Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you travel in cabs as often as in the past?

Default Re: Would you travel in cabs as often as in the past?

With that kind of services and charges, I would really call it luxury.

Unlike many cab drivers who speed, don't know their route, some even drive longer route to charge you more. I have encountered quite a few such drivers who deliberately chose longer routes. There is no way you can call that luxury as some people naively believe it to be.

Higher cost equals to luxury or improvement? No, no if service standard doesn't improve.
    Last edited by johnlim; 6th May 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I don't know what u mean by dirt cheap. And what has laziness & getting spoilt got to do with cab fare. You confound me as well.

Increasing fares is an improvement of what? Can you elaborate?

The road is full of cabs or full of buses? MOst people will take buses, not cabs. Simply because buses are DIRT CHEAP, if compared with cabs. So you mean to say we should increase increase bus fare as well.
    read my point about change... and your weak defense of "unique culture"

what i meant was that "unique culture" can be used to defend almost anything, weakly... and you didn't get the point.

i rest my case, there is no common frequency. have a good day, i will not engage in this nonsensical tit for tat debate, if my examples to portray the flaws in your point are taken as points made on my part, then i can see why this is going nowhere.. you are so adamant in your fantasy world that cabs should be common goods that you refuse to see any other opposing point of view.

btw, if you think cabs are not luxurious, then what next, you want to pay $34 for a 1 hour full length limou ride?

for someone your age, you should know that in life, you pay for what you get, and just because things get more expensive, doesn't change that fact.

a cab is definitely more comfortable than a bus ride, whether you like it or not. it's supposed to be one level up. the way you argue it is as if we're supposed to get buses the standards of cabs, or cabs the standards of buses, both of which make zero sense.

of course you have to pay more for a cab! gone are the days when you can sit around with your 4 other friends and think, hey, if we take bus to this place, might as well take cab. if you ask me, there was a problem with pricing in the past, now it is being corrected..

and as usual, people will complain about anything, and everything.
    Last edited by night86mare; 6th May 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    read my point about change... and your weak defense of "unique culture"

what i meant was that "unique culture" can be used to defend almost anything, weakly... and you didn't get the point.

i rest my case, there is no common frequency. have a good day, i will not engage in this nonsensical tit for tat debate, if my examples to portray the flaws in your point are taken as points made on my part, then i can see why this is going nowhere.. you are so adamant in your fantasy world that cabs should be common goods that you refuse to see any other opposing point of view.

btw, if you think cabs are not luxurious, then what next, you want to pay $34 for a 1 hour full length limou ride?

for someone your age, you should know that in life, you pay for what you get, and just because things get more expensive, doesn't change that fact.

a cab is definitely more comfortable than a bus ride, whether you like it or not. it's supposed to be one level up. the way you argue it is as if we're supposed to get buses the standards of cabs, or cabs the standards of buses, both of which make zero sense.

of course you have to pay more for a cab! gone are the days when you can sit around with your 4 other friends and think, hey, if we take bus to this place, might as well take cab. if you ask me, there was a problem with pricing in the past, now it is being corrected..

and as usual, people will complain about anything, and everything.
    I have the same feeling as you; It is not going anywhere. Going on will have wasted my time here, which is not my intention. Same frequency here.

Anywhere, there are always different views and perspective. I wouldn't say who is right or wrong here as if I am some kind of guru; I don't assume to be one.

But one thing definitely strikes me, it is the idea of the "DIRT CHEAP" theory.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Best way is not to take cabs.

AVOID it if you can UNLESS you are REALLY desparate or carrying heavy items.

Seriously speaking, once you see a slow down on public taking cabs (it has not happen yet especially during peak hours and rainy days) the drivers is going to feel the pinch.

Although it's painful at times taking buses or MRTs or both, the amount of money save is a lot during recession like this. I have a friend who takes cabs from Tampines at 7.30am in the morning to go Redhill everyday. Cab fare was around $30...plus per trip and took cab back from Red Hill again from 6pm to Tampines which is another $30 plus. She spend around $1000 a month (half of her monthly salary).

Her excuses were plentiful

1)She wants to sleep 30mins more
    2)She does not want to look unglam when she comes to office
    3)She hates the sun
    4)She hates the rain
    5)She hates to walk
    6)She does not want to be late to work
    7)She does not have a driving liciense (failed 9 times on advance theory test)
    8)She told us she does not spend on branded goods which means she saves on that to spend on cab fare.....(hahaha.....nearly wanted to laugh at this when she explain to us)
    9)She hates being touch when she goes on the MRT or Bus and she hates the smell of old buses....

The best part is she is not the only one who parts her salary to Singapore cabbies but a few more colleagues does that too every morning....
    Damn.. Sounds like me but its a luxury I choose to have

Back in the days when initial cab fare was so cheap, I'd go, heck with it, cabbie here i come.

Now that prices are every increasing, plus all the hidden surcharges which can pile up even more heavily on cab fares, I think it's really not worth taking cab unless you are REALLY running late, have too much to carry, or if it's something highly important.

hehehe i actually took cab more frequent than usual... because my company sponser whenever i work night shift ^_^ .. which i did more often during this recession period.

haha on the serious side... actually depends la, i only take cab if i know i am going to be more than 1/2 hr late if i take other modes of public transport. if i spend on taxi, i scrimp on other stuff like food and expenses.. give and take lor.

Singapore is always one of the top most expensive cities to live in the world ... but compare our cab fares with the rest of the other citites, ours are still considered reasonable

Used to be cheap (50%-70% cheaper) before the ERP era, now reasonable (about 30%-40% cheaper) but the future trend is closing the gap to the major cities like Tokyo, London, New York, Paris, etc....

SO if can take the train, just take the train .... it's inevitable.
    always the Light, .... always.

I think taking cab is really dependable on how much the person is earning anyway.

no more, unless urgent or emergencies..

can save, i will save becos money is hard to come by.

I would whinge about the cost of taking a cab in Singapore.

I would.

until I started taking cabs in Melbourne, where they demanded for my unborn child, or my left kidney as a form of payment.

I kid you not. I was charged $120 AUD (approximately $150 SGD back then in conversion rates) for a trip from the airport to my place. granted it was 43.5km in length, but I've done a similar trip in terms of distance in Singapore (Bishan to Changi, back to Bishan, back to Changi) and I didn't even pay more than $60 in that trip.

so yes. from my perspective, cabs are cheap as in Singapore.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I would whinge about the cost of taking a cab in Singapore.

I would.

until I started taking cabs in Melbourne, where they demanded for my unborn child, or my left kidney as a form of payment.

I kid you not. I was charged $120 AUD (approximately $150 SGD back then in conversion rates) for a trip from the airport to my place. granted it was 43.5km in length, but I've done a similar trip in terms of distance in Singapore (Bishan to Changi, back to Bishan, back to Changi) and I didn't even pay more than $60 in that trip.

so yes. from my perspective, cabs are cheap as in Singapore.

In Australia, the recommended mode of transport is to get your own car. That is one of the reasons why the cab in Australia needed to charge more as not many population as in percentage is taking cab as compared to Singapore.....

At the end of the day, it really depends on the issue of "demand & supply" and business strategies adopted by these companies.

Many empty cabs are seen parking around HDB carparks waiting for hire by cabbists on a day-by-day basis. Demand for cabs are definitely slowing down due the present economic crisis.

And the problem still persists where cabbists still play hide&seek games by parking in areas near shopping malls, waiting for call-in customers, just to earn a few more dollars.

Who knows? Smaller players could be wiped out eventually if they do nothing about their business strategies, and just following the trend set by the big players. Or it could be that they are too small to make an impact on the cabbing industry, hence they are led by the nose under the influence of bigger players.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    In Australia, the recommended mode of transport is to get your own car. That is one of the reasons why the cab in Australia needed to charge more as not many population as in percentage is taking cab as compared to Singapore.....
    I heard they charge more because the cost of getting their cab licence is exponentially higher than Singapore, plus they need to do an outright purchase of their car (normally a v6) before it can be converted into a cash. that in itself would set them back almost 50 grand AUD.

but that's what I hear.

I just take a cab when I have to. say, from the airport, or from a club after a night out in town with the mates.
    chicken fight!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123