Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 340

Thread: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the wood
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Bro buy both case solve......
    Msz

  2. #42

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    What is this trinity you are talking about?
    I wouldn't get a third party lens probably because it's my understanding that you lose things like image stabilisation/VR and silent wave motor/USM.

    I read that digital cameras, unlike film cameras, tend to show a bit of noise with long exposures at night time (even with low ISOs)...is that true?
    dun be too quick to jump on a statement

    who says third party lens you will lose out things? third party lenses do make lens with silent wave motor/HSM/USM. this is to accommodate to camera bodies with no internal focusing motor.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    What is this trinity you are talking about?
    I wouldn't get a third party lens probably because it's my understanding that you lose things like image stabilisation/VR and silent wave motor/USM.

    I read that digital cameras, unlike film cameras, tend to show a bit of noise with long exposures at night time (even with low ISOs)...is that true?
    Nikon's so-called "Holy Trinity" of pro-grade lenses to cover most of the required focal range
    14-24 f/2.8
    24-70 f/2.8
    70-200 f/2.8
    If you get all 3 and a serious body like D700, you're looking at >$12K i think. Just a rough estimate. I haven't bothered to keep an eye on those lens prices

    My low ISO night shots are fine.
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    A lot of Nikon user are satisfied with their lenses and they chose to keep their glass rather than sell it and grab better one. I think thats the reason its hard to find cheap 2nd hand nikon lenses and 2nd hand markdown prices is almost like price of new one. Canon on the other hand, It seems a lot of canon user selling prosumer lens to buy L lens.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    dun be too quick to jump on a statement

    who says third party lens you will lose out things? third party lenses do make lens with silent wave motor/HSM/USM. this is to accommodate to camera bodies with no internal focusing motor.
    But you lose image stabilisation/VR right?

  6. #46

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    Hi TS

    firstly. Pls dont make sweeping statements. makes you sound like a fool.

    secondly. as a newbie, do you think the difference of 12-bit and 14-bit gg to make you a better photographer?

    thirdly. Kenrockwell says "all i need is a d40". here he is trying to say that you dont need those expensive camera ( as a hobbyist ) to take stunning pictures. ( my interpretation )

    fourthly, you sound like a canon supporter ( shooting down Nikon stuff most of the time ), then why bother thinking abt D90. get 500D then

    fifth, it is not really up to the camera to decide if you do get stunning images. but it is YOU who makes the difference. no matter how good the camera is, if you not good at photography you will not get good images. so think it is better if you emphasize more of your skills rather than on the make/build of the camera

    six, Canon Or Nikon, once you go thru the image in Photoshop, alter the colors, reduce the noise bla bla bla. it doesnt really matter which camp you go for. 2 similiar images taken by the 2 camera mention may just have the same output after photoshop.

    Cheers
    Shaz
    Not trying to make sweeping statements and not trying to sound pro-Canon or anti-Nikon. Just voicing some concerns I have with each brand.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    im nt too sure on that. but will you die/ not capable of taking pictures if there is no such functions?
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  8. #48

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    im nt too sure on that. but will you die/ not capable of taking pictures if there is no such functions?
    I think image stabilisation/VR is definitely something I want, due to its handheld capabilities without requiring tripod.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    oh im just voicing my opinion that your statements are sweeping. just my opinion.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  10. #50
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by chocofrost View Post
    A lot of Nikon user are satisfied with their lenses and they chose to keep their glass rather than sell it and grab better one. I think thats the reason its hard to find cheap 2nd hand nikon lenses and 2nd hand markdown prices is almost like price of new one. Canon on the other hand, It seems a lot of canon user selling prosumer lens to buy L lens.
    not true la. A lot of nikon users are selling their kit lenses and trying to upgrade to constant aperture lenses too. No point to bring up this issue. Will start an us vs them war.

    In the end we go back to the basics. Most amateurs would likely not accumulate more than a few $K worth of lenses. So choosing between Canon and Nikon (or Sony, Pentax, Olympus) would not yield significant cost savings on lenses. Say, you buy $4K worth of lenses. The difference might be no more than 10%. So there is no wrong brand decision here.
    Ultimately ergnomics (how it feels in your hands), ease-of-use (ability to set the things you want), and some features (eg. in-body stabilisation) will be the more determinant factors instead of 12-bit vs 14-bit and so on.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #51

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    oh im just voicing my opinion that your statements are sweeping. just my opinion.
    I guess when you're comparing brands you do tend to 'sweep' a bit when referring to their entire product line I get your point. Just trying to settle on a 'camp', lol.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    the VR/IS just allows you to shoot at a slower shutter speed without introducing blur. smth that you can overcome with either bringing the ISO higher so you can have a comfortable shutter speed or you just have to practise and overcome that hand held blur. VR/IS are recent technologies. there werent any during the film days. images do comes out stunning.. technology doesnt solve everything. Learn to overcome shortcoming.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  13. #53

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    the VR/IS just allows you to shoot at a slower shutter speed without introducing blur. smth that you can overcome with either bringing the ISO higher so you can have a comfortable shutter speed or you just have to practise and overcome that hand held blur. VR/IS are recent technologies. there werent any during the film days. images do comes out stunning.. technology doesnt solve everything. Learn to overcome shortcoming.
    For a walkaround lens at least I definitely want VR/IS. I don't want the noise associated with higher ISOs and its really handy not having to carry a tripod around at times. I've even noticed with my P&S what a blessing it can be. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by MelbourneGuy View Post
    For a walkaround lens at least I definitely want VR/IS. I don't want the noise associated with higher ISOs and its really handy not having to carry a tripod around at times. I've even noticed with my P&S what a blessing it can be. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    yeap i guess so. then may as well you go for SONY. it has in built IS in the body. coz nt all lenses have VR/IS. then you wont miss out on all the WOW pictures you can take.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  15. #55

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    yeap i guess so. then may as well you go for SONY. it has in built IS in the body. coz nt all lenses have VR/IS. then you wont miss out on all the WOW pictures you can take.
    I'm settled on either Nikon or Canon as a brand. And I'm prepared to pay a premium for IS/VR in each lens I get. Most of the newer lenses being released have VR/IS. But I get the impression you are making fun of me now.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    I just got my canon 500d and am a very happy user of it. Both camera's are good and reviews are very extensive. you have to differentiate which properties of the camera you prefer and weigh their advantages and disadvantages. Its very true that you don't need a good camera to take good pictures, the d90 and 500d should be more than good enough for your level of photographic skills currently. When you get better and outgrow your camera, just get a better one.

    It's very true that Nikon makes really good wide angle lenses. eg. the 14-24mm. It certainly beats even primes from any brand. Canon on the other hand excels in the longer focal range.
    I really hovered around this topic for quite a long time cuz i love to take landscape shots...

    But in the end, don't go for the 'better' camera, itll be like a never ending debate... Also there's a reason why canon and nikon market their products with such differentiation especially in the price range and that the lower end range is getting really extensive.. look at the features each one has and decide do i need/want this and which are the important ones that you really want to have, what kind of pictures you see yourself taking and what brands your friends and family use. Go and try out each camera, see which one feels better, looks better etc.

    MOST importantly, do your own research. Don't believe what the salesman says or even what we say. Everyone has their own opinion and preferences, so unless you want to buy the camera for someone else, take our opinions with a pinch of salt.

    Good luck with your dilemma! Oh yes, if you want to know why i chose the canon.. its cuz i think it looks better and the person paying for it thought that nikon had lousier technology than canon(not true!)

  17. #57

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    haha. it is funny how different ppl can interpret sentence differently. haha. well. i leave it to you.

    oh. mayb you might wan to do some research. there are lenses with one VR and some two VR ( correct me if im wrong) from the nikon camp. smth like horizontal and vertical VR or smth like that. smth for you to read up.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

  18. #58

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by GoheadGostern View Post
    haha. it is funny how different ppl can interpret sentence differently. haha. well. i leave it to you.

    oh. mayb you might wan to do some research. there are lenses with one VR and some two VR ( correct me if im wrong) from the nikon camp. smth like horizontal and vertical VR or smth like that. smth for you to read up.
    Yeah I read a bit about that. Some do/don't support things like panoramic panning horizontally etc. And number of stops difference they make. Easy to get confused

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Definition of 'ALWAYS' from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

    ALWAYS

    1) at all times - invariably
    2) forever, perpetually
    3) at any rate: in any event

    I don't see any definition like "often, most of the time"
    I don't want to start another Canon-Nikon debate here.
    I just want you to be careful of the words you write. Especially since this is a newbies subforum. If you make these sort of statements sounding like a pro or an experienced photographer, newbies would tend to believe you. Since your statement is not true ALL THE TIME, please don't make such statements.
    I would have preferred you say something like "some of the more popular lens choices, such as the 50mm f/1.8, tend to be cheaper than their Nikon counterparts". That statement is true.

    bo liao, simply bo liao. until this stage still want to correct people english usage. you just want me to use my words carefully but in the first place who do you think you are, CS english teacher isnt? yes, maybe my england is not powderful but i am sure my intention definately give certain drive to TS.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Canon 500D (T1i) vs Nikon D90

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodetucsamoht View Post
    bo liao, simply bo liao. until this stage still want to correct people english usage. you just want me to use my words carefully but in the first place who do you think you are, CS english teacher isnt? yes, maybe my england is not powderful but i am sure my intention definately give certain drive to TS.
    hey man. some ppl are just plain particular abt english. some just think they are btter. get used to it. we are in CS. a pool of different kind of ppl. cheer up mate. let him be.
    | An army of sheep led by a lion are more to be feared than an army of lions led by a sheep. |

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •