Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens disassembly

Default Re: Lens disassembly

Remove the screws that hold the mount. Use plus screw driver size 0
    Note that the screw indicated by blue is different from the three screws

Picture a bit out of focus

remove the mount

Remove the spacers.
    Simply follow the same stacking of spacers during reassembly to avoid any problem
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Slide the A/M switch ( no need to remove the solder)

Lift the rear cover while inserting the A/M inside the hole

Remove the focusing ring
    Last edited by fatigue; 7th May 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    9815-1974

Note: Discharge yourself to ground before touching the electronics components

Carefully remove the FFC (flat flexible cable) indicated in blue.
    You need to slide the brown locks to remove the FFC
    No need to remove the FFC indicated in purple
    Remove the screw indicated in RED
    9815-1974

To be continued...

Time help my kids with their home works
    9815-1974

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Yes, I still do lens cleaning.
    Almost cleared my back logs.

I tried to send the instruction by mail, but it's too big.
    Maybe I can simply post the procedure in one of the threads
    ( 'hope nobody gets angry, no intention to steal someone's rice bowl)
    Sharing out of passion is well appreciated Fatigue.

If anyone attacks you, well, just refer them here and I'm sure CS members would readily share their opinions. It's the least we could do for all that you have shared with this community.

Almost all. But I'm avoiding those very expensive lenses.
    Someone who can afford expensive gears should be able to afford charges at service centers
    NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE!

After buying expensive lenses, no money liao!

Also, many not rich people buy used at lower prices, and some not rich people inherit expensive gear mah.

David,

u SHOULD come to open a shop here!

there is a sizeable amount of people in sad small towns like where i am who need lens repairs.

I don't intend to have a business like that, but i'm very very impressed with your clear cut instructions too and the patience you have with taking a step by step tutorial on how to fix the darn screw.

only thing is, what do u mean by needing to "slide the brown locks" ?

...... i'm about to embark on the virgin mission to probe the lens.......... do i hear.... "May da force be with ye?"

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post

9815-1974

The brown locks or what my work normally call are Flex Connector. Come in different forms. So i guess what he meant was, to slide it (up or down, i am not sure), so the catch will release the flex connection.

Note the grounding mentioned by Fatigue Bro as well, you may just "kill" the whole device if not grounded properly. Most of the electronic production line uses Antistatic Wrist band and Antistatic finger glove for such sensitive products.

And use the correct size of screw driver for screw removing. Always use the correct tools.

Fatigue bro, wah lau, even though my work deals with precision engineering, seriously, my hand will shake if it is my own lens (work place debug parts, not my money ma). Hahaha.
    Good skill there~

There's a short cut to all these procedure, but I haven't documented it yet.
    It's also a bit difficult to explain

Good night
    9815-1974

vince123123
    Guests

Agreed, I'll be the first one to help you if there's any legal trouble, dont worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Sharing out of passion is well appreciated Fatigue.

If anyone attacks you, well, just refer them here and I'm sure CS members would readily share their opinions. It's the least we could do for all that you have shared with this community.

Thank you guys for your support.

Hi Yapster, were you the one who inquired about the TLR? Sorry, too busy that time
    9815-1974

Carefully lift the FFC indicated by blue arrow. It's attached by a double-sided tape to the aluminum ring. If you damage this, you can kiss your AF good bye

Before removing any screws, take note of the orientation of the aluminum ring.
    Check the pink arrows, the special shape on the ring should sit beside the FFC cable during reassembly.

Remove the screws indicated by green arrows

Remove the aluminum ring.

Remove the screws indicated by red arrows

Before removing the main AF mechanism, take note of the orientation of the mechanism.
    Refer to the gray arrow.
    Last edited by fatigue; 7th May 2009 at 10:22 PM.
    9815-1974

Thank you guys for your support.

Hi Yapster, were you the one who inquired about the TLR? Sorry, too busy that time
    Err, bro, no la. Me no TLR. Haha.

Hi fatigue.....

i followed all your procedures till past removing the main PCB and unlocking all that.... those were quite simple and fun.

However.....in my haste and desperation...... i couldn't get a correct sized crosshead screwdriver (till this morning) so one of the screws (indicated by the green arrow in the last picture), the crosshead thread is worn down...........

haiz....so 2 of the green arrowed screws were okay, one worn crosshead thread.....

well, in the end, i reassembled the lens back but unscrewed the front lens mount and removed the offending loose screw and plastic piece that were happily dancing within my optics....and found out that actually, they belonged to one of the 3 1st lens group sliding ring screws and plastic bracket...... now only 2 of them are holding it in place.... tried zooming a few times and it seemed fine.... do i really need to put the this "lost in translation" screw and bracket back?

its just ARGH that i have to strip it down even past the steps that u;ve shown, till 3rd lens group, b4fore i can access fully the 1st lens group sliding ring.....

is there an easier way to access to that without striping it down completely?

Hi fatigue.....

i followed all your procedures till past removing the main PCB and unlocking all that.... those were quite simple and fun.

However.....in my haste and desperation...... i couldn't get a correct sized crosshead screwdriver (till this morning) so one of the screws (indicated by the green arrow in the last picture), the crosshead thread is worn down...........

haiz....so 2 of the green arrowed screws were okay, one worn crosshead thread.....

well, in the end, i reassembled the lens back but unscrewed the front lens mount and removed the offending loose screw and plastic piece that were happily dancing within my optics....and found out that actually, they belonged to one of the 3 1st lens group sliding ring screws and plastic bracket...... now only 2 of them are holding it in place.... tried zooming a few times and it seemed fine.... do i really need to put the this "lost in translation" screw and bracket back?

its just ARGH that i have to strip it down even past the steps that u;ve shown, till 3rd lens group, b4fore i can access fully the 1st lens group sliding ring.....

is there an easier way to access to that without striping it down completely?
    Kaypo a bit. I am not sure, but have you try hardware shop to get similar screws (though i think it is hard to find)? And is the screw really so worn out that it cannot be tightened back?
    Last edited by Yapster; 7th May 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Sorry, I don't have the exact picture for the next step.
    I will use another picture with indication instead.

In the actual condition, you have removed the focusing ring, PCB and the aluminum base ring.

Set the zoom to 70mm

Optional step: (you may need to perform this step if the zoom ring is stuck and you can't set the focal length to 70mm)
    Remove the zoom ring rubber and remove the single screw on the side of zoom ring.
    Refer to green arrow

Next step (necessary)
    This step you will separate the focus mechanism assembly (upper portion) and the glass assembly(lower portion) .
    Separation is indicated by red arrows

To remove, you need to lift gently the focus mechanism assembly by a bit then rotate as indicated by the purple arrow. Take good care not to damage any FFC cable.
    9815-1974

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Kaypo a bit. I am not sure, but have you try hardware shop to get similar screws (though i think it is hard to find)? And is the screw really so worn out that it cannot be tightened back?

no worries.....yeah, this Saturday i'll be going to a local hardware DIY shop which i should be able to find the same kinda screws...... only thing is not about screwing it back, but unscrewing it out....

in a sense, it is nice to know that it is jammed, so that i won't be itchy hands to continue striping it down.....

on the other hand, if it is a must to rescrew in the offending screw and its plastic bracket, then LPPL, i'll probably need to get a deeper grooved screw and try very hard to unscrew it out first and then replace with a similar brand new screw.....

but having said that it is indeed fun to study the inside of the lens! and i cleaned the crap out of my optics .....

all these made possible by very detailed pictures and instructions by David.....

After disassembly, your lens will look like this

the green arrow shows the screw under the zoom ring rubber from previous step

Now you can check and tighten the 3 screws indicated by red arrows
    9815-1974

Don't disassemble your lens yet.
    Coming up, tips on how to assemble back and short-cut tip

Good night
    9815-1974

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast