generally use flash for aquarium pics. by pressing the camera lens against the wall, you won't get reflection or will minimise it. Having an off camera flash will also be useful for directing flash from the top or sides.

Of course, he could also install (much) brighter lights for the aquarium and not use flash but I'm not sure if the fish will like it

I have a few snapshots of fish in aquarium, all taken with built-in flash.

http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/qianhu

You need a camera with low noise at ISO 400. Flash is not really necessary as the tank lighting will suffice. Fast AF and less shutter lag is also good to have. Consider a 2nd hand Fuji 602z, its AF is way better than a P&S camera like the A80.

Here's a sample I took without flash @ISO 400 on a D60:

he needs a bright aquarium if he were to use ISO 400 to freeze moving fish.... from his original post, if 1s is at f/2.8 and ISO100, IS400 will result in 1/4s which may be too slow to freeze moving fish.

Get the sony U60, can submerge the whole cam in the water. Like that zero glass reflection wat.

noted all ur suggestion.. thks

the aquarium is pretty bright... actually, he breed his fish not in the standard aquarium, he breed it in a tank as big as a 2 room house... only limited fish is kept in the standard aquarium tank.

anyway, i do not want a camera that has the same problem with my Ixus330.. ie 1)where in auto mode its too dark but in a faster shutter speed, 2) in manual mode the shutter speed min is only 1sec which is too slow.

so which camera u all think i should consider? need to be new.. below $700 but hope can get around $600+ ... thks.

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ
    noted all ur suggestion.. thks

the aquarium is pretty bright... actually, he breed his fish not in the standard aquarium, he breed it in a tank as big as a 2 room house... only limited fish is kept in the standard aquarium tank.

anyway, i do not want a camera that has the same problem with my Ixus330.. ie 1)where in auto mode its too dark but in a faster shutter speed, 2) in manual mode the shutter speed min is only 1sec which is too slow.

so which camera u all think i should consider? need to be new.. below $700 but hope can get around $600+ ... thks.
    buy an ext flash that can do digital slave?
    $70+ for a cheap one at mscolour.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Quote Originally Posted by denizenx
    buy an ext flash that can do digital slave?
    $70+ for a cheap one at mscolour.
    well ok, can always buy a ext. flash... but the question still remain... which camera? also not all camera can install a ext. flash rite?

EOS 300D with canon 100 f/2.8 macro USM or sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro

I'm sure other P&S will work.
    your priorities will be
    ISO 400 or more up to 800, low noise, fast shutter speed, flash hotshoe .
    and SHUTTER LAG.

eg: shooting tetras that zoom around. I use shutter speeds up to 1/120

really also depend on yout type of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    EOS 300D with canon 100 f/2.8 macro USM or sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro

I'm sure other P&S will work.
    your priorities will be
    ISO 400 or more up to 800, low noise, fast shutter speed, flash hotshoe .
    and SHUTTER LAG.

eg: shooting tetras that zoom around. I use shutter speeds up to 1/120

really also depend on yout type of fish.
    as posted in my 1st post.. budget $600 maybe $700 ..

Fish to capture is arowana only...

its that is the case, go rent a camera (SLR) that can fix an external flash, have low iso (noiseless or relatively grain free)! or buy a cheap 1st/2nd hand slr camera. with budget for flash and lens. i think most slr cams shoot what you are looking for.

another way is to borrow a camera from a friend if you are shooting the fish for a day or so.

last way is to find a helpful soul to shoot that fish for your brother.

denizenx mention a slave flash, when you use your flash, the slave flash will also go off, so solve your 'problem' of light. experiment

Thks for the suggestion...

renting a camera is not a choice as he is in Indonesia, also he really wants to buy one as this is a long term thing... he dont need superb photo to enter competition, just a camera that can capture moving fish at fast speed but at the same time can provide brighter photo. He uses these photo to post online or sent to potential customers only.

the slave flash is a option, before getting that need to get a camera.. SLR is way over budget and I do not think he got the time to learn it. I just need a point n shoot camera with good manual override so he can capture the fish at best possible quality for a novice user.

At the moment I am thinking either a Canon A80 .. Nikon coolpix 3100/2100.. olyumpus 740uz .. havent chk out the price yet but i think the canon and nikons is within budget