Thread: Incident: Shine Models agency

Default Incident: Shine Models agency

Saw this posted on another forum. What do you think? Sounds fishy.

incidently, Shine models agency did approach me on my way home in toa payoh mrt station a few nights ago. being new to this experience and easily coaxed into submission for an interview, i made a trip down to the agency in parklane mall today at around 2pm. my first impression of the agency was that it seemed pretty normal(people were going about doing their things). there were in fact, quite a number of males attending the grooming course, all looking so eager to become a potential model.

i was interviewed by a rather young looking but pleasantly groomed guy. i was required to memorise a number of lines and then told to act it out, as if i were modelling for the product. to my surprise, they seemed ready to accept me despite me giving a really horrid rendition of the lines. after that, i was asked if i would be interested in taking up part time modelling and introduced to their portfolio of works. all of these information captivated me greatly until the costing issues surfaced during the interview.

i was informed that i had to attend a 10-week course every saturday on grooming and things like how to strike a pose etc etc. while the course would amount to $1400, i only had to pay $200 for it if i signed an agreement with them (apparently it would be sponsored). next, i was required to do a photo shoot which would amount to $299. these photos would be sent to clients for evaluation and model picking purposes. along the duration of the whole interview, i felt that my ego was been stroked as they repeatedly used words or phrases such as "I think you have potential", "I like your look. I think you should give it a shot".

sorry for the really long and boring post, but i just want to present to everyone a really objective view on this agency and their approach. i'm not saying this is a hoax or anything, and in fact, i had actually contemplated about this offer (and i actually still am). dear all, i hope to obtain a valuable and objective feedback and this would be better if it could be from someone with previous modeling experience. the previous posts were definitely useful, but i hope to gather more information regarding this. on one hand, i don't wish for this to be a lost opportunity for me but on the other, i don't want to be cheated of my time and money (especially money since i am just a student).

thank you to those who bothered to actually read this and reply to it.

Default Re: Incident: Shine Models agency

sigh...they'll try anything these days to get u to part with ur $$$

they have been around for awhile and always seem to be supporting smaller pageants to look for new talents.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    they have been around for awhile and always seem to be supporting smaller pageants to look for new talents.
    Some model agencies sign up people who look good... other "model agencies" just sign up anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Some model agencies sign up people who look good... other "model agencies" just sign up anyone...
    these type of agencies have been around for years. still going strong because there are ppl who believes them.

Sounds dodgy.
    Just like camera shops, go for only the reputable ones.