Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ideas on Shooting

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SINJON
    Posts
    24

    Default Ideas on Shooting

    Hi,

    I am a student and I am going to shoot our graduation deparment photos. We want to have the professional type of look like in magazines(if possible) because we're going to print it for keepsake.

    I'm thinking of ;

    • Potrait shots of our lecturers
    • Group shots of our lecturers
    • We Students at work/library/workshop etc (mix of indoor and outdoor shots)
    • Our school building
    • Fun shots of students


    Is there anything else that I can include for our photoshoot. There will be 3 of my other friends taking photo together so we will have variety of pictures to choose from. Should we rent any particular equipment for our shoot ? (Lights, Reflector, Flash, Lens??)

    Would love to hear any feedbacks. Our shoot is this coming Wednesday !

    Regards

  2. #2
    Deregistered JT-Fied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In e Western part of SINGAPORE
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
    Hi,

    I am a student and I am going to shoot our graduation deparment photos. We want to have the professional type of look like in magazines(if possible) because we're going to print it for keepsake.

    I'm thinking of ;

    • Potrait shots of our lecturers
    • Group shots of our lecturers
    • We Students at work/library/workshop etc (mix of indoor and outdoor shots)
    • Our school building
    • Fun shots of students


    Is there anything else that I can include for our photoshoot. There will be 3 of my other friends taking photo together so we will have variety of pictures to choose from. Should we rent any particular equipment for our shoot ? (Lights, Reflector, Flash, Lens??)

    Would love to hear any feedbacks. Our shoot is this coming Wednesday !

    Regards
    If u wan it to be really good then i suggest u get strobes and reflectors to add to the effect... think out of the box and go through mags to get better ideas on how you wan your pics executed

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SINJON
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    What type of strobes and or reflectors ? You are not talking about tungsten lighting, right. Also, the positioning of strobes whereabouts should it be ? Rental of strobes, are they costly ?

    Thanks JT-Fied

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
    Hi,

    I am a student and I am going to shoot our graduation deparment photos. We want to have the professional type of look like in magazines(if possible) because we're going to print it for keepsake.

    I'm thinking of ;

    • Potrait shots of our lecturers
    • Group shots of our lecturers
    • We Students at work/library/workshop etc (mix of indoor and outdoor shots)
    • Our school building
    • Fun shots of students


    Is there anything else that I can include for our photoshoot. There will be 3 of my other friends taking photo together so we will have variety of pictures to choose from. Should we rent any particular equipment for our shoot ? (Lights, Reflector, Flash, Lens??)

    Would love to hear any feedbacks. Our shoot is this coming Wednesday !

    Regards
    Reflector is a must if it's shot in daytime under available light. The bigger the better, especially for group shot. Else, can get several too.

    Lens, wide angle for group photo... and probably fast ones (medium range) for portraits.

    Flash (strobes) is better than continuous lights as some people cannot stand looking into bright light for too long.

    Ideas: hmm... let's see... apart from the list suggested, can shoot at
    1. classroom (students pretending to do presentations)
    2. lab (pretending to conduct experiments)
    3. toilet (i don't know... can pretend to queue? plainly for artistic reasons. lecturers may not agree)
    4. canteen (can ask canteen operators to sponsor food also :P)
    5. inside the shuttle bus or at the bus stop

    just my 2 cts

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SINJON
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Great Ideas, I've written them down.
    What do you mean fast ones (medium range) for portrait ?
    Hahaha, might consider the canteen shots solely for the free food !!

    Thanks Happyfrog

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
    Great Ideas, I've written them down.
    What do you mean fast ones (medium range) for portrait ?
    Hahaha, might consider the canteen shots solely for the free food !!

    Thanks Happyfrog

    Fast lens with medium focal range 50mm f/1.8 (medium range) or 85mm f/1.8 (short telephoto) on a DX body would be good if bokeh is needed. I would recommend 50mm for the good working distance, easier to give direction.

    For FX body, go for the 85mm f/1.8 (medium range) or 105/135 f/2 (short telephoto)
    Last edited by happyfrog; 4th May 2009 at 03:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SINJON
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Ok Cool !

    So I shall rent the Canon 50mm F1.4 prime for Portrait shots of our lecturers.
    Initially, I had in mind the 24-70mm F2.8.

    As for group picture of the lecturers can I still do it on the 50mm or would it be better if I rented another lens ? Also, for the outdoor/indoor shots of us in labs, workshop, canteen, running track etc what lens would be recommended ?

    I was thinking of one lens for all shots. Hahaha..Save money leh !
    But I wouldn't mind splurging abit more money to enhance quality.

    hehe..Thanks guys !! More ideas or inputs, feel free..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Ideas on Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
    Ok Cool !

    So I shall rent the Canon 50mm F1.4 prime for Portrait shots of our lecturers.
    Initially, I had in mind the 24-70mm F2.8.

    As for group picture of the lecturers can I still do it on the 50mm or would it be better if I rented another lens ? Also, for the outdoor/indoor shots of us in labs, workshop, canteen, running track etc what lens would be recommended ?

    I was thinking of one lens for all shots. Hahaha..Save money leh !
    But I wouldn't mind splurging abit more money to enhance quality.

    hehe..Thanks guys !! More ideas or inputs, feel free..
    Hm... on 2nd note, I guess 24-70 is better. More versatile. Probably 1 more lens primarily for portraits. hahaha, can consider renting the big fat 50 f1.2 since you're a canon user. I'm a nikon user. Haha! but that's a bit overkill. i think 50 f1.4 is good enough.

    for outdoor, can try wider, distortions can look artisitic. 24mm and above will have minimal distortions.

    if you're using flash, then i guess you don't need fast lens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •