Thread: Recommendation Needed: Photography for Family

Default Recommendation Needed: Photography for Family Members

Hi all,

I'm not too sure if its ever been covered in the forums here but there's been on my head for some time. So, here goes about my situation.

I would like to buy a digital camera for my parents and let them take photos, especially of my twin nephews. The problem is that they are not good with handling computers, let alone digital cameras. So even if i get them to use digicam, how do I even get them to copy the pictures over?

So my question here :

1) Anyone CEsers here have any recommended workflows that you recommend for my situation where I want to get my parents, who are not savvy with computer and camera, to use? I am thinking of Google's Picasa 3 (I personally use Lightroom which i think is a bit too advanced for my parents)

2) Is there any recommended straight-forward digicams to recommend for my parents who are not savvy with cameras? I understand that Canon Powershots has the "Easy" mode which does'nt fiddle with anything except flash and the on-off switch. My budget is somewhere ard $300.

Fellow CSers, pls give me your opinions. If this has already been covered, pls guide me to the thread as I don't know what should I search for!

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by narofx; 4th May 2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Nikon D300

Default Re: Recommendation Needed: Photography for Family

Go try out Canon Ixus 870IS or the fuji F200EXR.

Above your budget slightly but better quality pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    Go try out Canon Ixus 870IS or the fuji F200EXR.

Above your budget slightly but better quality pics.
    Thanks!!

Actually, i'm not too worried about the digicam, more of the workflow. Picasa3? Or any other free software??
    Nikon D300

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    Thanks!!

Actually, i'm not too worried about the digicam, more of the workflow. Picasa3? Or any other free software??
    why worry those pictures produce out by the cam that is ready for print right out from the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    why worry those pictures produce out by the cam that is ready for print right out from the camera.
    well, not all will be developed into 3R or 4R prints, maybe transfer them to a digital photoframe. And its also a way to force my parents to learn to use the PC.. :P
    Nikon D300

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    well, not all will be developed into 3R or 4R prints, maybe transfer them to a digital photoframe. And its also a way to force my parents to learn to use the PC.. :P
    each camera comes with it's own software to view and do simple editing.