Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #61

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Honestly, i feel choosing a camp to stay in forever is hard, theres always temptation ( L Lens, Trinity, Better Flash system etc).

    So choose one which u are comfortable in and read up on both sub-forums what problems do most user of that Cam Model faced and what are they satisfied with.

    From then on. you can easily make a choice becos u will know the rpos & cons of different camps.

    IMO, choosing C or N over the range of lenses is pointless. L Lens? Nikon Trinity? Are u a professional who require such High-End Lenses? Im certainly not one, so im just happy with my third-party Tamron 17-50 Lens.

    Regarding the range and focal length blah blah, Humans are flexible, Lens too..just that it will burn your pocket.

    Good Luck on choosing side which you will never turn your back against!
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post
    Honestly, i feel choosing a camp to stay in forever is hard, theres always temptation ( L Lens, Trinity, Better Flash system etc).

    So choose one which u are comfortable in and read up on both sub-forums what problems do most user of that Cam Model faced and what are they satisfied with.

    From then on. you can easily make a choice becos u will know the rpos & cons of different camps.

    IMO, choosing C or N over the range of lenses is pointless. L Lens? Nikon Trinity? Are u a professional who require such High-End Lenses? Im certainly not one, so im just happy with my third-party Tamron 17-50 Lens.

    Regarding the range and focal length blah blah, Humans are flexible, Lens too..just that it will burn your pocket.

    Good Luck on choosing side which you will never turn your back against!
    Ok good point. I wouldn't end up with the trinity anyway. Cost aside, the lenses are just too heavy (I have a bad back). I would like to eventually get some F/4 lenses though instead of the F/2.8.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    I just bought D90 around last month, and lots of my newbie friends started to ask, "why Nikon, not Canon?".. and started the spec comparison, lenses, etc. Mostly I don't care, cause this is my choice.

    We started to share some pictures, and comments came more on the composition, over-exposure, under-exposure, etc etc, which (I think) more to a technique rather than specification... hehe, now where is the "specification/brand war".

    Reason I like Nikon? I just like it!.. Regret? Yes! I should have gone for D700 or D3x haha... (yea right, I wish)

    Anyway, I don't really bother with 12/14 bit or the MP for now, cause most of my picture will be ended up on Flickr or Facebook (mostly just to show off I think, or part of my learning), unless I learn enough to make my images profitable ($$$), which I wish when I reach that time, I will have financial freedom to buy 2 or 3 pro grade bodies (Canon, Nikon, or Hasselblad) and probably easy to throw my current D90 to my kids for their toy.

    Lots to learn for me rather than "dang, I wish I can have 64-bit raw image, or 120million pixels "

    My 2 cents.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Understood. I think I'd be quite happy with the D90 based on the feedback here. I'm actually at Cathay Photo right now and it does feel a bit heavy though (bad back, weight is an issue...especially with lens as well). *Sigh*

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    Understood. I think I'd be quite happy with the D90 based on the feedback here. I'm actually at Cathay Photo right now and it does feel a bit heavy though (bad back, weight is an issue...especially with lens as well). *Sigh*
    cool........play ard and compare with nikon or canon. both are good camera !!!

  6. #66

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Yep. I love the D90, I really do. And I'd be happy with the Canon 500D (just worried about excessive noise). Weight is an issue though. If it's a bit heavy then I just won't want to carry it around all day. I guess I have to prioritise. Anybody here take weight into consideration and did it prevent you from getting a heavier (and/or better) camera?

  7. #67

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    hi

    i nvr took weight into consideration. if weight is an issue with you. try nikon D5000
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  8. #68

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    hi

    i nvr took weight into consideration. if weight is an issue with you. try nikon D5000
    I was hoping to go just a little bit nicer than the D5000, but you have a point.

    Does anybody out there know for comparible lenses (similar focal range etc) which one generally seems to be lighter - Canon or Nikon? I think that might be a factor...throwing away the whole noise/colour bit depth issues and looking more at the practical side of things.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    I was hoping to go just a little bit nicer than the D5000, but you have a point.

    Does anybody out there know for comparible lenses (similar focal range etc) which one generally seems to be lighter - Canon or Nikon? I think that might be a factor...throwing away the whole noise/colour bit depth issues and looking more at the practical side of things.
    some len you might want to consider for example, tamron 17-50 f2.8. good walk around landscape and portrait len.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Ok. Just looking at some reviews and noticed that the D90 doesn't seem to do ISO 100 as a 'normal' function. I found the following:

    • ISO 200 - 3200
    • ISO 100-6400 with boost

    What does 'boost' mean?

  11. #71

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Was just going through the lenses available from both Nikon and Canon. Both have their equivalents of this "holy trinity" in the F/2.8 line. Canon in their L series also have a trinity which is F/4...both lighter and cheaper than the F/2.8 models (the F/4 is something I would definitely consider down the track). Nikon don't seem to have this from what I can see on their website. Or am I missing something?

  12. #72

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    uh i might have missed this but have you even tried comparing the results from the cameras for yourself? to see which you like? cause er... ordinary people try to choose something they like before they drop a couple of $K on it. i know you have inspector gadget tendencies but pls try to look beyond the specs.

    you're going to look like a massive w@nker yourself if you spent 10yrs choosing the one with the most bells and whistles but cannot deliver results you want.

    if all things are equal and only issue is your weight concern (as it should be if youre care at all abt your health) then just go for the canon. dont kill your back. you cant replace it. plus why would you want to get a camera that makes you want to sit down every 2 minutes... no matter how wow impressive the specs are you just end up not making full use of them.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by clwjk View Post
    uh i might have missed this but have you even tried comparing the results from the cameras for yourself? to see which you like? cause er... ordinary people try to choose something they like before they drop a couple of $K on it. i know you have inspector gadget tendencies but pls try to look beyond the specs.

    you're going to look like a massive w@nker yourself if you spent 10yrs choosing the one with the most bells and whistles but cannot deliver results you want.

    if all things are equal and only issue is your weight concern (as it should be if youre care at all abt your health) then just go for the canon. dont kill your back. you cant replace it. plus why would you want to get a camera that makes you want to sit down every 2 minutes... no matter how wow impressive the specs are you just end up not making full use of them.
    Thanks for smacking a bit of common sense into me I'll probably wait for a review on the 500D and take it from there. But you're right, money aside, there's no way I'd even consider something like the D300 or 5D Mk II purely because of the weight.

  14. #74
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    If weight is such an issue to you, might as well stick your ur current camera, getting a dslr only adds more weight in time to come esp if you are getting long lenses.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    If weight is such an issue to you, might as well stick your ur current camera, getting a dslr only adds more weight in time to come esp if you are getting long lenses.
    It should be ok. As long as I look at the lighter DSLRs. If I ever got into the telephoto type lenses I'd probably use them with a tripod at a predetermined spot, so travel there by transport and then stick it on a tripod.

  16. #76
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    bo liao, simply bo liao. until this stage still want to correct people english usage. you just want me to use my words carefully but in the first place who do you think you are, CS english teacher isnt? yes, maybe my england is not powderful but i am sure my intention definately give certain drive to TS.
    Why the need to attack me on a personal level?
    You are allowed to make such sweeping statements like "while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing...." as though you are some kind of market expert. I can also ask who you think you are? This will become some kind of personal attack. I don't want to stoop to that level.

    I tried a Canon DSLR before, and for reasons I will not go into, I decided to go Nikon when I got my first DSLR. But if my friend asks me if Canon makes good DSLRs, I won't say "all their DSLRs are lousy" because that statement is not true. Just that I had a bad experience with them.

    I repeat my point, which is that in a Newbies forum, when people are seeking advice and other newbies are also reading, don't make groundless statements without proper evidence.
    I focused on the word 'ALWAYS' because it changes the meaning of your statement.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 3rd May 2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Exploring! :)

  17. #77
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    It should be ok. As long as I look at the lighter DSLRs. If I ever got into the telephoto type lenses I'd probably use them with a tripod at a predetermined spot, so travel there by transport and then stick it on a tripod.
    You have to take into consideration the walking to and from your transport vehicle whilst carrying the camera bag (fully loaded) and tripod too.
    Usually the good photo spots aren't exactly vehicle-accessible, from my experience. Sometimes have to walk a few hundred metres or even more.

    If I may be a bit kaypoh, may I ask a bit more about your back condition? Is it a prior injury which cannot be overcome with some weight training/physiotherapy, etc?
    If it's an injury, I'd advise you to think hard about going down this DSLR path.
    I would estimate that a 500D (fairly light) with say, a walkaround lens like 24-105 f/4 L is still quite a heavy combo.
    Exploring! :)

  18. #78

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    You have to take into consideration the walking to and from your transport vehicle whilst carrying the camera bag (fully loaded) and tripod too.
    Usually the good photo spots aren't exactly vehicle-accessible, from my experience. Sometimes have to walk a few hundred metres or even more.

    If I may be a bit kaypoh, may I ask a bit more about your back condition? Is it a prior injury which cannot be overcome with some weight training/physiotherapy, etc?
    If it's an injury, I'd advise you to think hard about going down this DSLR path.
    I would estimate that a 500D (fairly light) with say, a walkaround lens like 24-105 f/4 L is still quite a heavy combo.
    I have scoliosis. It's a curvature of the spine. I look normal, and its fairly common to some degree (especially in females), but can't really carry heavy loads. I have regular chiropractic and physio treatment and do stretches and exercises every day to manage it.

    I tried the 500D in store with a lens on it and it felt pretty good. I tried the D90 with a lens too and even though its only about 200g heavier it was really noticeable to me, and it would be even more so if I had to hold it for extended periods of time. I think I might actually lean more towards the Canon 500D because of the weight. The noise concern would only be at higher ISO levels, right? I would probably only shoot ISO 100-400 anyway. I know the D5000 is lighter than the D90, but I'm not really too interested in that one after reading some reviews (lack of in-body autofocus motor, screen not as nice, and Nikon's entry-level models tend to have overly graphical menus and a lot of 'menu-hunting' can be required).

    All purely my opinion, no black and white of course. Do you think what I'm proposing makes sense? A kind ClubSNAPer has offered to bring me along on a photoshoot today with his D90 so I can try it out for a little while. That should help make up my mind. Thanks again for all your advice.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Why the need to attack me on a personal level?
    You are allowed to make such sweeping statements like "while one thing is for sure, nikon lens is always alot more higher than the canon on its pricing...." as though you are some kind of market expert. I can also ask who you think you are? This will become some kind of personal attack. I don't want to stoop to that level.

    I tried a Canon DSLR before, and for reasons I will not go into, I decided to go Nikon when I got my first DSLR. But if my friend asks me if Canon makes good DSLRs, I won't say "all their DSLRs are lousy" because that statement is not true. Just that I had a bad experience with them.

    I repeat my point, which is that in a Newbies forum, when people are seeking advice and other newbies are also reading, don't make groundless statements without proper evidence.
    I focused on the word 'ALWAYS' because it changes the meaning of your statement.
    you just did stoop to his level man.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  20. #80

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    I have scoliosis. It's a curvature of the spine. I look normal, and its fairly common to some degree (especially in females), but can't really carry heavy loads. I have regular chiropractic and physio treatment and do stretches and exercises every day to manage it.

    I tried the 500D in store with a lens on it and it felt pretty good. I tried the D90 with a lens too and even though its only about 200g heavier it was really noticeable to me, and it would be even more so if I had to hold it for extended periods of time. I think I might actually lean more towards the Canon 500D because of the weight. The noise concern would only be at higher ISO levels, right? I would probably only shoot ISO 100-400 anyway. I know the D5000 is lighter than the D90, but I'm not really too interested in that one after reading some reviews (lack of in-body autofocus motor, screen not as nice, and Nikon's entry-level models tend to have overly graphical menus and a lot of 'menu-hunting' can be required).

    All purely my opinion, no black and white of course. Do you think what I'm proposing makes sense? A kind ClubSNAPer has offered to bring me along on a photoshoot today with his D90 so I can try it out for a little while. That should help make up my mind. Thanks again for all your advice.
    you do know that the 500D is also a motorless body right?
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •