Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Flash for Macro photography

  1. #1

    Default Flash for Macro photography

    Hi Guys,

    Based on your experience, is flash a MUST for macro photography of insects?? I find that I can get more details of the insect if it's in a shade, but cannot use too small appertures due to the slow shutter speed.. I managed to take some OK shots with my current setup(no flash, and sunlight), and would like to know whether a flash will help me to get better pics..





    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default

    yes flash will help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hein
    Hi Guys,

    Based on your experience, is flash a MUST for macro photography of insects?? I find that I can get more details of the insect if it's in a shade, but cannot use too small appertures due to the slow shutter speed.. I managed to take some OK shots with my current setup(no flash, and sunlight), and would like to know whether a flash will help me to get better pics..







    Get a macro flash (expensive!!!) or just an external hotshoe flash.... currently a lot of your shots have shadows which obscure a lot details.... and it seems that your lens like not macro enough..... Need to go closer....

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Get a macro flash (expensive!!!) or just an external hotshoe flash.... currently a lot of your shots have shadows which obscure a lot details.... and it seems that your lens like not macro enough..... Need to go closer....
    You meaning that I may improve those shots if I get an external hotshoe flash, as this will help me eliminate the shadows.. I'll still need a diffuser I believe... Can I get better pics without the flash, or it's something I'll really need if I'm really interested in macro????

    I'm not using a macro lens.. Using a 28-135 with a CloseUp +4.. I doubt I'll be getting more CloseUp filters so soon, as I want to improve my techniques before justifying whether to get more CloseUp filters, or a macro lens...
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Depends on your setup. Flash may not be a necessity in many cases. I for one never use flash.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Sorry, borrow your thread, anyone tried using torchlight, those super bright white light torch? Any good?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    Sorry, borrow your thread, anyone tried using torchlight, those super bright white light torch? Any good?

    Consumes lots of batteries real quick... may create hotspots... but i never used before lar... so just my conjecture.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    Depends on your setup. Flash may not be a necessity in many cases. I for one never use flash.

    But he's shooting like with the sun very strong.... can see that it is casting lots of shadows around.... so the flash would help him in this situation...... if he were to shoot in the same conditions again.... my 2 cents.....

  9. #9

    Default

    If you're seriously going into insect macros, an external flash is a necessity in my opinion. If you're shooting insects under the bright sun, the flash will help fill the shadow areas, bringing out the details. If shooting under poor lighting (e.g, under thick canopy), the flash will help light up the subject and background.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •