Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Question on TTL flash

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    553

    Default Question on TTL flash

    I was wondering..knowing that the system would measure the distance and what not for the correct flash strength..will it know whether the flash head is pointing upwards(bounce flash) or towards the subject or to the back of the photographer..is its calculation based on flash head pointing forwards?

    correct me if i am wrong
    The Few...The PROUD...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ardnirun View Post
    I was wondering..knowing that the system would measure the distance and what not for the correct flash strength..will it know whether the flash head is pointing upwards(bounce flash) or towards the subject or to the back of the photographer..is its calculation based on flash head pointing forwards?

    correct me if i am wrong
    Please try to research this online: "TTL vs ADI flash". What you are thinking of is ADI flash. TTL means "through the lens", in other words, it measures the light coming through the lens and adjusts flash power accordingly.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Please try to research this online: "TTL vs ADI flash". What you are thinking of is ADI flash. TTL means "through the lens", in other words, it measures the light coming through the lens and adjusts flash power accordingly.
    ahh..my bad..i shall rephrase..
    does shooting with flash (in whatever context..ttl or adi flash) always measure correct exposure assuming that the flash head is pointed towards the subject?does the direction of the flash head affect this?
    Last edited by ardnirun; 2nd May 2009 at 09:48 PM.
    The Few...The PROUD...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ardnirun View Post
    ahh..my bad..i shall rephrase..
    does shooting with flash (in whatever context..ttl or adi flash) always measure correct exposure assuming that the flash head is pointed towards the subject?does the direction of the flash head affect this?
    Depends on the flash and the camera, really. In most cases, my camera gets it right (even with the flash pointed in a bounce position); sometimes not, which is when I need to manually override flash power.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    physically, light diminished as distance lengthen.

    and if you aim the flash head at an area, the light bounce back and light on your subject, you will lose two to three stops exposure compare aiming direct at your subject.

    when shooting TTL in bounce light situation, the flash will output more light to compensate for the correct exposure.
    Last edited by catchlights; 3rd May 2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: adding the missing words in red
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Member alexyap1205's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    170

    Smile Re: Question on TTL flash

    I am not very sure about this. I read from somewhere that the flash will fire some pre-flashes, then the camera will calculate the correct flash value, then it feeds the proper value to your flash. So, no matter what direction your flash head is pointing it will give you more or less the same exposure of the subject. Although your flash might work harder if you point it on other directions rather than direct.

    Please do correct me if I am wrong.
    M Y S I G N A T U R E :)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    TTL will more or less give you as close to what it deems is correct flash exposure, regardless of whether you are pointing the flash head forward, upwards, sideways or backwards. It will try its best, but it is not 100% foolproof.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question on TTL flash

    this is of course within the limits of the flash's GN, don't expect a proper flash exposure if what you're bouncing off is too far away and the flash is at its maximum output..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •