Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upset at Bedok Resevoir (Please Read)

Default Re: Upset at Bedok Resevoir (Please Read)

for what kind attire during a job when you are the official photographers, it depends on what type of event you are shooting, and also what type of style you are shooting.

for an instant, if you are shooting a family day or awards ceremony, best is to wear a uniform, like a polo shirt with company logo, so people can identified you as the official photographer, and you have the "passport" to do what you suppose to do without opening your mouth.

but if you are shooting a wedding, especially high end weddings, you need to blend into the crowd, so dress appropriately. last thing you want to be is dress like lion dance trooper in a wedding.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

During the old days if I am the official photog means I am THE official photog.Now a days
    there's alot of wannabe 'pros' showing up at weddings claiming so.What a shame.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

hi

sorry. how does one define "pro".

work with a studio/photography company?
    high end equipments?
    years of experience?
    or the one getting paid for the event?

but i believe TS should have brought this up to the bride when it happened on that day. it is a quite useless if he tells now. coz his images for the first day is already affected.

Cheers
    Shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

This other pro may say he's done Malay weddings before, but it clearly shows he still lacks any understanding of it.

Wearing shorts is a big no-no.

He is imposing his personal style as "superior" to the traditional Malay wedding style, which is plain rude.

I'm not even talking about being a "professional photographer". Even as a human being, this person just isn't being very nice.

Being a wedding photographer isn't just about photographic skills.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    This other pro may say he's done Malay weddings before, but it clearly shows he still lacks any understanding of it.

Wearing shorts is a big no-no.

He is imposing his personal style as "superior" to the traditional Malay wedding style, which is plain rude.

I'm not even talking about being a "professional photographer". Even as a human being, this person just isn't being very nice.

Being a wedding photographer isn't just about photographic skills.
    I agreed. The image of the photographer is important.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi

high end equipments?
    years of experience?

but i believe TS should have brought this up to the bride when it happened on that day. it is a quite useless if he tells now. coz his images for the first day is already affected.

Cheers
    Shaz
    For a given event, the one officially appointed and paid will be deemed the "pro" for the day. In this particular scenario, all other definitions of "pro" are irrelevant. Remember, we have to see this from the couple's point of view, and in all likelihood, they are laypeople.

Well, sometimes we have to learn from experience. When we encounter such things out of the ordinary, some of us may be too "shell-shocked" to know what to do in that instant. Yes, it's someone's special day, but at the end of the day, it's also just another job. We try our best to deal with the situation at hand, go back home to reflect, and then take this as a learning experience to better deal with future eventualities.

Moruzawa has got many more shoots to forward to, most will be good, some will be bad. Learn, and move on.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

icic. thanks for the clarification. appreciate it.

Cheers
    Shaz
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

just inform the client and let them settle....similar thing happened to me at a event shoot...it was an army event...this NSF keep blocking my shoots and tried to push me aside...which he fail...me quite big size..haha..

during the "break", i told the captain whom engaged me and they sort of "told him off"

haha....they also apologised to me saying that he is there to cover for some inhouse mag. After which, the NSF stood far far from me...

Bride's friend?
    Then the bride should tell her friend to stay away, not to 'ka-jiao', afterall, she is paying for the 'official' photographer, her friend will be spoiling her paid shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Alankpy View Post
    Think in future... all "official" wedding photographers must don an "OFFICIAL" pass so that everyone knows where to smile at during the shoot.
    we do have an official pass that shouts "ALL ACCESS"
    constantly learning & trying.

Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi

high end equipments?
    years of experience?

Cheers
    Shaz
    our images for the first day was not affected, thank you. we did manage to chase him away now and then, and he finally walked away, and sat by the bikes at the carpark only after our operations manager had spoken to him.
    constantly learning & trying.

Well, nowadays. More n more green horn or so call professionals in disguise became arrogant when they have the best equipment on hand. Come on, what's the big deal. I also have a D7** but I don't go round pushing people around. Know where ya stand is and do what's necessary. This kinda egoistic fella will be out of place someday...........

Hope he won't turn up again for the 2nd day. All the best!
    Videographer @ A Merry Moment

after read ur story...i feel sick with that guy..=,=

What's the agreement between the company and the client? I've got a set of T&C that includes clause like client should not engage another company or hire another photographer to shoot the event, friends and relatives are welcome to shoot so long it doesn't get in the way. The other thing is to have a clause stating that while you endeavor to provide as much coverage as possible, there's no guarantee any scenes can be recorded due to the live nature of the event. So in event someone gets in your way, much as we all hate it, that's really too bad.

For me, these terms are non-negotiable and if they don't agree to them, they should find another photographer, seriously. So far, I never had any problems with couples who find these 2 clauses unreasonable, neither have I needed to fret or sweat over scenes that couldn't be covered for some reasons. No one should fault you if you've tried your best.

Lastly, good thing you didn't lose your cool, and don't let this incident be a baggage... some of us have had worse crap than that before (which is partly the reason why these T&C exist) , but end of the day we still have to be amiable and smile to everyone

OMG TS, i feel for you..

if it was me, i'd rahter make a friend and ask you is it ok if tag along and learn a tip or two rather than just shoot and boast!

that guy has no respect, and worst boastful. if wha he said is true he is a wedding photographer, i would steer clear of him in my wedding in the future.

yes i agree that there are lots of photography kids out there .. im sorry to say though I've shot weddings and events , im still one of them. my age doesnt make me look pro at all and sometimes i observe the AD photographers to improve my style. but for a fact, i do seek permission if its ok to take some shots and ask for tip or two from the main photographer. when i shoot for others, its basic courtesy to ask rahter then just shoot thinking just because XX is my friend/family member i can do whatever i like.
    Last edited by NeTHaCk; 3rd May 2009 at 02:24 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

Take his photo and post here! HAHAH :P

I just got the same exact crap treatment a few weeks back. It was a terrible feeling because it was not just one wannabe pro photographer but three! Best part was one of the so called leader of the pro was giving lessons to the other two during my assignment! I completely understand how you must have felt that day.

At times, I wished there was some form of law or charter to protect us from jokers like these. But upon further thinking, it (a charter) would not solve the problem but create more because there will be more jokers who pops out every other minute thinking they got some of protection. Alas, subject to abuse which leads to more confusion and frustration. No thanks. There was a thread about this a long time back I think.

Anyway, lesson learned was the bride was the one that needs to be educated. Telling off these wannabes pros is not going to work because they think that they are doing a big favour to the bride by showing up. I am guessing the bride just said yes to everything their relatives', friends' etc request so until you pull the plug from the sink, crap is filling up every minute. Some bride even think having more back up photographer is good like in my case, it went the total opposite. Another bitter assignment I had to cover a couple of years back was the bride told me to give way to this slightly more professional guy just because he was her uncle. In the end both the bride and uncle are jokers because they spent too much time doing posing shots upstairs and guests were waiting downstairs who pretty much left without saying goodbye. Some pro he was.

On the flipside, since I am already paid and these jokers just pop out of nowhere thinking they can do the assignment better than me for free, I would just let them. Saves me a lot of trouble getting the good shot and I can do my other work. LOL! Some crazy thought... just kidding la.

What you should do in an event like this:
    1. Explain to the bride the situation because keeping mum only escalates the problem.
    2. Stay calm and continue to do your work to the fullest. Last thing you want to hear is an angry customer.
    3. If wannabe pro gets in your way, do it like I do. Get in front of his camera and get your shot.
    4. If wannabe pro is persistent, you react the same way too.

At the end of the day, this bitter assignment is only one out of the many great assignments you will get to do. Take it like a man and I am sure you will drift through it. All the these bad experiences are just like challenges in your everyday life but don't let them eat you up. Hope that helps and welcome to the club. LOL!

I think if I come looking like this, no one would bother me... LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I think if I come looking like this, no one would bother me... LOL!!

Nice Blink Blink. But if you really come like that, then the whole crowded will fix on you rather then the couple. But nice... maybe chill a bit down, dress up like MIB better .. lolx .. haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast