Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you travel in cabs as often as in the past?

Default Re: Would you travel in cabs as often as in the past?

Most of the bucks went to the fat guys at the companies. Taxi-drivers earn really little. Much of it went to their rent, $90 for a whole day if i recalled correctly.
    Canon EOS 450D|EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    My flickr

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, there is nothing wrong about me talking about you talking about it either, no?
    If someone talks about you talking about him talking about it, then it won't be the same as him talking about you talking about him talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    too me no diff....

I took cab to work almost everyday

For a start, i would try to curb it...but as time goes by...I go heck it lah...just makan less lor
    makan less? lol...use smaller camera better la...wait, ur oredi using it! dem, dats a small camera!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If someone talks about you talking about him talking about it, then it won't be the same as him talking about you talking about him talking about it.

say what?
    おれのflickrださ

Let's all go boycott the taxis. The charges are really unreasonable now. Let those fat boys who are sitting in air-con rooms know who their bosses are!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Let's all go boycott the taxis. The charges are really unreasonable now. Let those fat boys who are sitting in air-con rooms know who their bosses are!
    err...some fatter bosses sitting in bigger air-con rooms...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    They will not be affected as the rental rates are dictated and fixed. If cabbies cant even pay rent, cabbie go jail, not the business owners.

And, mind you, they are very diversified in almost every business there is out there... well except selling coffins. Can you boycott insurance, supermarket, convenience stalls, taxi, resorts and jackpot machines, food court, etc etc etc? You cant because they generate billions from the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    I read your post very carefully. Transcab operates at least 3 different type of taxis, from toyota crown to mercedes. You did not state any ERP charge in your initial post.
    you mean toyota & mercedes charge differently for street pick-up?

i still take... but only when other public tpt is not variable, e.g. after midnight
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    limo cab charge more for street pickup.

yep.. different models of cab charge differently during pickup.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    I read your post very carefully. Transcab operates at least 3 different type of taxis, from toyota crown to mercedes. You did not state any ERP charge in your initial post.

Please refer to my first post. The City Surcharge is actually ERP; They are the same; ONe sounds better than the other, no different.

I don't know which cab my parents took, but I am not interested anyway, because my main concern is the 35% peak hour surcharge, which amount to a substantial fee if you travel over a long distance. Regardless of which type of taxis, I think they all impose the same peak hour surcharge.

As I said, I will not avoid taking cabs, but I will certainly avoid them during the peak hours.
    Last edited by johnlim; 6th May 2009 at 02:17 PM.

well, there is nothing wrong about me talking about you talking about it either, no?

i never said you couldn't talk about it, i just expressed my viewpoint about the fact that people were too used to cabbing in singapore. it shouldn't be the case, really. it isn't the case elsewhere, in fact, at least for equivalent or higher economics standards
    I don't see why cabbing should be like any other cities. If people are used to taking cab, why not? Who invent the idea that cabbing is a luxury?

Why can't we let our unique culture carries on?

I can still rememeber reading the newspaper article that it was our Big brother "Comfort" that initiated the first move and encourage the rest to do the same; The rest had to followed. Why? Because if they do not followed, they fear their own tenants will quit renting their cabs and go over to Comfort. A surcharge will increase their income, who don't want?
    Last edited by johnlim; 6th May 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I don't see why cabbing should be like any other cities. If people are used to taking cab, why not? Who invent the idea that cabbing is a luxury?

Why can't we let our unique culture carries on?

I can still rememeber reading the newspaper article that it was our Big brother "Comfort" that initiated the first move and encourage the rest to do the same; The rest had to followed. Why? Because if they do not followed, they fear their own tenants will quit renting their cabs and go over to Comfort. A surcharge will increase their income, who don't want?

that's like saying, if someone is spoilt until he has a diva attitude, we should continue giving him what he wants

your logic confounds me

"unique culture"? that is such a nonsensical defense for anything involving change.

"let's improve ourselves."

"but we have a unique culture of being lazy."

sure, let's embrace our unique culture, make all cab fares become dirt cheap... then in the end, everyone take public transport, because the road so full of cabs until it becomes more efficient to travel by mrt

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    They will not be affected as the rental rates are dictated and fixed. If cabbies cant even pay rent, cabbie go jail, not the business owners
    Actually, I was told by a taxi driver when they first implemented the 35% surcharge that the taxi operators didn't dare repossess the vehicles of drivers who were not paying their rental on time. But SMART cab give rebates to drivers whom sign up for giro payment scheme.

40cents difference...

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Please refer to my first post. The City Surcharge is actually ERP; They are the same; ONe sounds better than the other, no different.
    Actually no, ERP is not equals to city area surcharge. Chinatown is considered CBD, so yea, that's a surcharge they impose from 5pm onwards till 12midnight. 35% surcharge is only from 5pm to 8/830pm i think.

Anyway, was told by another cabby that their overheads are really very high. Yes, I take cabs often and I kinda chat to cabbies most of the times....

That day was speaking to a chrysler cabby. He told me his rental a day is $150 and his petrol is $80 per day. He drives 16hours a day.

This is in comparison to rental rates of $113 for sonata cabs and $130 for merz cabs..... And fuel consumption is oso much lower in these vehicles, like $30 to $60 a day...

I asked him why so long? His reply was, or else it will not be enuf to cover the overheads n other maintanance cost. Was oso told that these chrysler cabs have to go for regular "Gooming" sessions to maintain its conditions..... And these maintainance costs are HIGH...

And, lastly, i dunno if this is good news or not, but he also told me that next yr one of the cab companies is going to launch a BMW 7 seater taxi. Probably the X5 series of cars....
    Last edited by evo-lution; 6th May 2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Actually, I was told by a taxi driver when they first implemented the 35% surcharge that the taxi operators didn't dare repossess the vehicles of drivers who were not paying their rental on time. But SMART cab give rebates to drivers whom sign up for giro payment scheme.

40cents difference...

Actually no, ERP is not equals to city area surcharge. Chinatown is considered CBD, so yea, that's a surcharge they impose from 5pm onwards till 12midnight. 35% surcharge is only from 5pm to 8/830pm i think.
    yup.. u r rite.. ERP is not the same as city area surcharge..
    n ppeak hour surcharge is 7 am till 930 am n 5 pm till 830 pm

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Anyway, was told by another cabby that their overheads are really very high. Yes, I take cabs often and I kinda chat to cabbies most of the times....

That day was speaking to a chrysler cabby. He told me his rental a day is $150 and his petrol is $80 per day. He drives 16hours a day.

This is in comparison to rental rates of $113 for sonata cabs and $130 for merz cabs..... And fuel consumption is oso much lower in these vehicles, like $30 to $60 a day...

I asked him why so long? His reply was, or else it will not be enuf to cover the overheads n other maintanance cost. Was oso told that these chrysler cabs have to go for regular "Gooming" sessions to maintain its conditions..... And these maintainance costs are HIGH...
    Like that then why he choose to drive high maintenance car?

that's like saying, if someone is spoilt until he has a diva attitude, we should continue giving him what he wants

your logic confounds me

"unique culture"? that is such a nonsensical defense for anything involving change.

"let's improve ourselves."

"but we have a unique culture of being lazy."

sure, let's embrace our unique culture, make all cab fares become dirt cheap... then in the end, everyone take public transport, because the road so full of cabs until it becomes more efficient to travel by mrt

I don't know what u mean by dirt cheap. And what has laziness & getting spoilt got to do with cab fare. You confound me as well.

Increasing fares is an improvement of what? Can you elaborate?

The road is full of cabs or full of buses? MOst people will take buses, not cabs. Simply because buses are DIRT CHEAP, if compared with cabs. So you mean to say we should increase increase bus fare as well.

I think the fares charged by these luxurious car are slightly higher. Some of these are probably being booked by regular clients who want more luxury. I have seen two luxury cabs waiting outside a building at certain time of the day almost everyday.

I guess its a balance of pride n making a living.

Why pride? As I was told, not every driver can qualify to be a chrsyler cabby. They have to go thru a few interviews n tonnes of training session in cust svc areas. So, well, it might be, to some cabbies, an honour to be selected to drive the chrsyler cab. There are abt a 100 chrysler cabs in SG now Btw...

Anyway, another thing I was told, initially, these chrsyler cabs command a fixed rate of $60 per hour if they are booked by clients. But, now, due to the decreasing demand n ppl are more prudent in their spending, the rate actually dropped to $45 per hour. Same as a merz.

So, yea, if i ever need such limo svcs, I wld definitely go for a chrsyler instead of the merz. The chrsyler is definitely more comfortable n spacious that the merz and so far, out of my two experience with chrsyler cabs, the drivers indeed provide better svcs, more polite n things like that. They actually are able to engaged in meaningful conversations with me. Not the typical ignorant abt current affairs cabby.....
    Last edited by evo-lution; 6th May 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast